good mount characters?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

son_michael wrote:if you put a character on the armored kangacorn you will gain defense and lose speed, the regular kangacorn is the opposite and you would lose defense and get increased speed if you mounted the regular 1
actually you gain speed from an unarmored Kangacorn, the same amt as an Armored Owl i think. your speed stays the same with an armored Kanga, and you gain more speed with the Red/Blue Owls. you lose Evade on a Kangacorn though.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

ok Kf, I just checked and below is a little experiment with snowe

Snowe LV 29= no mount

attack 91----------- DEF 64
mov 5--------- JMP 2
str 41--------- PDF 35
skl 45--------- MDF 19
MAG 17---------- SPD 33
EVA 34---------- LUC 15

Snowe LV 29 mounted on regular kangacorn

Attack increase to 111{20 point increase}

Move increases to 8{up by 3 points}

strength raises all the way up to 61{20 point increase}

evasive drops to 23{11 point decrease}

speed goes up to 36{3 point increase}

jump is reduced to 1{reduced by 1 point}

Snowe LV 29 mounted on armored kangacorn

Attack increases to 111{20 point increase}

MOV increases to 8{up by 3 points}

strength goes up to 61{20 point increase}

Evasive goes down to 23{11 point decrease}

Defense goes up to 74{10 point increase}

jump goes down to 1{reduced by 1 point}

physical defense goes up to 45{10 point increase}

ok so based on these stats

both kangacorns make you lose 1 jump ability

both kangacorns increase attack and strength

both kangacorns increase move

both kangacorns decrease Evasive

Regular kangacorn gives an added bonus in speed and an armored kangacorn gives the added bonus in physical defense and Regular defense
yeb

Post by yeb »

I could have sworn I posted this before, but I can't remember where. Your numbers clearly match mine, though.

Kangacorns: +3 MOV, JMP = 1
Normal Kangacorn: +50% STR, +10% SPD... -30% EVA
Armored Kangacorn: +50% STR, +30% PDF... -30% EVA
Useable by all 1h sword, spear and throwing weapon users.

Owls: +2 MOV, JMP = 4 (dunno if that has any effect for the owls)
Red/Blue Giant Owl: +30% STR, +30% EVA, +30% SPD... -30% PDF
White Giant Owl (Armored): +30% STR, +30% EVA... -10% PDF
Useable by all 1h sword and spear users, and most archers (not Seneca). Archers have their range increased by 1 while on an owl.

Bonuses from equipment that affect attributes will also be multiplied. It always rounds the final stat down.
-yeb
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's not both ATK and STR that get the bonus, it's just STR. if it's both, then you would get a huge bonus and do more than without a mount with S in Battle Lust. that's not the case.

i would assume 4 in Jump goes the same as any other character, the Owl can change between a difference of 4 levels. They can't go further! But there are very little places you can test... what's the level of the upper vs lower floor in Obel 5? Oh, a definite place you can test is the northern start point of the Cyclone Chamber--can the Owl immediately go down without any MOV penalty (the penalty might exist because the Owl should have to go down a few stairs before dropping 4 levels to the ground level..)

and yeb, you had posted it in the Mount System sticky - http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 9&start=15
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

KFCrispy wrote:it's not both ATK and STR that get the bonus, it's just STR. if it's both, then you would get a huge bonus and do more than without a mount with S in Battle Lust. that's not the case.
huh? im confused here, I clearly stated that snowes attack rises when ever he mounts either kangacorn and I have seen it with my own eyes, so attack AND strength do indeed increase from both kangacorns, the difference is armored kangacorn gives a bonus defense and regular gives a bonus in speed
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Naw, you're wrong. Only one stat is increased and it's STR. That's the only stat that get's the boost. You see, ATK is a combination of STR and weapon strength. The boost from the Kangacorn increases your STR not ATK. If the kangacorn affected both stats then you'd be doing a heck of a lot more damage than you are. If you don't believe me, take 50% and add it to your STR stat and i guarantee you that it'll come out to be the number that shows up when that character is mounted. Then go back and add 50% to your ATK stat and I can guarantee you that number will be wrong.
I hope everything is going delicious.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

im not good with percentages... all I know is on my tv screen..the moment I put snowe on a kangacorn his attack stat and strength stat go up, now whether the game is lying to me or not I dont know, im just telling you what I saw everytime I put snowe on a kangacorn

do you guys at least agree with me that the game tells you the attack stat and strength stat goes up?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok.. um.. both do go up. but it's because Total attack value = STR + WPN

so if you add 5 to STR, your total atk went up 5 as well. but the Kangacorn does not directly boost the total attack (some modifiers in past Suikoden do; they modify the total attack value after STR and WPN are added up). a character with 100 STR will end up with 150 on a Kangacorn. the result is the total attack value went up by 50, reflecting that change.

is this clear?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yea I understand what your saying, it dosent really make sense why they did it like that though
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

Is battle lust completely useless on kangacorns? I mean battle lus isn't just supposed to increase number of swings... It's also supposed to increase the overall damage. So does this overall damage increase apply when mounted? Or is battle lust really absolutely useless for mounts?

And does the dodge skill work when mounted?
Long time lurker...
Buff

Post by Buff »

battle lust just increase the number of swings, not swings and attack. but yes you lose that ability when you are mounted. which doesn't matter since you can a extra attack boost when you are mounted.

don't know about the dodge. but usually when you are mounted you are most likely going to dodge the attack anyways. unless they cast a spell.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

If you look at the thread on skills, it says that other than increasing the number of swings, Battle lust also adds extra damage after the opponent's defences has been taken into account...

I'm asking if that aspect of battle lust will apply when mounted.
Long time lurker...
Buff

Post by Buff »

no, battle lust will not work if you are mounted as i stated in my last poast.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

yes overall attack will increase due to the fact that strength is increased.

"Total attack value (ATK) = STR + WPN." Thus ATK is a function of strength. any changes to STR will be reflected in ATK.

The Downside to having kangacorns is some of your physical skills will be deactivated like Battle Lust AND Weapon Runes will NOT work either. Generally, Weapon Runes are BETTER than Using Kangacorns for attack purposes if you are at a decent level (20+) or when you have access to your Level 3 rune ability usage (It is the set of numbers under your HP on the TV screen).

Strategic Advice: When you get to a certain stage of the game, you can mount AND dismount during battles. At this point of the game, you should be using Kangacorns for Movement purposes.
Example: You start your turn already mounted. Move to an enemy (preferrably behind the enemy). Dismount. Use your weapon rune (lvl 2 or greater). Next turn, Mount again. Move to another enemy or an ally in bad health. Attack or heal. Then repeat this whole process until you crush all enemies on the battlefield. yes, CRUSH!

Owls are much more handy than kangacorns. the EVA increase can come in handy. Plus you are immune to terrain effects which is a good thing if your enemies are putting down your weak terrain effect all over the place. So I tend to leave my female characters on Owls for the entire battle. But I would definitely dismount my archers to cast a Strong Arm attack (2x damage). Seneca, Flare and Federica oh my!.
Strategy is the key to victory!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

mounting and dismounting will delay that character's next turn, so it's not always the best idea. dedicated Kangacorn users can take advantage of the Kangacorn Rune, of course, dealing great damage. i think you should definitely keep some mounts free for movement purposes, of course...