friendly fire in typical SRPGs

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

friendly fire in typical SRPGs

Post by KFCrispy »

we know you can hit your own allies with area attacks in S3 - is this a typical trait in SRPGs? the difference would be that your allies can't exactly move out of the way (well you can make it possible in Rhapsodia)...
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

It's rare, but I have encountered that before in a few SRPGs. Final Fantasy Tactics is the first one that comes to mind.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I believe it was not possible in Vandal Hearts, but was possible in Vandal Hearts 2.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

dragonmasterx wrote:It's rare, but I have encountered that before in a few SRPGs. Final Fantasy Tactics is the first one that comes to mind.
Yes that rings a bit of a bell.
KoRnholio wrote:I believe it was not possible in Vandal Hearts, but was possible in Vandal Hearts 2.
As does that. I'd personally prefer if there was no friendly fire in Rhapsodia, I think that by maneuvering your skills and magic during combat to avoid hitting your allies would need and consist of puting alot more thought and preparations into your attacks.

I know this may sound a bit evil but, and especially in Suikoden II, I would have loved to have the chance to use physical and magical attacks on your party. That'd sure teach those characters I don't like. *cough* Zamza *cough* Sheena *cough*
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

dragonmasterx wrote:It's rare, but I have encountered that before in a few SRPGs. Final Fantasy Tactics is the first one that comes to mind.
Didn't it go both ways with FFT? If I remember correctly Black Magic would affect anyone in the area of effect but Summon Magic would only affect enemies or allies depending on if it was a defensive or offensive type.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

"Didn't it go both ways with FFT? If I remember correctly Black Magic would affect anyone in the area of effect but Summon Magic would only affect enemies or allies depending on if it was a defensive or offensive type."

Indeed.
Faust

Post by Faust »

In FFT Black and White magic affected anyone in range. You could physically attack members of your party also.

Vandal Hearts 2 actually had some hidden dialogue if certain characters attacked each other. Pike and Agora/Alora(sp) had one for each other if I recall, as did the Hero and his sister.
Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

Friendly fire played an important role in Disgaea, the best ending in the game could only be achived by not killing anyone on your team. there were also endings that could happen by killing your team mates too much before a point in the game.
JT

Post by JT »

Not only in Disgaea, but in all the Nippon Ichi games, though I'm not sure about the importance of it. I remember I was trying out Makai Kingdom a week or so ago, and I killed off most of my party with my relatively powerful mage/witch. Stupid mistake.
Riou's Reincarnation

Post by Riou's Reincarnation »

The friendly fire can play an important role in strategy.
Say one of your characters had armour that absorbs fire equipped and use a fire spell next to an enemy. The enemy would take damage and the user would be healed.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I think friendly fire lowers the relationship level.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Actually, I think it just disables the character from using unite attacks for the remainder of the battle. A broken heart icon is displayed for this.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

so friendly fire does exist and it seems to not damage allies but disable unites?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

It damages allies AND disables unites, I think.