[Guide] Getting S Ranks

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Yea I can't get an S at Battle Busk at Fort El-Eal. Kyril, Seneca, and Andarc are at level 9 and most of the recruits are level 8. I keep getting rank A. I will try Fort El-Eal again in a couple of chapters. Sorry i've spent enough time and i have to move on with the game.
Strategy is the key to victory!
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

FINALLY, I have finished the first Underground Passage battle at Middleport. I can't believe what a difference giving Andarc Godspeed would make. I think turn count was the biggest factor in this game. I didn't waste any time clearing out all the monsters. I basically just took advantage of every opening I see that can help me advance to the destination (and using beads to reduce damage, of course).
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

good job, yea i have andarc and seneca equipped with godspeed and/or extra move. These are essential in getting S ranks. Also updating the level of your weapons at the best available blacksmith. But always remeber experience gained in battle also factors in. There are some cases where you can't rush through battles with high level characters and expect an S ranking like Obel Ruins map #1.

Alright, First battle at Ruins of Collanbal against pirates. This is right after fighting Busk at Fort El-Eal (i got an S rank later on at fort el-eal).
Pack everyone with beads of their affinity and defensive armor. Rene should have some defensive gear and a ton of Earth beads (important for experience). Rene should also have "godspeed" and "extra move" skills equipped. Usethe beads instead of digging if you can cause Rene gets more experience.

Alright my strategy will be a little less specific as you should get the hang of the game by now and know how to use elemental beads and position your characters. You should almost never have to stand by cause you can use beads on yourself for experience.

Ruins of Collanbal against pirates.
Formation: (North to South)
Tristan Rita
Kika Rene
Flare Andarc
Kyril Seneca

Send everybody south and attack the 3 pirates standing on the initial water terrain (small pond). While you finish off these pirates...
There are 3 pirates southeast that will engage your group next turn.

Send Rene, Tristan, and Rita to deal with the 3 pirate southeast of your group. There will also be a treasure where those pirates were standing.

Send everyone else West to engage the other pirates. These pirates are in groups of 2, even easier.
Once Rene has dug up the magic cape, send her to west toward the cobblestone road there will be another treasure just before you reach it.

The 3 pirates at the very west end on the coblestone have a decent amount of hp. You have a decent cohort attack and Kyril and Kika. When you fight them you should have taken care of most of the other pirates. Check their affinites and use the proper bead to weaken them and attack. You should be knocking out the last pirate by the time Rene digs up the second treasure.

Next Battle...

Justice at Merseto Port.
Yes, you can get an S rank while taking out ALL the pirates.
Formation: Kyril andarc seneca (Default)
On the other side (West to east) (Kika Tristan Rene). Equip wing mail on Tristan if you have one.

Send kyril toward the merchant, but do not step pass the small bridge.
Send Seneca back north to deal with the 2 pirates.
Send Andarc east and thunder runner the pirate that is standing on the pile of crates. he should be killed.

Send Kika, tristan, and Rene south. Rene is the last person to move every turn.
Always use an earth bead on Rene when she's not digging up treasure.
Kika and Tristan should have fun with wind beads and should have no problem dealing with the pirates.
Keep moving Rene toward the merchant. You will find treasure along the way.

Keep Kyril on the small bridge while fighting pirates, until seneca and andarc catch up and are right behind him.

Then move Kyril 2 spaces forward. More pirates will appear, but move andarc and seneca into position for dying wish attack. most of these pirates will be in range of the attack after they have made a move. you must nail at least 3 pirates. the more the merrier.
Andarc and Seneca will go up roughly 2 levels (tons of experience). But make sure to kill the merchant AFTER Rene has dug up the treasure on her way to the merchant.
I personally saved that bastard for a cohort attack after what he did to a kid. Cause after the dying wish attack, you can move andarc one square closer to Seneca for the cohort attack to finish the job on the next turn.

Next battle: An old acquaintance (Fort El-Eal... we meet again!)

Battle fishmen and Roget at Fort El-Eal.

Formation:
Rene Flare Andarc
Eugene(mounted) Seneca
Kyril

Send Kyril south and bring a fishman down to 1. (yes, he can't kill them cause of storyline.)
Send Seneca next to the side of the Northmost fishman so that she's facing southwest in facing the fishman group. Attack a fishman.
Send Andarc next to Seneca. Cohort attack. There should only be 2 fishmen left from the initial group with them even having a turn.
KILL the BLUE fishman first because he can med/repair. This applies for the entire battle.

Send Rene, Eugene and Flare northest toward the wall and rubble. A treasure will be there. Eugene and Flare are water affinities. Eugene is unstoppable on the kangacorn. However you need to dismount to go UP the rubble to finish off the enemies on the upper level.

Mizuki and Agaki will appear. Save the Ninja Attack for Roget if you can.
Rush Kyril andarc and seneca to their aid if they are having trouble. Sometimes only one patrolman will engage the ninjas. Sometimes an additional fishman will stay with the patrolman.

BeWare of Roget's sleep spells and Flame attacks. Use the correct elemental beads to weaken him down. More fishmen will appear around him. Kyril and Mizuki Agaki should be relatively close to each other before you step off the boardwalk to engage Roget. If Roget is chanting/casting a spell. Don't attack him. Get Mizuki and Akagi into position for the Ninja attack if you can and kill him in one attack.

Next battle: Battle Martin at Collanbal
you already got an S at this place when you fought the pirate. have fun with this battle.
If you didn't get an S rank yet...
You can sit Rene out for this one. the treasure is crap. Put in your top fighters and archers.
Rush Martin. Keep eyesight of the kooluk soldiers coming from the south.
But remeber to keep sending your entire group toward Martin. He's fire affinity so use a water bead on him when you get a chance. He loses roughly 37 hp on that terrain per affect. (per affect- you can switch the water to say.. earth and switch it back to water on the same turn phase, he'll lose 37 x 2 then).
Last edited by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah for places you can hunt such as Ruins of Collanbal, you might not want to worry about getting S rank in the story battles, you can easily get them later. more importantly, there are some valuable treasures to pick up in these story battles, and you won't be able to have an opportunity get them again.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

My gawd, Berserker Belt is great help for getting S-ranks. I gave Eugene all the power-boosting items, and his counterattacks almost always kill the enemies. Pretty neat!!!
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

I gave seneca the beserker belt. Sniper+Critical+Beserker Belt = long range utter destruction.
Eugene can be strong enough to take out an enemy per turn without the berserk belt, but it's good that you're making sure the job gets done.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah, I had a problem with the battle at El-Eal with Roget (those damn Fishmen were Water element too), so I gave Seneca the Berserker Belt. OMG BADASS!!!
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

arggg has anyone gotten an S rank for Obel Ruins map #1?
I've tried playing with low level characters but nothing seems to work.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I'm only going by theory, but Cedric + True Godspeed at S (or maybe even at A) might be key. If you have that Giant Crab blocking the exit, then it might be wise to use a mounted character that can beat its ass (Flare or Fredrica on an owl with a Berserker Belt could work, I guess), then just switch him out for Cedric, and head to the next level.

Use The Shredding and/or Double Edged Sword on the skeleton warriors up front to fulfill the damage factor.

Of course, if it doesn't work, then meh.... :P
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i have never gotten S in Obel Ruins 1 either. i think that's the only stage i can't get S in. maybe an elemental chamber, too but i think that's easily done if i New Game+ again.. oh well -_-
Loner Prime

Post by Loner Prime »

I am currently at Graska Palace but I can't seem to get an S. I finish the stage in 4 turns, doing average estimation of about 600dmg per hit (from 300 to 1500 dmg), I get hit for a total of 200 dmgs max and I am on my element colors about 85% of the time. Also, I get around 6000 exp. total. and I kill every enemies on the screen (+ the first wave of summoned fishmen but not the second wave). I even kill the eye fish on the very first round.

Now for my question: why do I always get an A ?

Do you think I should take an extra 2 or 3 turns to always stay on my element to reduce dmgs?

Anyone got a strategy to get the rank S in this stage?
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Okay, I *finally* got an S rank from the battle at El Eal with Roget. Seems the EXP factor was pretty heavy for this one. I seem to have overleveled Seneca and Andarc at Merseto (Dying Wish on all the pirates + Cohort on the Merchant = Level 14). It's a good thing you're allowed to keep them on the shelf. I replaced them with Flare and Trishtan (both at Level 8).

I sent only Trishtan to the northeast part. Rene was there to support him with Earth Beads after digging up the Wing Shield. Eugene, as usual, was the tank, and absorbed hits from the Fishmen up front, while Flare (with attack boost from Berserker Belt) cleared them out. She and Trishtan gained a ton of experience (about two levels) because of their low levels. Maxine and Kyril took care of Roget. Maxine casted Flaming Arrows, followed by Kyril's Flying Swallow. Then I just cleaned house. Took quite a while longer than my previous plays with Andarc and Seneca, but I got an S, as opposed to the A's I've gotten in previous tries.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

"going by theory, but Cedric + True Godspeed at S (or maybe even at A) might be key."
Nope i won in 2 turns using Cedric. Avg damage dealt was 330 cause all i did was use Lazlo's Double edge sword on one enemy. gained like 2000 experience from beads with low level characters. Took only 28 damage.
still no S rank at obel ruins map #1.
WTF @!#$#$@%$%@%$# is there a special requirement??? Please if anyone achieved an S rank in Obel Ruins Map #1, your help is greatly needed!
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I shouldn't have deleted that other save that I had. I could have given this a spin.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

yay! got S rank in Oberl Ruins 1. I accepted the Oberl Ruins Quest and obliterated the map with Lazlo (lvl 20+) + Wizard Rune + Tome and Double Edge-Sword Spell on Wind terrain = Complete Utter Destruction
My average damage was like around 400-500. Lazlo is the novel name for the Hero of Suikoden 4.

anyway, proceeding with the story...
Caleron Laboratory Part 1.

Formation: Front Row (left to right): Kyril Seneca Andarc
Back Row (left to right): Corselia Tristan(with Wing Mail) Lazlo

Move Tristan one square in front of Lazlo. Use wind force bead.
Move Lazlo in front of Tristan. Cast double edge sword.
Move Andarc to a lightning terrain toward the 3 fish. Map is litered with them all over. or use a lightning bead.

Send Seneca, Kyril and Corselia (remeber to use elemental terrain correctly at ALL TIMES) left toward the bridge and block it off at the other end with Seneca and Kyril next to each other and Corselia behind them. (this will take 2 turns, but just in time to block off the incoming fishmen on the otherside of the laboratory).

fishmen will come down and move into range of double-edge sword.
finish off those fishmen will Tristan and Andarc's lightning spells.
Move Lazlo up and cast double edge sword or eternal ordeal on the blue fishman.

Have Corselia cast Breath of Ice on the fishmen engaging Kyril and Seneca. Finish them off.

Switch Tristan for Kika and position her and Lazlo at the center the pathway. Talk if you don't have the double sword attack yet. Move Andarc toward Kyril and Seneca. Double Sowrd Attack the fishmen that appear. Finish off the fishmen before you switch Kika for Rene to dig up the treasure, which is around where the initial batch of fishman were.Use Lazlo's punishment spell (double edge preferrably) to get the chest.

Meanwhile, after finishing off the fishmen that are engaging Kyril and Seneca, move the entire group toward the fishes that have beeen standing around the whole time. Always keep Corselia behind them. Andarc should moved to join the group at this time. Again, engage the the fishmen that appear with Kyril and Seneca with corselia safely behind them. If andarc is close enough for lightning spells, use it. Kill the highest level fishman first.
Get Seneca and Andarc into position for cohort attack.
Then, finish off any other enemies that remain.

If you still couldn't manage an S rank... here
Caleron- Part 2

Formation: front Row: (left to right) Andarc Lazlo Seneca
back row: Left to right: Kyril, Millay (mounted), Corselia

Send Lazlo and Seneca straight up and next to each other with wind terrain. Lazlo cast double edge sword.

Andarc move up as far as possible. Beserk Blow the fishman engaging lazlo. Basically, form a barrier with Andarc lazlo and Seneca. Move Corselia behind them. cast water force for her. then cast breath of ice next turn. Use Andarc to cast lightning on the patriarchalmen on top and try to kill off one of them (preferably the archer).

Move Millay and Kyril Back toward the fishmen on the other side of the map. Millay should be at a close level to Kyril's. She should be able to almost reach those fishmen first turn. Cast fire terrain on her. Engage the fishmen correctly. Keep moving Kyril toward Millay and AWAY from Roget as far as possible.

Send seneca, lazlo and andarc toward the patrlmen after finish off the fishmen. Use Must use Lazlo's double edge sword if you want to get the chest.
kill the patrlmen and stay relatively spread out heading toward Roget. Move close to the Stairs at the back past Roget with Seneca and switch Seneca with Rene and dig up the treasure. The treasure spot in the guide is wrong. If Roget starts chanting, Damage him at all costs even if you do 1 damage. Hilarious show: Lazlo double edge only on Roget. You must keep Roget alive for the dig treasure if you want it. keeping one fishman alive will prevent re-spawns. But finish Roget off right after you get the treasure.

Ambush at Terrain Plain
You DO NOT need to get an S rank here. You will easily get an S rank when you recruit Mitsuba here in a duel with Kyril later on. Have fun with this battle.
Tips: the enemies are grouped and each group only has one element affinity. Use beads correctly. If the mercs start attacking you. Eliminate them first at all costs. There are dig treasures at the starting spot and behind the bounty hunter.

Hope In Haruna:
Formation: Front Row (left to Right): Seneca Kyril Lazlo Corselia
Back Row (left to Right): Eugene (wing mail-mounted) Tristan (wing mail-mounted) Flare Andarc

Important: Lazlo with Wizard rune and other magic boosts if you wish. Seneca with Hawk Rune.

Send Lazlo as far up as possible. cast Eternal ordeal on furthest kooluk soldier. should be dead or almost dead. finish him off with a mounted character.
Send Seneca as far up as possible. Strong Arm a kooluk soldier.
Send everyone else up. Use wind terrain effectively. use Simeon's water terrain to your advantage when you can.

Engage and kill off the soldiers here. You can nail the kooluk soldiers attacking simeon with Flare.

when more kooluk soldiers appear, send everyone with wind rune affinity straight up to the end of the roof of the house you're on and form a barrier on wind terrain. Use Lazlo's double-edge sword while doing this..
Move Corselia behind the barrier and cast breath of ice on the incoming kooluk soliders. Kill off all soldiers near the barrier before moving to the next roof.
Send Kyril and Andarc left and up the plank and finish off those archers.

engage the remaining soliders with Kyril and Andarc. Move Flare toward them to help out. cast lighting on treasure chest.

Switch in Rene for Tristan. there's a dig treasure on this next roof and also near Simeon. You will need to keep one kooluk solider alive to get the second treasure and then finish him off.

Small Border Village.

Front Row (north to south) Corselia Kyril Seneca Lazlo
Back Row (north to south) Andarc, Eugene (wing mail mounted), Flare, Kika

First turn: Send Lazlo straight right toward the kooluk soldiers and cast double edge sword on them. I managed to kill all 3. but you should be at least be able to kill 2. Retry if you don't kill at least 2.
Send everyone else as far right as possible except Andarc.
Andarc should be able to kill one rune cannon with a beserker blow (preferrably the one closer to the middle of the map).
Heal Andarc with Corselia next turn.

knock out the other Rune cannon with another Beserker Blow next turn.
Move everyone up the pathway, don't go for the chest, you'll open it with andarc later on. Set up wind terrain ahead when doing this so Lazlo can just move up and double edge sword incoming kooluk soldiers on the next turn. Knock out those shields with Kyril's swallow cut if you want.

Engage and kill the kooluk soliders. More kooluk soldier will appear.
Keep setting up wind terrain for lazlo as you move toward them. Use double edge sword wisely. Also, use Kika's falcon rune at ALL times.

jewel Paula and Selma will apppear. Send jewel and paula straight up north. talk.
Move Selma toward kyril, but she probably won't reach the rest of the party by the end of the battle. you can just set her on a wind terrain.

Use Jewel and Paula to attack the archer under the Tree. Remeber to Stay OUT of the rune cannon's range. This applies for everyone else. You can check the rune cannon's range. You can hit the first treasure chest with andarc's thunder runner.

kill off more Kooluk Soliders, but remeber to stay out of range. Switch Eugene for Cedric. Move Cedric to the left side of the tree. Switch Cedirc for Rene next turn. There should be a treasure there.

Only archers should be left before proceeding into Rune cannon range.

Move Lazlo ahead and double edge the rune cannon near the tree.
Move Kyril and Kika up toward the remaining Rune cannons. use elemental terrain.
Keep the mages back.

finish off the remaining rune cannons while also opening the chest.
Last edited by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.