Awww... Snowe isn't a powerhouse.

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Antimatzist

Re: Awww... Snowe isn't a powerhouse.

Post by Antimatzist »

Snowe isn't really good imo because...

- he's a 1-Hand-Swordsman, you have a lot of them and a lot of them are better (Trishtan or Sigurd)
- You get him on Lvl 1. Leveling up isn't a great deal most of the time, but still it needs some work.

On the other hand, his water-affinity can be useful, but still I think he isn't as good as he was in S IV.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Sigurd is a dart thrower, not a one-hand sword user. But regardless, yes, Sigurd is a much better unit. I usually use him, Snowe and Flare together since they all have the water affinity.

Never really use Tristan because earth affinity is rare and doesn't seem as useful. Millay is the only other one-handed sword user worth using, as the other Razril knights seemed subpar to me (I only used them with Snowe and Lazlo for the goodwill conversations). But even though Millay has higher attack, Snowe's HP and speed still beat hers by a long shot (she seemed rather slow).
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

honestly, when I first got SIV (it was the first one I got)
I thought Snowe was going to be like an older-heavy warrior type guy.

Well, I was wrong.
No, he's not a powerhouse, but he isn't bad either. I think I took him to the final boss.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Blutigengel wrote:Sigurd is a dart thrower, not a one-hand sword user. But regardless, yes, Sigurd is a much better unit. I usually use him, Snowe and Flare together since they all have the water affinity.

Never really use Tristan because earth affinity is rare and doesn't seem as useful. Millay is the only other one-handed sword user worth using, as the other Razril knights seemed subpar to me (I only used them with Snowe and Lazlo for the goodwill conversations). But even though Millay has higher attack, Snowe's HP and speed still beat hers by a long shot (she seemed rather slow).
Oh, I didn't mean Sigurd, but Hervey. Sorry!

Yeah Earth Affinity is Rare and sometimes annoying (when your enemy is a wind mage and uses this Sleep-Spell on you...), but it's helpful to have him fight some Thunder-enemies.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I never bothered using Hervey in IV or Tactics. Not sure why, because I heard good things. I guess the 4 person party system in IV made me choose between him and Sigurd, and the long range/better magic was more useful to me. Anyone I didn't use in IV I didn't really use in Tactics; I a creature of habit, I suppose.
RangerDeon wrote: No, he's not a powerhouse, but he isn't bad either. I think I took him to the final boss.

He's always in my final party :) I used him from the moment I recruited him- favorite character bias aside, he had decent stats once leveled (which took two seconds, since leveling in IV is way easier) and the combo is too good to ignore. It's too bad that it isn't as useful in Tactics.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

honestly, when I first got SIV (it was the first one I got)
I thought Snowe was going to be like an older-heavy warrior type guy.
When I first saw the name Snowe on this site while my game was being delivered by Amazon, I thought he was going to be a girl.
Forgive me, but in my opinion, he's not far off.
I believe you, however when you say he's powerful.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Haha, he can look a bit feminine, at times, but that's why I like him :)

He is quite powerful though, especially his combo with Lazlo in IV. You should give him a chance, really!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Sagiri wrote: When I first saw the name Snowe on this site while my game was being delivered by Amazon, I thought he was going to be a girl.
Forgive me, but in my opinion, he's not far off.
I believe you, however when you say he's powerful.
I can see how you saw that. I would have thought the same thing, but SIV was my first one and he looked older than Lazlo so I thought he'd be his mentor, then I heard him talk and was like "oooOOOoOOooOOoh"

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Sagiri wrote:I dont use Snowe because 1) I hate him 2) he's a killable charector and I am afraid to use those. Just my luck, getting a tank and then having it leveled off and killed (Hello, Trishtan!)
You know, this is exactly why I wished everyone stood a chance to permanently die, like the Fire Emblem games.
newsuikofan

Post by newsuikofan »

patapi wrote:
Sagiri wrote:I dont use Snowe because 1) I hate him 2) he's a killable charector and I am afraid to use those. Just my luck, getting a tank and then having it leveled off and killed (Hello, Trishtan!)
You know, this is exactly why I wished everyone stood a chance to permanently die, like the Fire Emblem games.
Then again if you actually know how to play strategy RPGs at all then your characters won't die unless they are extremely underleveled(my Simeon after getting the items for his quest, was the only character to ever die when I played because I didn't use him ever and yeah he was a story character so the one time when I was forced to use him he died because he was like 20 levels lower than the enemies).

I used non story characters in my front lines all the time like Rita(always in my party), Trishtan, Jeremy, Ameria, Millay, Maxine(always in my party), Snowe, Gretchen, Axel(he was too slow), Pablo and Red Mercenary.

Of course I used mostly story characters, because they just happen to be my favorites and also most of the best characters in the game damage wise.

Really Rhapsodia isn't anywhere near as difficult as Fire Emblem games, so as long as you don't just rush every enemy group with a killable character then you shouldn't lose anyone(even in the ruins).

Now if Rhapsodia was as difficult as Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of Plume with keeping your characters alive then yes, being killable or not would make a difference(although I managed to only use 5 union plumes in the A path(1 of them was because I was fooling around with a map that had 1 enemy left, and I wanted the character that died to get the exp) and that is pretty much insane).
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Still relatively more difficult than the average Suikoden, all things considered.

Like Fire Emblem, aiming to get S-rank (or AAA/whatever) without losing anyone and/or grindfest-ing is where it's at.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

newsuikofan wrote:
patapi wrote:
Then again if you actually know how to play strategy RPGs at all then your characters won't die unless they are extremely underleveled(my Simeon after getting the items for his quest, was the only character to ever die when I played because I didn't use him ever and yeah he was a story character so the one time when I was forced to use him he died because he was like 20 levels lower than the enemies).
Well sorry, I was in Graska and someone thought it would be funny to use a big spell so I was SOL. So I only use non-killable characters and it works fine for me.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Snowe can be useful, the reasons have already been described, such as his water affinity. I had him at the max level, at 50 and he was by far the fastest character on the board enemies and allies combine.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Snowe isn't a godly character by any means, but his high turn frequency makes him suitable for various strategies. i was thinking that the next time i play this game, i would use my proposed Kangacorn+Violence Rune strategy with him (discussed here http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9537 under In-battle strategies)
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

The violence rune saved his life on my game quite a few times! I have a bad habit of rushing in... tsk tsk. It's a good strategy regardless. I usually have gale, violence and flowing sword on him, though once he's a high enough level (basically, once he catches up) he's fine without the gale.