Persuade Me to Play [Tactics...]

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Sun of a Studio

Persuade Me to Play [Tactics...]

Post by Sun of a Studio »

Alright I have a problem. First I don't know where to put this. Two I just got off a long and tired venture with the game Gladius...did I say game? I meant Satan's Maze Of Anger. So after playing and trying to stomach Gladius I find Suikoden Tactics and lucky days...no wrong Ken (that's me) Suikoden Tactics is the same basic outline as Gladius. Walk around a world map to cities and towns you can't explore. I can't stand this setup. I can't go into Middleport but instead I have to pick between shopping or...what? I haven't played the rest of the game because of this.
Now maybe I'm pre-judging Suikoden Tactics. To be fair I've hated every single Suikoden game at the start. I hated Suikoden I because I was stupid and thought graphics were everything. I hated Suikoden II because they ditched Hero I. I hated Suikoden III because it was 3D (quite a change from the first one) and I hated Suikoden IV because the characters. Of course after playing a little I began to love all of those aspects and the games themselves. But Gladius left a bad taste in my mouth and I just don't like being thrown into the same formula again.
That was a month or two ago. Can anyone persuade me to give Tactics another shot? Thanks for the time I just took from you :).

Well, please be more specific with topic titles next time. -p
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
happyfatball

Post by happyfatball »

Ha, you seem like you have had some bad times with games. Anyway i am not really a SRPG type of person, i dont really enjoy them that much. BUT, suikoden tactics is the exception for me, after playing suikoden 4 and find myself wanting to know more about the characters, suikoden tactics filled that hunger. As far as a SRPG goes im not really sure how to rate this with the others because i havnt played any recent ones, but i am finding this game very enjoyable because of the fact that you are finding out more about the characters from suikoden 4... *SPOILER*

for instance at the beginning of the game when you learn more about brandeau and peak *the assasin you fight with brandeau in the beginning of 4* i was already starting to appreciate the game. I truly believe if your a hardcore fan of the suikoden series you will enjoy the game, and enjoy it more if you played 4 because you get to play as Lazlo, and Snow if you loaded the save data.
Sun of a Studio

Thanks. I might actually pick it up again. The only problem now is I have to wait. I have decided that as soon as my Suikoden II comes in the mail I'm going to play the entire Suikoden line of games starting with the first of course. This means I might be able to finish all the games just as Suikoden V comes out and then pick up on that one. By that time the Gladius hatred may have subsided. :)
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel »

Well, it fills in gaps on IV. And for Suikoden fans, any info is awesome. You get to meet some cool new characters, and there is good replay value. I have 120 hours on my game, and I was once in the same boat as yours.
"Your father's dead....he passed in his sleep.
And I woke to the sounds of her crying."

-The Light & The Glass
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

if you dislike the suikoden series so much then why are you a member of a suikoden website and why is your avatar of jacques?
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
Sun of a Studio

wicked_rune_bearer...did you even read my post? If you had you would have known that I said that initially I disliked each Suikoden game but then grew to love each of them. My post was asking for inspiration to give Tactics another shot even though I had a bad experience with a SRPG. Try reading it next time...
happyfatball

Post by happyfatball »

heh are you going to play the games in the suikoden timeline or the order they came out?
Sun of a Studio

Lol I'd have to say order in which they came out. Just so I don't confuse myself along the way. I may just have to beat Suikoden I in under 50 hours for once which means no time for aimless leveling up of characters who don't have much purpose but are pretty awesome regardless.
happyfatball

Post by happyfatball »

heh i recently tried playing suikoden 1 on a playstation emulator and i beat it in one day.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Im not the biggest fan of game like Suikoden Tactics and wasn't a big fan of SIV, i however did like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle Cling together.

Anyways my question is even though i didn't particulary enjoy SIV and im not a big fan of these type of games, is it worth it to pick one up (i would rent one but i haven't found a store thats renting it out) or am i not missing out on too much.
I know this is mainly opinion, but im just wondering if people would recommand this game.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Queens Knight wrote:Im not the biggest fan of game like Suikoden Tactics and wasn't a big fan of SIV, i however did like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle Cling together.

Anyways my question is even though i didn't particulary enjoy SIV and im not a big fan of these type of games, is it worth it to pick one up (i would rent one but i haven't found a store thats renting it out) or am i not missing out on too much.
I know this is mainly opinion, but im just wondering if people would recommand this game.
Au contraire, I like tactical RPGs a lot and enjoyed Suikoden Tactics a great deal. Yet I found FFT and TO:LUCT gameplay to be mostly more tedious than they are worth.

Since you've mentioned that you like neither S4's story or the tactical subgenre of RPG, I'd recommend against purchasing the game.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Queens Knight wrote:Im not the biggest fan of game like Suikoden Tactics and wasn't a big fan of SIV, i however did like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle Cling together.

Now I hated Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea but I liked most of Ogre Battle 64. I also didn't like Suikoden IV's plot but very much enjoyed Suikoden Tactics.

So it's hard to say. It's really not like most other tactics games. I think I liked it because it wasn't overly complex whereas FFT and Disgaea were.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Oh, Ogre Battle games are fun. MotBQ was awesome, but I haven't had the privilege to experience OB64 yet.

It's its sister Tactics Ogre that's rather tedious. And, from there, they derived Final Fantasy Tactics.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

FF Tactics and Disgaea weren't bad or complex for me. Yea suikoden tactics is real easy to get along with. It's a standard tactics game with assists and terrain enchantments. Average to good plot. But it is a very good "sequel" to suiko4. play both games to understand the history behind the Island Nations and Koluuk empire if you're interested.
Strategy is the key to victory!
The 109th Star

Post by The 109th Star »

I found Suikoden Tactics to be quite enjoyable since it was different from the other Suikoden games. It was my first SRPG game I ever played, and it led me to other games such as Stella Deus and Disgaea. I wouldn't mind seeing another Rhapsodia in the future.
“I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.” -Will Shriner

"Yep...Shocking horror..." Crow, MST3K "The Screaming Skull"