Suikoden Tactics - DVD Game

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
pumba

Suikoden Tactics - DVD Game

Post by pumba »

Hey guys

I hope you can help.
I was out shopping yesterday and run in to this game.

Suikoden Tactics DVD Game.
It works great in my ps2.
I cant find ANY information about this game specific or DVD games in general.

Best Regards
Johan
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden Tactics - DVD Game

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Sorry to say, but it appears to be a Chinese bootleg as it has Chinese/English text and claims to be a DVD game yet the description is clearly of a PS2 game. And unless they removed most of the actual game there's just no way Suikoden Tactics would work as a DVD game, and I'd wager it doesn't actually work on a normal DVD player.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
pumba

Post by pumba »

Worth anything ?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

pumba wrote:Worth anything ?
I've never seen it and I doubt it has any worth. At least I don't know if there are Suikoden bootleg collectors.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The combination of NTSC and chinese remarks makes me think that it's made in or at least for Taiwan.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Wolkendrache wrote:The combination of NTSC and chinese remarks makes me think that it's made in or at least for Taiwan.
Well, the disc seems to say NTSC U/C which would mean US & Canada (and all of North America), if it was for the Taiwanese market it should say NTSC J.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Oh, you're right, Taiwan has NTSC-J. So the chinese remarks tell those chinese people in North America, who cannot read english, that this game is in english. Nice!
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It depends on how bootleg it is, I guess. Below the NTSC/UC should be the Sony product number issued to the software, which should be SLUS-21245 for Suikoden Tactics. The format of the serial number on the disc isn't even one I'm aware of Sony using. It might be lifted from the software bundled with a camera or something. Is there a number like that on the spine of the box?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

What kind of PS2 are you using anyway that this works on? I recall there being some sort of authentication code on PS2-discs in the area that normal DVD players don't read, and that meant that any bootleg would only work on a console with a modchip installed.

I think the guys that made the Action Replay essentially grafted authentication codes from some sort of surplus crap-game they could buy thousands of for cheap to make it work.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Crazy Taxi was the game. The PS2 authenticates media by looking for a series of something like 200 bad sectors written on the disc in a particular way. Early on, it couldn't be recreated, at least not consistently, by any disc creation tools not made or authorized by Sony, so the first species of unauthorized software was created by crafting a disc image that closely mirrored the one for Crazy Taxi. Then the two discs were grafted together so that the authorization signature was present, but the game data had been overlaid by whatever code the company wanted to run.

Datel got around that problem ages ago, and I'm sure by now other manufacturers have worked out or appropriated the same techniques. I don't recall all the specifics, but I have the impression it's not something that can be done on consumer-grade hardware. However, a large-scale bootleg operation might have access to the required tools. Beyond that, every company that manufactured cheat devices, Fire, Pelican, Datel, everybody that got on board with HDLoader and the USB variants, used that grafting technique at least for a while, and I know for a fact that there were bootleg versions of those discs that would work without mod-chips kicking around Asia. One of Pelican's employees got pissed off for some reason, quit, and dumped an almost-retail beta version of the CodeBreaker on some piracy site. It had some features missing, and a few telltale signs that it wasn't the retail Version 7 that was released a few months after. Five or six years later, you'd still get "bug" reports from people who had bought a bootleg beta in a store in the Philippines or something.