Characters should they have brought in/left out from S4

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
sticky-runes

Characters should they have brought in/left out from S4

Post by sticky-runes »

This game does have a good number of returning characters from S4, but what characters would you like to have seen return, and what others do you think they should have left out?
Here are my thoughts...

Characters that should have returned
Ornan: minus his sleep rune, of course, it would have been nice to have another projectile user, with decent rune abilities.
Bartholomew: Another spearman, plus we could team him up with Ornan and Reinhold to perform their Silver Attack!
Helga: It kinda sucks that we only got 2 axe-users in this game. It would have been nice to have Helga back and equip her with a gozz rune. Plus she could perform her co-op with Karl.
Izak: another great sword user, to comine his strength with Axel and Selma, and maybe we could have learned a bit more about his history on Illuya.
Lo Seng/Lo Fong/Lo Hak: 3 extra long range characters with their fire breathing attack, would have been awesome!
Helmut and Colton: They both served Kooluk, so you'd think they'd have someting to say about the country meeting it's end. They might have had some interesting chats with the royal family members.

Characters that could have been left out

Wendell: She has no connection with any of the other characters, so she's quite skippable. They should have left her on Obel, stalking Nico.
Rita: She's the only hammer user, and there's no rune that compliments her weapon style, so she's kind of a waste.
Gretchen and Ameria: We have enough sword girls in this game. Paula and Jewel work well with all the old Razril gang, and Millay works well with all the Obel characters, so Ameria and Gretchen don't really bring a lot to the table.
Antimatzist

Re: Characters should they have brought in/left out from S4

Post by Antimatzist »

Mh I looked through the SoD list and donÄt think they could have added some more people. Barthomolew would be ok. I felt he was totally underused in IV.

And your list with characters that have not been used - I'll sign it. Ameria also has no good will, who'd need her?
I'll add Pablo, too. He's only special because he's the only earth mage but you can change affinity with equipment so that's not so special. But you'll have much better mages, I really like to use Maxine.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I personally felt that a majority of the S4/tactics characters were disposable.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Personaly i wouldn't like to see Chiepoo. In this game he is a total creep,but you have to help him in order to recruit the mercenaries.... :evil:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Antimatzist wrote:Mh I looked through the SoD list and donÄt think they could have added some more people. Barthomolew would be ok. I felt he was totally underused in IV.

And your list with characters that have not been used - I'll sign it. Ameria also has no good will, who'd need her?
I'll add Pablo, too. He's only special because he's the only earth mage but you can change affinity with equipment so that's not so special. But you'll have much better mages, I really like to use Maxine.
I actually like Pablo in Tactics. His voice has improved and he's not as whiney as he was in S4, and I like the relationship he forms with Katarina (he no longer has his mentor Warlock around, and her mentor Konrad isn't here either, so I see them as becoming magic sparring partners) He also has some connection to the story of Rune Cannons because he studied under the guy who created them and he was in charge of rune cannons on the big ship (most likely would have been made redundent once Lino banned the use of rune cannons!) They could have beefed his role up a bit more, though.

I never get why they made Frederica an unkillable character, since she doesn't do FA after you recruit her in the Border Village. Even most of the pirates are killable, but they actually have dialogue at the end of the game.
Last edited by sticky-runes on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:Personaly i wouldn't like to see Chiepoo. In this game he is a total creep,but you have to help him in order to recruit the mercenaries.... :evil:
Chiepoo got up my tits in Suikoden 4 - ALWAYS appearing during critical cut scenes. They could have included anyone in those scenes - why give the talking cat so much screentime and spoiling the serious mood?

But I didn't mind him in this game. He's completely optional, and he's actually fulfilling his dream of becoming a merchant, instead of spoiling scenes where he doesn't belong. There's no recruiting him either - he's been reduced to NPC status! And once you get the mercenaries, you can complete all the X and co missions and spoil his business as pay back!

Talking of NPCs - what the hell did they do to Adrienne?? They give her an annoying high pitched voice (I imagined her sounding more butch and low pitched in Suikoden 4) and I have to put up with her squealing "OK!" everytime I got her to sharpen a weapon.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Frederica has an extra dialogue in a rest scene,that's why she is unkillable...and i wonder why you complain...you should be greatful that we have one more unkillable character,because on my second playthrough,i had about 20 characters killed,including characters like Maxine,Trishtan and Karl... :evil:

And since the battles are extremely hard,it isn't the best choice to retry the battle....so you have no other choice but to have your character killed.

sticky-runes wrote:
Chiepoo got up my tits in Suikoden 4 - ALWAYS appearing during critical cut scenes. They could have included anyone in those scenes - why give the talking cat so much screentime and spoiling the serious mood?

But I didn't mind him in this game. He's completely optional, and he's actually fulfilling his dream of becoming a merchant, instead of spoiling scenes where he doesn't belong. There's no recruiting him either - he's been reduced to NPC status! And once you get the mercenaries, you can complete all the X and co missions and spoil his business as pay back!

Talking of NPCs - what the hell did they do to Adrienne?? They give her an annoying high pitched voice (I imagined her sounding more butch and low pitched in Suikoden 4) and I have to put up with her squealing "OK!" everytime I got her to sharpen a weapon.

That's what i'm gonna do when i recruit the mercenaries...i'm gonna destroy his business!!!! 8) 8) 8)

I didn't like him in this game because they made him look so awful,with glasses and a moustache...for God's sake. That's why i can't wait to spoil his business :lol:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, Chiepoo at his richest just looks ridicolous. I should try and make him poor as hell, iirc he sells better stuff then, too.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:Frederica has an extra dialogue in a rest scene,that's why she is unkillable...and i wonder why you complain...you should be greatful that we have one more unkillable character
I'm not really complaining that she's unkillable, I'm just questioning why her and not other characters, like Dario, Nalleo, Sigurd and Hervey? They all have dialogue right at the end, and they play pretty important parts in the storyline when you meet them all for the first time, so why make them killable? Frederica doesn't have anything to say when you complete the game (same as in S4 when she's so interested in catching up to Cray, but then you complete the game and... nothing.)

I thought Chiepoo looked hilarious in his turban. I just thought you little chav, trying to look more impressive than you are!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
I'm not really complaining that she's unkillable, I'm just questioning why her and not other characters, like Dario, Nalleo, Sigurd and Hervey? They all have dialogue right at the end, and they play pretty important parts in the storyline when you meet them all for the first time, so why make them killable? Frederica doesn't have anything to say when you complete the game (same as in S4 when she's so interested in catching up to Cray, but then you complete the game and... nothing.)

I thought Chiepoo looked hilarious in his turban. I just thought you little chav, trying to look more impressive than you are!

Because when the 4 pirates join you,won't be part of the storyline.
On the other hand Frederica,Kika and Flare too,after they'll join you they'll not play a major part of the story,but still they will have small dialogue,so that's the reason they made them unkillable.

Chiepoo just looked ridiculous,not even hilarious,in his last outfit especially when he become rich. A moustache,ultra-kitsch clothes,sounding very much older than S4,etc.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well Flare does come across as kind of a tag-along character who doesn't have much to say during cut scenes, but there are enough reasons why it would suck to let her get killed off casually in battle, mainly due to her family status...

She's the princess of Obel
Her dad is also the chairman of the Island Nations Federation
Lino already lost a son, so to lose a daughter as well would suck
Mizuki and Akaghi are both unkillable. Would be incredibly lame to have 2 invincible body guards, and a royal family member who can die
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Well Flare does come across as kind of a tag-along character who doesn't have much to say during cut scenes, but there are enough reasons why it would suck to let her get killed off casually in battle, mainly due to her family status...

She's the princess of Obel
Her dad is also the chairman of the Island Nations Federation
Lino already lost a son, so to lose a daughter as well would suck
Mizuki and Akaghi are both unkillable. Would be incredibly lame to have 2 invincible body guards, and a royal family member who can die

No,Lino's son is actually Lazlo. And it has been officialy clarified if i'm not mistaken.

On the other hand,Mizuki and Akaghi too are fading away after some point of the game,but still after they join they are part of the main plot.

P.S. Yes i did it! I recruited the mercenaries and make Chiepoo look like normal again...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
No,Lino's son is actually Lazlo. And it has been officialy clarified if i'm not mistaken.
I didn't say anything denying that Lazlo is Lino's son, I just said that Lino lost a son. which he did. The boy was lost at sea and Lino went through life without seeing his own son growing up. I certainly wouldn't want to put him through the trauma of having his daughter die in battle!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

As I'm replaying the game... Ameria and Wendel really don't make sense. If they had at least good-will, but no. I really don't like to use them.

And then there's Ema. Why? I rarely use support characters (except for Noah and Rene and sometimes Cedric) anyway, but her power just seems so... useless. I guess leveling her up must be a pain, hehe.

Also, they should have included Konrad. They alread have half of the teaching staff from Razril in the party, so why not include him?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, we don't need Ameria, since we've already got Paula and Jewel who have their buddies from Razril, plus Paula's got Selma. and we've got Millay who has loads of buddies.
Wendel is just a poor man's Mizuki.

I rarely use the support characters as well, but i appreciate the thought that went into including them in battles. They're there if you want a change of scenery, I guess.

I like Konrad, they should have included him. Would be nice to have more older characters.