[Guide] Obel Ruins

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [Guide] Obel Ruins

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:Really? Sure she has higher magic stats but still she's more fragile.
Katarina has more PDf and HP, but Corselia has better Mag, MDf, Eva, and she's unkillable. More Mag for mages also means free rune slots earlier. Don't use mages as tanks, avoid physical damage.
Corselia's skills should be: Water magic, Extra Move, Godspeed, Concentration
Extra Move is awesome. Cast a spell and move out of danger.
Attach a Flowing Rune, Wizard Rune and Gale Rune. Equip Mag-Up equipment on her. Now, if she has a decent level and when standing on positive terrain, her Ice Breath spell can kill a dragon.
Where Flowing Rune can be found?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Simeon starts with one, otherwise you can get these hihj level elemental runes from the respective elemental dragon.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:Simeon starts with one, otherwise you can get these hihj level elemental runes from the respective elemental dragon.
I'd rather keep it to Simeon he's very useful to take out those Elemental Spirits.

Anyway what elements do you use for Level 5 chamber where 3 Golems (Earth, Lightning, Fire) appear? Earth Golem is very near to your party and it's very dangerous. I know a good way to take it out is by using Pirate Family Attack and then Double Sword Attack as quickly as possible...but it's very risky for Dario and Nalleo since they can die if Skeletons are around. :evil:
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

So now I have 3 Thunder Dragons and 9 Skeletons (4 Fists, 4 Sword, 1 Bow) in Thunder Chamber. They are leveled 34-37. Any good techniques here for S rank or anyone who managed to finish this particular version of TC with an S Rank? Or there's no way out?

I tried using different parties, but I don't want them to be more than level 30 since I might miss S rank due to lack of EXP. I thought about using characters with high MDF and Evasion (like Corselia, but unfortunately she's Level 32 now) but still they are gonna be blown away if Skeletons Attacks are successful (especially fist Skeletons), even if I'm on positive Terrain and they are on a negative one.

Also Fist Skeletons have very high Evasion and if I miss a hit they'll Cross Counter and my characters will be KOed after just one hit. So it's better to use some spell to take 'em out as soon as possible, but still if they won't get killed by Skeletons they might get killed by Dragons.

I dunno, but I can't go back now since I went all this way. Should I give it up and hunt Treasure in this Chamber instead?
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

How can you miss an attack? Are you using Rita and Charlemagne? Why the hell would you use normal attacks against Fist Skeletons?!

Are your characters set up properly?
- Mag up equipment for all mages: Magic Hand, Tome of Black Arts, Simeon's Spellbook, Archmage's Glasses, Woven Grass Medal, Iskas Bracelet
- Maxed elemental magic for all mages
- For Fire and Lighting mages use lower version runes
- Improve Spd whenever possible: Godspeed Anklet for all characters, Perfect Armor, Wing Shield, Merchan't Cap, Imperial Ring; Gale Rune if 3rd rune slot available
- Maximize movement: Extra Move and Godspeed skills for all characters if available
- Specific weapon rune for all fighters -> Always attack with spells for 100% hit chance, as well as more damage in most cases
-> equip berserker belts on all fighters (can be farmed in Mido Shallows from Savage Frogs), no problem as long as hit chance = 100%
- Str up equipment for all fighters: Strength Sash on all fighters, Ogre Breath, Hand of God, Power Gloves, Dragon Scale Bracers, Rusty Cog, Razril Knight Token
- Maxed Battle Lust skill
- Maxed weapon levels
- Any good cape for characters with very high MDf, Magical Cape for all others

Focus on the treasures. Who cares if you get that useless S rank Thunder Chamber item on this 2nd, or your 3rd or 9th playthrough? You won't get a different ending or any benefit.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Never mind I just did it after many tries, and got an "S" Rank. Thankfully it worked well, and luck plays a major role here too. If Dragons don't cast their Level 4 Spell then you are lucky.

I used Champo and Frederica on the left and Trishtan (on a Kangaroon) and Yellow Mercenary on the right. Have Champo lay a Mother Earth Terrain where the 2 fist Skeletons are, and have Frederica (equipped with a Berserker Belt) use her Hawk Rune to take them off, in one shot. Same thing I did with Thrishtan and YM. But you must move before the Skeletons make a move. It's quicker that way.

I used Jeane and Andarc as mages to take off the Dragons. Dragons are very vulnerable to magic which is good.
Wolkendrache wrote:
Focus on the treasures. Who cares if you get that useless S rank Thunder Chamber item on this 2nd, or your 3rd or 9th playthrough? You won't get a different ending or any benefit.

Sorry but I disagree. Technically it might be useless, but it's a unique item. Well it might be just me though. Others like to collect everything whilst others might not focus on it much.

Oh well now, only Cyclone/Flowing S Rank remained and Iskas' Bracelet. Tomorrow I will go for Cyclone. Hope I won't get the 3 Dragon version. :roll:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

While the S Rank items are unique, you can try and get the ones in the ruins with infinite tries, and the treasure is more worth it and there is probably some rare unique equipment there as well (refer to Wolkendrache's guide her ein the board for that).
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Damn it....I got only an "A" in Cyclone Chamber again....due to my mistake when I casted a wrong spell and lost some turns perhaps. :evil:
Antimatzist wrote:While the S Rank items are unique, you can try and get the ones in the ruins with infinite tries, and the treasure is more worth it and there is probably some rare unique equipment there as well (refer to Wolkendrache's guide her ein the board for that).
I was about to search for treasure on my next playthrough. But as I told you before I can't leave a unique item behind...even if it's the most useless thing. It's a collector's thing let's say.

But honestly I believe it's kinda unfair to get crappy rewards for making all this effort to reach each chamber. It should be something like +20 MAG up for each element.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But as I said, it's not unique, because in theory, you could try to get it a billion times. If you're afraid of getting too much EXP, save before every runthrough and load it when you don't get S Rank (or any good items).
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:But as I said, it's not unique, because in theory, you could try to get it a billion times. If you're afraid of getting too much EXP, save before every runthrough and load it when you don't get S Rank (or any good items).
Well but if you finish each chamber...then there's no turning back unfortunately. You have to go all through it again.

Now only Cyclone remains and Flowing. I want to go for Flowing's S Rank against the mercenaries, there's no way I'm going all through it again. So basically only Cyclone remains.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Don't underestimate the quest battle against the mercenaries in the flowing chamber. They will change terrain like crazy, and Yellow Mercenary will even use magic sword. I don't remember the Mercenary Leader's rune, but if it's a flowing rune, she will most likely use Silent Lake. And worst of all: you can only use 4 characters! I didn't want to overlevel my best characters for the final story battles, so effectively I only used Wendel, Eugene and Simeon iirc. However I don't remember the rank I got, perhaps no S.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:Don't underestimate the quest battle against the mercenaries in the flowing chamber. They will change terrain like crazy, and Yellow Mercenary will even use magic sword. I don't remember the Mercenary Leader's rune, but if it's a flowing rune, she will most likely use Silent Lake. And worst of all: you can only use 4 characters! I didn't want to overlevel my best characters for the final story battles, so effectively I only used Wendel, Eugene and Simeon iirc. However I don't remember the rank I got, perhaps no S.

Well but having to finish off 5 Levels first till I go to Flowing Chamber...it's ridiculous.

And yeah Mercenary Leader is a Water mage. So I guess using Water fighters here like Coop, Eugene or Wendel is better. Mermaid Robe can also be equipped to someone like Seneca and make her a Water character. Kyril though could be a problem since he's week against Water. So maybe giving him a Thunder God's Garb or a Windspun Armor might help?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm pretty sure that with 2 memory cards you can copy an in-battle save so you can keep trying the same battle. the in-battle saves are deleted once loaded so you would just have to copy them between the 2 cards before each attempt.

the items are what will make you stronger for an S Rank attempt in the future (probably in New Game+), but honestly after we cracked the parameters of what constitutes S Rank, it's really not worth the trouble since the requirements can be a bit arbitrary, mainly the number of turns spent on your positive terrain--- if you don't spend X number of turns on your characters' elements, it greatly reduces your chance to S Rank, meaning if you beat a stage too quickly you won't get it.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Actually it wasn't so hard. I managed to get "S" in the Flowing Chamber against the mercenaries by my first try. Although it's my 3rd playthrough, which means I have gathered lots of good equipment so far.

I used Sigurd, Mizuki and Wendel (Level 22, 21 and 21 respectively), and Kyril with a Windspun armor. Sigurd is actually a very good character I have noticed. He had his 3rd spell available (Magic Sword) by Level 22 only. He could take out the mercenaries in one turn if he was attacking them from the rear, so he was pretty quick. Although Mercenary Leader helped by accident. She casted a Breath Of Ice spell, and she damaged one of the mercenaries, without killing him, which made it easier as well.

All good, now only Cyclone Chamber reward remains in order to have all "S" Rank items.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

How often Air Lizards appear in Rage and Thunder chambers? I wanna get those rare Armors found there, and they can only be found in the configurations, where Air Lizards included. I have give it 4-5 tries so far, but still nothing.