Using only unkillable characters

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
gildedtalon

Re: Using only unkillable characters

Post by gildedtalon »

My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I want to get better. Do you guys have videos on how to S rank the game without Hero IV?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Without Hero IV? I'm not sure some of the later levels can be done without him. Especially Obel will be difficult, I guess.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

How do you increase the effectiveness of mages?
Are they useful? What do I need to consider before using a slot for a mage?
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I’ve documented my last S-rank run in the “Getting S Ranks” thread. You can find a lot of useful tips in that thread. I don’t have videos, sorry.
As for S-ranks without Lazlo, you actually shouldn’t use him too much, because if you overlevel him, it will be more difficult to get S-ranks in the more difficult story battles (especially Graska Palace). Check the enemies’ levels of the upcoming story battle in a walkthrough and try to keep your characters like 1 or 2 levels lower. Use second tier characters on every map where you already gained S-rank.

Mages
- Skills: Extra Move, Jump, Godspeed, their respective element magic, Concentration
- Runes: their element rune (except Pablo, if you use him, change the Earth Rune with a Fire Rune; use Flowing instead of water, but else stick to the lower elemental runes), Magic Boost, Gale
- Equipment: Everything that raises MAG. Don’t be lazy or forget to change your equipment whenever you change your mage.
- The mage spells I used most were Flaming Arrows, Thunder Runner, Ice Breath and Silent Lake.
My mages were extremely useful in the elemental chambers, they can deal a lot of damage to those tough dragons (but don't try to use Silent Lake on them).
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes, the spells Wokendrache listed are the most useful. I use the "Save from Magic attack once" spells from the Earth Rune in the Obel Ruins, because they save you from the Golem's fist (and because that's the only time I use Pablo, he always gets a lot EXP).

Even with an overleveled Lazlo, you can get S raks i a lot of levels. He willg uarante youu a lot of damage. But if you don't want to use him, I guess it's also possible, but also depends a bit on luck.

Always keep some low level characters that can lay beads in your starting area to gain some easy exp. Support characters work well for this as I never use any of them either way (except for Rene and Noah). Ameria and Wendel are also good candidates.

Your only worry is that you don't have a long rage instant death attack without Hero IV (not because of his Instant Death spell, but Double Edged Sword is that strong that it can kill most enemies). We still need to find out all the S Rank criteria for each level, that would make it easier to calculate a perfect strategy.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

If only 1 or few characters are overleveled, you usually ditch a strong character and replace it with a heavily underleveled character that gathers XP by laying beads, like you said. Keep in mind that you probably need more time to finish the level when you replace a damage dealer with an XP-gainer-only. Yes, you can S-rank with an overleveled Lazlo, especially the easier levels, but I prefer to S-rank the easier levels without Lazlo at all, it's not too hard, and then I have Lazlo as both damage dealer and XP-gainer in the difficult levels.

The only useful support characters are Cedric and Yu. You can make use of Cedric's movement range, then switch him for a powerful character. Yu is great in those flying lizard levels, because he can heal and cure status ailments. Oh, and he's you're best friend in the Flowing chamber where he heals your mute status, and he is water based. Give him a gale rune and every skill that increases movement.

@Antimatzist: You're the only one I can't forgive mispelling my name, mein Freund... :wink:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Using Yu? Mh, that's interesting! I tried using Carrie, as here area heal seemed to be more effective, but then she's too close to the front line. I think some might be worth for using in the first round to buff your characters and then switch them for a more powerful one. But I never experimented with that.

And sorry, I typed that from a keyboard I'm not used to. Will never happen again ;P
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I said without Lazlo coz I don't have Suikoden IV data, I'm playing on emulator
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Couldn't you just play Suikoden IV on Emulator first?^^

Anyway, the first half of the game is without him anyway. I don't know what the first real battle is in which he takes place but I think it ight be some in Kooluk? I think A lot of the Kooluk Battles aren't hard to S Rank, especially because you can do some of them multiple times, but Haruna might be hard without him and the Graska Palace battles.

Razro is just overpowered because he has an unbelievable rech and damage output with his rune.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

@gildedtalon: Videos or step-by-step guides are senseless, because characters develop with a random factor, and also enemies have random stats, so whenever you reload, the action bar will change, because enemies have like +/-10 speed compared to before (this applies to all natural stats of enemies). If you need battle strategies and tips on certain levels, there are many threads about it. I’ve documented how I S-ranked up to Merseto Port without Lazlo (because he wasn’t available up to that point), just read it. After Merseto, it should be easy to S-rank without Lazlo when hunting monsters in Terana (I did), Xasta (didn’t try) and Mido (I did). Some of the remaining story maps are easy to S- rank without him: Caleron (I did) and Graska Gates 1 (did not, but Lazlo wasn’t important there). Small border village and Haruna could get a bit tough without Lazlo, and Graska Palace is difficult even with Lazlo, so extremely hard without him. If you succeed in getting S-ranks without Lazlo in these last battles, then document and share it. Good luck and enjoy!

@Antimatzist: It’s not for his HP recovery, I use Yu because he can cure status ailments. Carrie’s healing can’t do that iirc.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I just want to know how you did it. Since you said it's probably about my decision making. Last time I played Suikoden IV on emulator, I could not save at all so I always had to rely on save state. I guess I'll try again when I get home which is next month. Yes, I won't be playing this game anytime soon
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Why do you need status ailment recovery?

Ah yes, I guess Small Border Village might be impossible without Hero IV. Or possible, but you can't get all treasures.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

It’s not that he’s indispensable, but he can be helpful in some levels:
1. He has a chance to save your butt in various levels of the Obel ruins when you’re put to sleep by flying lizards while spirits and skeleton fists are drawing near. He basically has an infinite amount of long range salads (plus full heal).
2. In the Flowing chamber he can speed up curing the silence status. I found it useful when my strongest characters could be healed as quickly as possible to unleash their skills/magic. You could have other characters use salads, but if Yu helps out, you don’t need to mess up your formation too much.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Antimatzist wrote:Couldn't you just play Suikoden IV on Emulator first?^^
Yea, I'm back home just yesterday. Downloading Suikoden IV