Worth Buying?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Figo710

Worth Buying?

Post by Figo710 »

I'm currently replaying through the Suikoden series (1-5) and I was wondering whether Suikoden Tactics is worth buying. I mean, I'm a huge fan, so it shoudln't be too hard of a decision, but I've always been hesitant about buying this game considering it's not from the main series.

Any thoughts guys?
Antimatzist

Re: Worth Buying?

Post by Antimatzist »

1. Are you into tactical RPGs (like Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea)? Then yes, try it out. If you never played a tactical RPG before: Buy it, it's not too complex but still fun. If you don't like the gameplay mechanics, the game won't be something for you.
2. It's not part of the main series, but still heavily attached to SUikoden IV. It follows up the events of IV and explains some things better than IV did. I like the story, it also has a political background, but you don't build a castle, an army etc (even though there are 60 characters to recruit!)

Conclusion: I've never regret that I bought this game. I like it even more as some "main series" games.
Figo710

Post by Figo710 »

I've played Shining Force before but can't really remember too much about it because those were my Sega Genesis days. So, technically I suppose you can say I've never played tactical RPG before.

I love anything with a compelling story and I loved Suikoden lV. So thanks to you Antimazist, I will be buying this game. I've contemplated for too long. The only issue is... I have no idea where to find this game anymore seeing as it's extremely rare to find. :s
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

If you're into the Suikoden world and its lore, then it's a "must play" game. Like Antimatzist said, it fills in a lot of SIV's story, and explains what happens to the Kooluk Empire.
PSN: FreshMetal80
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i really loved this game and wish they had the opportunity to create more of these games. i don't even like FF Tactics (played 2-3 stages, didn't like throwing pebbles as an attack and having to decide on all this stat/job development for hired generics)!
the command attack runes are really well-developed in this game vs the normal series and you don't have to be forced in a position where you need to decide if a character is going to be developed one way or another - everything is very configurable on the fly (except runes, where you still need to visit a rune master outside of battle), making it much more friendly to casual play vs insane role/development/job/team/stat/leveling planning.
Figo710

Post by Figo710 »

I appreciate all the info from you guys. I've taken everything you've said to account and I will be buying this game. If I won't be able to find it in the city, I'll just grab on ebay and they go for a considerable asking price (ranging from 15-25 bucks) which is surprising to me.

I'm very excited to play Tactics and I'll update you guys about how much fun I'm having with it, lol.

Thanks again!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Oh hold on Figo! Did you already bought it? If not,then let me tell you something about this game.

If you are a Suikoden fan and collector,then buy it just to complete your collection.
If you are a casual gamer then don't buy it. You will find it disgusting...although the story is nice but the battles are difficult like hell. Only a prodigy could play them...

I'll give you an example how the battles are in ST...imagine that you are a 10 yr old boy walking in the streets at night,and in the next corner you'll come face to face with a gang of 5 big boys who are holding steel chains and knives. You'll have no chance of course and you'll be beaten up in an instant. That's how it is in Tactics....a living hell!

And not only that but most of your characters will die very easily....so if you wish to keep them all alive...then you'll have to reset the game over and over again. :evil:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sasarai10 wrote: And not only that but most of your characters will die very easily....so if you wish to keep them all alive...then you'll have to reset the game over and over again. :evil:
I know you don't like the game, but.. no. Just donÄt use characters that can die. Suikoden IV hero in your party makes battles way easier.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote: I know you don't like the game, but.. no. Just donÄt use characters that can die. Suikoden IV hero in your party makes battles way easier.

Yeah but it would be boring if you use the same characters over and over again since those who cannot die are only about 15.
That's what made Suikoden series so unique...the variety of playable characters. :wink:

And another thing i disliked in this game is the fact that the game is challenging by default. Many people won't desire a challenging game because they want to proceed the story...spending 1-2 days per battle is quite annoying.

Though,i don't hate it that much right now,since i've managed to finish it. :mrgreen:
Figo710

Post by Figo710 »

Sasarai10 wrote:Oh hold on Figo! Did you already bought it? If not,then let me tell you something about this game.

If you are a Suikoden fan and collector,then buy it just to complete your collection.
If you are a casual gamer then don't buy it. You will find it disgusting...although the story is nice but the battles are difficult like hell. Only a prodigy could play them...

I'll give you an example how the battles are in ST...imagine that you are a 10 yr old boy walking in the streets at night,and in the next corner you'll come face to face with a gang of 5 big boys who are holding steel chains and knives. You'll have no chance of course and you'll be beaten up in an instant. That's how it is in Tactics....a living hell!

And not only that but most of your characters will die very easily....so if you wish to keep them all alive...then you'll have to reset the game over and over again. :evil:
I'm a huge fan of the series, so I'd like to think of myself as a collector. I haven't bought the game yet. I'm replaying all of the Suiko's and once I get my Suikoden ll back from my friend, I can continue on playing, lol. So once I beat lV i'll buy Tactics.

Is it really that difficult? The majority of the games are relatively easy, so I actually would mind playing a Suikoden game which is a lot more challenging.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

In the first playthrough, it is really hard. Having loaded SUikoden IV data helps a lot, since you can play with the hero who is an absolute powerhouse (and cannot die).

The game is even harder if you try to keep all your characters alive (if your HP drops to 0, the character will either retreat or die permanently. Story characters, however, cannot die.). You also get Ranks according on how well you did in your battle, and getting a Rank S (best rank possible) in every battle is something you shouldn't try in your first playthrough. The game is a bit fair, though, and gives you items depending on your rank, and the Rank C item (worst rank) is actually better than a Rank A item.

But it is not unplayable difficult. I really think it's far from that.