Kooluk royal family's last name?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Kooluk royal family's last name?

Post by suiko2fan2 »

They're nobles (royals) why doesn't the game ever mention their last name? Emperor Julius, Corselia, Martin, Busk, Ornela should a noble surname or some kind. Anyone know it?
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Antimatzist

Re: Kooluk royal family's last name?

Post by Antimatzist »

Why would they need one? Did CHarlemagne have a surname?

Fact is, you don't always need one, even as an emperor.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Name one other royal family in the main Suikoverse that didn't have a last name. I just think the writers of tactics were lazy and trying to rush the game.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You never hear the names of Falenas family in the game, you only get it from sourc ebooks, iirc.

There are probably three other royal families in the games? Barbarosa Rugner, the Blights, the En Kuldes. It's not like that's a lot of examples for it.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Different nations could have different cultures, maybe Kooluk's culture simply didn't use any last names.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Actually every character in Suikoden has a last name, but it's not mentioned. Even characters like Mina, Antonio and Sansuke have one.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sasarai10 wrote:Actually every character in Suikoden has a last name, but it's not mentioned. Even characters like Mina, Antonio and Sansuke have one.
No, they don't have one.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

“I believe that a story comes to life only when taken as a joint collaboration between storyteller and audience. While many things may be open to interpretation, there is no wrong in how each and every one of you fans may interpret and imagine a story. I hope you will each embrace the truth that you reach for yourselves.” (Murayama, SRM community interview)
If there’s no official information about the use of family names, then each of you is right.

You can’t deny the tendency that people of a high social rank are referred to with their family names. If I ask myself why Freed has one while Gorudo doesn’t, then my imagination tells me that Freed inherited the name from a more merited ancestor while Gorudo is the first from his family to reach such a high rank. Same with the Highland generals. Moreover, I’m thinking that Sonya’s mother was only referred to as Kilauea in her lifetime. She became one of the five great generals, and her daughter inherited that position. Only since then Kilauea is posthumously referred to as Shulen, because then this “noble” family has been created. Likewise, had Highland won the war, then Culgan’s and Seed’s descendants would perhaps be referred to additionally using their last names. In the Suikoden world it seems family names are only worth mentioning if they tell a story, so I actually agree to Sasarai10’s idea. (I do not make claims, it’s just my imagination! No need to tell me I’m wrong unless something is contrary to official information.)

IMO, the question why the Kooluk royals are not referred to using a family name is absolutely legitimate. It is indeed one of few exceptions in the Suikoden universe we know so far. Gaien/Obel and Scarlet Moon do use family names; Kooluk is located somewhat between these but apparently doesn’t. I’m confused by the fact that we didn’t meet a single Matilda Knight with a surname while Ridley has one. Perhaps some regions indeed don’t use surnames at all. IMO this tradition is most compatible with monarchic/aristocratic systems, so I actually don’t expect the Toran Republic or the ninja, elves, kobolds etc. to use it, but Matilda and Kooluk… why not? But in the end I don’t care too much, Tactics has an underwhelming story anyway, so I’m focused on gameplay mainly. Returning characters and runes were enough to satisfy me content-wise.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Sasarai10 wrote:Actually every character in Suikoden has a last name, but it's not mentioned. Even characters like Mina, Antonio and Sansuke have one.
That's simply not true. The official information states clearly that last names are a rarity reserved for nobles and people of great distinction. The vast majority of people in Suikoden's world have no last name. The exact system for gaining a last name varies by country but it is not particulary easy in any known nation and most people who don't have one by birth will never get one.

Freed has a last name by birth because someone of his ancestors did something to deserve it.
Humphrey was given his for his military service.
Percival got his when he was knighted.

On the flip side, plenty of commoners rise to high positions without gaining a last name, like Annabelle who was the leader of the City-States yet not granted a last name, and Lepant despite becoming the president of the Toran Republic did not get a last name.

It's even mentioned in-game in Suikogaiden how rare it is for Nash to have a last name that he has to lie about it to alleviate suspicion.

As for the topic at hand, if you've named yourself Emperor already you have all the authority you need to get a last name and it's unlikely that this family would not have one but much like the weird case of the name of the Governor of El-Eal it's never been revealed.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I look at it this way: In Tactics, we learn that Kooluk had different factions. The Imperial faction, who are the ruling family including the Emperor, Corselia, Ornela and Busk, and the Patriarchal faction, who are the higher up citizens that don't have royal blood, including Iskus and Roget. with the use of these factions, it might have become a bit confusing to throw royal surnames into the mix, so the developers might have thought it best not to come up with a royal family surname. It would have been nice to know which name connects Corselia to her aunt and uncle and other ancestors, but it wasn't entirely necessary, and doesn't make a huge impact on the gameplay. We have the two classes conflicting with each other, and that seems enough. Throwing names around might cause some players to get bored and confused.