Suikoden "Pocket" Tactics?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
FaustWolf

Suikoden "Pocket" Tactics?

Post by FaustWolf »

Hey all, I just encountered this speculation article from PocketGamer's rumor mill. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, though they're not necessarily always entirely off-base. For example, PocketGamer reported an iOS version of Chrono Trigger -- which will be brought to touchscreen phones in Asian markets soon, just not iOS. :lol:

This is a year old, and apologies if it's been brought up before -- speculation about tactics-related games is running rampant again in iOS circles thanks to additional Final Fantasy Tactics news, so stories about various series are being dredged up today. Here's the article in its entirety in case anyone has difficulty accessing PocketGamer:
Konami considering new Suikoden RPG for iPhone

Hardcore role-playing series Suikoden hasn't had the best fortune over the years, but Konami may very well give it one last college try with a turn-based tactical instalment on iPhone and iPod touch.

Suikoden Pocket Tactics would be the first appearance for the franchise on a mobile device, though not the first time on a portable. 2009's Suikoden Tierkreis for Nintendo DS met praise, although it didn't exactly light up the sales charts. Konami might have a better chance with Pocket Tactics.

Turn-based battles are an excellent fit for iPhone and iPod touch, as long as the depth for which the series is well-known appears in concert. A combination of straightforward tactical combat and in-depth character customisation could make it a serious contender against Square Enix heavyweight Final Fantasy Tactics, which is scheduled for release on September 15th.

No hard release date has been set - in fact, Konami is still very much deliberating about even developing the game. Hopefully it'll decide to take the risk because Suikoden Pocket Tactics could address a desire for a good original tactical role-playing game.
What I wanted to confer with everyone here about is the title "Pocket" Tactics -- I think PocketGamer is referring specifically to the hypothetical iOS rendition of Suikoden Tactics, but it seemed a bit unclear and I was curious whether there might be an obscure Suikoden series game by that name already. A PS2-to-iOS port isn't necessarily out of the question, but a bit of a strange move when Konami has so many other, potentially easier, options for entering the iOS market with Suikoden.

EDIT: Darn, sorry for putting this in the wrong forum, I think.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden "Pocket" Tactics?

Post by Antimatzist »

If they do that, I'll hate them. I never want a I-Phone...

Still, as we haven't heard anything new about that (or no one ever spoke about that again), I guess it's an unconfirmed rumour.

If you google for "Suikoden Pocket Tactics", you will only find this site. If they'd at least give a source for that info...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i would love for this to be true. i will not buy a pachinko machine for that Suikoden IV Pachinko game, but i can deal with mobile apps. Konami still <3 Suikoden????
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

God damnit Konami, when will you learn what the fanbase wants?

We like continuity. We like the 6 character battle system. We loved the 2D sprites of Suikoden 1 and 2. We loved the fact that with each new installment we saw characters and plot threads from previous games grow.

We don't want Tactics games or completely disregarding the main continuity or constantly dicking around in the past to avoid advancing the continuity.

Here, let me help Konami out: Make a game that takes place (1-15) years after Suikoden III. Use 2D sprite-based graphics as were used with Suikoden II to perfection over a decade ago. Write a plot that isn't about saving the world, filled with political backstabbing and a wartorn land. TIE UP AS MANY OLD PLOT THREADS AS IS POSSIBLE. There, every single Suikoden fan will buy this and love it and never shut up about it.