The S rank journey

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
highwind44029

Re: The S rank journey

Post by highwind44029 »

Gozz Rune and Eagle Rune are pretty good. I put a Master's Vest on Nalleo and he just goes crazy with the Gozz.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Yes Antimatzist, I’m really looking forward to watching your run. I have no doubts you’ll kick ass, but I’m very curious about how you do it without using those strong command runes (except Kite and the fixed ones), and without using extra move with your melee fighters.

The unbalance status is never a problem. Either you wipe out a wave of foes completely, so once you reach the next foe the status is gone; or you use extra move to draw the unbalanced character on a better spot (behind the front line or just out of reach of the enemy); or you level up anyway as you said (about every 2nd or 3rd hit actually).

As for accuracy, you say it’s not a problem. Don’t you use berserk belts? Whenever my characters have these belts, no matter how high their Talent stat (what’s it in English?), they regularly miss their attack, especially on spirits, lizards and skeleton fists (f#cking cross-counter), but also on others. But I must add that I don’t raise accuracy skills (except for snipers), so that’s adding to the problem. This is one more reason to look forward to watching your strategies.
gildedtalon wrote:I just checked, 1 Breath of Ice by Corselia on water terrain is enough to kill the dragon. Corselia's MAG is 115
Okay, Sigurd, I missed him just now

I can always get the enemy configuration that I want with save states. No matter which of the 3 exits you go for, you will get the same enemy configuration for the next floor. So just try again on another person's turn
Killing a dragon by 1 Ice Breath, even better!
I didn’t get what you said about configuration. If you have a different character walking to the exit, the configuration for the next level might change?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

You know there are 3 exit squares, I was talking about that, if you load state and try each square, the next floor will still have the same configuration
Yes, on each character's turn, there is a chance it will change the configuration you get or was it a new turn? Yesterday, I had to do it on a new turn to change the configuration I get. I only use 3 characters, Ornela, Flare, Frederica, they all get the same configuration so I only get the configuration I want on a new turn(the next turn)
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You're right, I never use Berserk belts. Maybe that's why I don't need the command runes, but they are vital for your strategy.

Oh man, I sure love talking about that game, and seeing how gildedtalon is also totally into it now makes me really happy. Most people say it's too hard and don't play it properly, but once you get the hang of it, it is really great.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

S rank Rage Chamber, Ogre Mail, Hand of God, and Rage Orb. Even got Dragon Scale as well
Cyclone, Thunder, and 1-5F remain

I only got better because Wolkendrache taught me :mrgreen: I used to play this game so much until it stops working anymore, Wolkendrache changed my playstyle a lot, he should write a guide for this game

When I used to play this game, I always use the same characters every battle that's why I got owned a lot. You have to train a lot of characters if you want to survive or perform well in this game. I still remember if both Kika and Kyril die, it's game over. No one can damage the enemy :shock:

Besides, I Am playing on emulator now, I can screw up as much as I want or try to be perfect on every move by seeing the enemy's next move first :lol:

I'm really thinking on S ranking the whole Obel ruins first before the final battle. I think I'll just S rank the final battle on new game+ if it can't be done by the time I'm finished. If that happens, then I'll collect every treasure on Obel Ruins and finish all the quests first before finishing the game. I'll even S rank everyone's skills and get enough elemental force mirrors for everyone, that includes characters I've never used and will probably never use. Coz if I'm stuck might as well make the most out of it.

Does S ranking the final duel with Kyril get you Iskas's Bracelet?

1+13 Fire: Kyril, Busk, Hervey, Akaghi, Katarina, Reinbach, Rachel, Millay, Reinhold, Nalkul, Lino En Kuldes, Red Mercenary, Maxine
1+9 Lightning: Andarc, Ornela, Keneth, Jeane, Jeremy, Kate, Rita, Karl, Blue Mercenary
1+10 Wind: Seneca, Roget, Kika, Nalleo, Paula, Selma, Cedric, Carrie, Ameria, Lazlo
1+15 Water: Corselia, Coop, Sigurd, Flare, Mizuki, Jewel, Ema, Yu, Wendel, Eugene, Noah, Snowe, Simeon, Mercenary Leader, Lalacle
1+12 Earth: Dario, Gretchen, Tal, Axel, Charlemagne, Gary, Frederica, Pablo, Trishtan, Rene, Champo, Yellow Mercenary

Mitsuba doesn't have an element so I'm gonna collect 1 additional force mirror for each element

C: 3 Dragons, 4 Fists, 4 Swords, 1 Bow, NO Elementals
chests: Venus Gloves, Lightning Force Mirror, Unicorn Robe
dig: Sage's Bracelet (northeast section of map)

C: 1 Dragon, 2 Fly Lizards, 4 Bows, 1 Sword, 4 Spirits, 1 Elemental
chests: Phantasmal Coat, Battle Bracelet
dig: Wind Force Mirror
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Antimatzist wrote:You're right, I never use Berserk belts. Maybe that's why I don't need the command runes, but they are vital for your strategy.

Oh man, I sure love talking about that game, and seeing how gildedtalon is also totally into it now makes me really happy. Most people say it's too hard and don't play it properly, but once you get the hang of it, it is really great.
Absolutely. I wish more people would be interested in Suikoden in general and in Tactics in particular. I wish the there were more Suikoden Tactics games, like a Suikoden 1 Tactics Prequel or a Suikoden 2 Tactics Sequel.

Don’t underestimate the berserk belt. It gives you strength +20, this equals honing your weapon 1.5 times. It adds 20 to your base damage, and depending on how many multipliers come into effect (ratio bonus, direction bonus, terrain bonus, command rune spell bonus, battle lust) it easily goes up to 50 or more. Akaghi with berserk belt and max battle lust, standing on his terrain, attacking from behind using 2nd level Lion Rune spell: 20*1.8*1.35*1.5*1.5 = 109.35. This is the additional damage from the berserk belt alone. You said you don’t use the Lion Rune and berserk belt, so here’s the Akaghi’s damage from a normal attack with max battle lust (from behind, standing on his terrain; AT 137; let’s ignore enemy defense and ratio mod for now): 137*1.8*1.35*1.5 = 499. Now the same but with berserk belt and using 2nd level Lion Rune spell: 157*1.8*1.35*1.5*1.5 = 858. That’s a huge difference, and critical hits are too rare to make up for it.

Let’s have some more examples:
- Lv40 Millay attacks under the same conditions as above using the Viper Rune 1st spell: 72.9 bonus damage from berserk belt
- Lv40 Millay attacks using elemental sword rune 3rd level spell, but without berserk belt: 41 bonus damage from mag stat
- Lv40 Millay attacks using elemental sword rune 3rd level spell and having a berserk belt: 113.9 bonus damage (the mag-based bonus damage is not a multiplier, so it’s simply 72.9+41)

The only problem is you will only have 1-2 of these belts (when you're lucky) until Mido where you can farm them. Actually I like it that way, because these belts are too overpowered imo.
gildedtalon wrote:I only got better because Wolkendrache taught me :mrgreen: I used to play this game so much until it stops working anymore, Wolkendrache changed my playstyle a lot, he should write a guide for this game
You’re welcome. I’m glad you can finally enjoy the game, and I’m happy to know that my contributions can be useful.
gildedtalon wrote:I'm really thinking on S ranking the whole Obel ruins first before the final battle. I think I'll just S rank the final battle on new game+ if it can't be done by the time I'm finished. If that happens, then I'll collect every treasure on Obel Ruins and finish all the quests first before finishing the game. I'll even S rank everyone's skills and get enough elemental force mirrors for everyone, that includes characters I've never used and will probably never use. Coz if I'm stuck might as well make the most out of it.

Does S ranking the final duel with Kyril get you Iskas's Bracelet?
I would do it the other way round. The Obel S-rank items are completely useless, but the Iskas Bracelet is wonderful (mag +10, def +10, immune to sleep iirc). If you get the bracelet, you can use it from the beginning of your NG+. I hope you’re not already too overleveled. What are your levels at the moment?
I don’t think you get the bracelet from the duel, I think you don’t get any reward from the duel.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I just tried the final fight, after a long time standing on the element and only got A rank, I suddenly got B rank. Looks like I'm overleveled
I just rushed everything though for testing purpose, maybe I should try taking less damage
I also didn't kill 2 rune cannons at the entrance. Those enemies stop respawning quite fast so I don't have enough enemies to deal more damage

Damaging Iskas is easy with Drop Earrings and Hand of God on Frederica. The second fight ended way too fast and only got B rank :shock:
Yeah, I don't get any reward from the duel
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Finally, I S rank the final fight, this challenge is over hehe. Must play very conservative, only got damaged 2-4 times throughout the fight :mrgreen: I killed every single thing on the map before killing Iskas

I use Ameria and Wendel for EXP farming, Yu for healing :D Ornela is the one who dealt the killing blow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8I0DFZYPFU

Time to steal Goddess Robe from Iskas and dig a Hand of God. Where exactly is the Hand of God?

Hand of God: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-1R2lP_TI

It's inside the glowing ball, two squares to the right of the rune cannon

Yeah, I managed to save after getting Goddess Robe and Hand of God :mrgreen:

I got Ruins Level 2 while collecting elemental fragments :mrgreen:
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Ruins Level 1, easy way to get S rank in Obel Ruins is kill all enemies using my strongest characters, only then switch in the weaklings to spread elemental beads to gain lots of experience. Done :D
Ruins Level 3 done
Ruins Level 4 done
I doubt I can do it on level 5, those golems always exist the first time you reach floor 5
Wow I did it, Ruins Level 5 :P
Cyclone Chamber done
Thunder Chamber, finally got all S rank tokens :mrgreen:
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Antimatzist wrote:Most people say it's too hard and don't play it properly, but once you get the hang of it, it is really great.
Fresh new game without Lazlo is hard, but with Lazlo your attack power is like 10 times better/stronger.
This game is either too hard or too easy :?
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

KFCrispy wrote:
gildedtalon wrote:Ancient Recipe is in 4F? Why is it mentioned in 3F on the quest guild guide?

http://suikosource.com/games/gst/guides/quest.php
i will fix that page in a few days
Still isn't fixed, it's also in a chest, not a dig item
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

It's here:
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=135
Everything that can be found in the ruins can be found on page 1 and page 10 of that thread.

@KFCrispy: While you're at it, you could merge this with your OP, so all the information can finally be found on the first page of the Obel Ruins Guide thread.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Characters who can mount and have the highest MOV, they are 7: Paula, Jewel, Millay, Jeremy, Ameria
Last edited by gildedtalon on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Instead of Gale for the third rune slot, I'm gonna give my characters Balance Rune
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

gildedtalon wrote:Instead of Gale for the third rune slot, I'm gonna give my characters Balance Rune
This might be a good idea if you really have problems with leveling up your characters after their attack, but maybe it's better to use lower level (not much lower, only a little) characters with best equipment and Gale Rune to spam their attacks and level up.