S Ranks

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

I'm starting to believe that Exp gained is a huge factor.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Not necessarily. Since I have a portion of my characters at max level, 50, I don't get much EXP from anything, but I'm still able to get S ranks.
I hope everything is going delicious.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

well so far the common theme im noticing for my 2 S ranks are

characters leveling up
max amount of damage to enemy units
minimal damage to your characters
staying on positive elemental tiles and making sure the enemy is on negative tiles

all of that = S rank

I think lazlo is the key to getting S rank, just get him to a high level and power his punishment magic up
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

I'm going to have to disagree with that Lazlo statement, michael. While Lazlo is drastically overpowered, it is quite easy to get S rank without him. You could replace him with about anyone and still yield the same results. It''s all about knowing your characters strenghts and weaknesses and using them as a means to an end. Since I've got Lazlo at level 50, I usually don't use him unless I'm in one of the elemental chambers and I've still been getting s-ranks by putting in random characters in his stead. I even used Coop, who happens to be slower than a retarded turtle, and manage to still get S-ranks, so, trust me when I say Lazlo is about as important to getting s-ranks as Brec and Jango were in Suikoden IV.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

well im new to getting S ranks so you would deffinetley know more than me, in both instances that I got my S rank I believe it was because of lazlo's massive dammage to 1 enemy from the second spell and the minimal damage to my characters and the level ups,ill keep experimenting but right now il be using lazlo for my S ranks
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

There's a walkthrough at GameFAQs that states the different factors that contribute to higher ranking. Number of turns, average damage, elemental terrain, etc.

But I'm sure that has been mentioned in this big thread, so don't mind me. :|

In other news, I'm finally getting S-ranks. Of course, only on story battles. Monster hunting is another story. :|
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the problem is we don't know which ones count more or less, and some of the variables in the coding are ambiguous.. others sound like they judge the same detail of a battle. EXP is definitely a major factor though, if you don't earn enough, it's nearly impossible to get S. i've had characters get hit for major damage and still get S so i don't think that factor is too big of a deal.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah, Eugene was my damage-absorber. He got like 300 HP worth of damage dealt to him at Terana Plains, but I still managed to get an S.

I'm guessing more EXP = higher ranking, because Lazlo gained about 3-4 levels (from 16 or 17-20) in the Caleron Lab, and I managed to get an S.
owe71n

Post by owe71n »

on Battle 7: Middleport Secret Underground Path
Rita gained 5 lv from 1 to 5
Seneca gained 3 lv from 2 to 5
Kyril (lv 5) & Andarc (lv 6) not gained even a lv because most of the time i set them to standby or change element terrain and let Rita & Seneca kill the enemy to boost up their lv
all of them lightning element and most of the time they step on +affinity (thats why they do max damage n receive min damage) except kyril.
unfortunatelly, i still got A Rank (tried 10 times)
maybe i should try on Chiepoo Quest
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the rating system is very quirky. i still have yet to get S rank on Obel 1, and i just took the level 35ish Mercenaries to fight level 50 enemies, and they all gained at least 10 levels each. still can only get A.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

did you inflict high amounts of damage to the enemies? I still think that leveling up low level characters and inflicting massive damage is the key to getting S rank, you also have to make sure your characters get minimal damage
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hmm probably averaged in the 400's. i used Kangacorns and pumped up the Merc Leader's magic with Wizard Rune so she did 1 hit kills.
Jeane fan

Post by Jeane fan »

I think there's a cap on each catagory so you can't just do JUST one or two and get an S. You need to balance it so that you're pretty good in all catagories.

We all know that just stepping on your own element turn after turn won't get you an S. Same with gaining dozens of levels.

I'm at a point in the game just before Small Border Village and I just gotten S rank for every map, and multiple times for some. Most of the time I miss out on S rank because I take too much damage, so minimizing damage seems pretty important. Also letting guest characters die will cost you as well. (I got an A on the Nay-Kobald battle when one of them died, and then I reloaded and got an S for keeping them alive.) Taking too many turns also costs me, usually when I'm treasure hunting with Rene.

Levelling up doesn't seem to be a MAJOR factor, as long as you can pull out a couple of levels, it's all good. I like to mix in 1 or 2 lower level characters. And I find using unite attacks liberally will help, even when it'ts just a 1-target attacks (eg, Double Leader) as the extra damage will up your average.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

This only applies for the early stages of the game as the damage done by unites never really increases.
owe71n

Post by owe71n »

FINALLY I GOT S RANK ITEM IN Battle 9: Nest of Pirates (Edgar's Cape ) AFTER TRYING 14 TIMES (A RANK IN A ROW)!!!!

in first time playthrough i got S rank in
-Battle 5: The Night Sea, Part II (Steele's Shield )
-Battle 6: Back Streets of Razril, Part III (Razril Knight Token )
-Battle 8: Secret UnderGround Path/Secret Room (Archmage's Robe )

But I miss S rank item in Battle 7: Middleport Secret Underground Path (Archmage's Glasses ... sad)
maybe i should try on Chiepo quest... but anyone know the name of the quest in Middleport Secret Underground Path?

Is there any S rank item that i miss in previous battle?