mage/magic properties (what the heck.. maxine)

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
kenshindono

mage/magic properties (what the heck.. maxine)

Post by kenshindono »

ok this has been bugging me for a while now. I decided to take maxine as my fire mage. For 2 reasons. I liked her a lot in IV (why is she fire and not wind?... whatever), and i really really hate katrina so she was ruled out at the start. The thing is Maxines magic stat kinda sucks. Every time i lvl up with her she only seems to get one point into her magic stat. At lvl 13 she was on par with crappy aldrac for magic. Shes lvl 18 now and its still pretty unimpressive

does she start getting like +3's or 4's later or something? because all these pathetic +1 to magic increases are making me think i may have to use katrina despite how much i hate her
108 Stars X

Post by 108 Stars X »

I use Maxine, I don't know the answer whether or not she gets high MAG stat, but you should equip a Wizard Rune on her as soon as possible and she will have plenty of MAG power.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Maxine doesn't get +3's but she is definitely on par or slightly better than Andarc in terms of MAG stat, and Andarc is pretty good as well..... Katarina, Roget and Pablo are what you should consider normal/weak mages. early on all the mages will lack spell numbers, but all you really need is level 2's and a level 3 or so, take them to Obel and level them up with the rest of the gang.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Maxine's current MAG stat in my game at Level 28 is 49. Is that high enough?

Oh yeah... if you want her to be a Wind Mage, just give her a Cyclone Robe. That's what I did. :P
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

heh i just got the wind robe, good idea, thats just what i did.

I just noticed something as to why her stats were only getting +1 magic every lvl... it looks like your stats go up randomly every time you lvl!!! WTF?!? is that for every character? Thats kinda retarded. Is there at least a formula that gives mages more of a chance for magic, ect? I hate random stat increases in games
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Maxine is a fire mage becuase she's wearing red. Have you noticed how the mages (except for Andarc) are colour coded to their element?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I kept maxine a fire mage but I also gave her a wind rune, so she has a wind rune and a fire rune in my game, I think its a great idea to combine fire and wind characters or in this case combine both elements into 1 character
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

kenshindono wrote:heh i just got the wind robe, good idea, thats just what i did.

I just noticed something as to why her stats were only getting +1 magic every lvl... it looks like your stats go up randomly every time you lvl!!! WTF?!? is that for every character? Thats kinda retarded. Is there at least a formula that gives mages more of a chance for magic, ect? I hate random stat increases in games
stats have been random in EVERY suikoden game.
I hope everything is going delicious.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

hmm i think your right about the color thing. Actually ya, ardac has those little purple straps on his robe so he matches too =D

are you serious? stats have been random in every suikoden game? wow i've played them all and have never noticed that
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Are there spell combinations in this game like scorched earth (fire and earth)?
Strategy is the key to victory!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Yes and no.

Yes, because all five of them appear in this game.

No, because they function like any other unite attacks in the game, attributed to specific pairs of mages. e.g. Katarina/Jeane unleashes Lighting+Fire, Pablo/Katarina has Fire+Earth, etc.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Oppenheimer wrote:Maxine is a fire mage becuase she's wearing red. Have you noticed how the mages (except for Andarc) are colour coded to their element?
Jeane is in black, Simeon is in white
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Ah well I don't have Jeane (although that surprises me that she's in black now. . .) but doesn't Simeon have bits of blue in his robes? I thought he did. . . but I could be mistaken. White is still kinda watery. What runes does Jeane start with? Maybe she's meant to be an allround good mage and hence have all colours combined into black.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

andarcs clothes are white, yet hes a lighting type
I havent gotten jeane yet either, but I believe shes also a lightning type
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

We already discussed that son_michael
kenshindono wrote:hmm i think your right about the color thing. Actually yes, ardac has those little purple straps on his robe so he matches too =D
Still it seems supiciously common to have mages match their element even if it's not a rule. Too bad they weren't consistent that would have been cool to have everyone colour coded to their element, at least I think so.