Overworld

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Wraith

Overworld

Post by Wraith »

I do not know if anyone has seen these picture yet so I'l post them anyway ^^.

http://www.gamed.nl/view/11512

Its a dutch site so don't bother reading the text. Just look at the 3 pics.

We have an overworld :o
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Those pictures have already been mentioned here: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4425
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The website thread is rather large and unwieldy. I don't have a problem with the overworld being talked about specifically in this thread.

So they're going back to Suikoden I and II style overworld with free roaming. I wonder if they're be random encounters on it.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Oppenheimer wrote:The website thread is rather large and unwieldy. I don't have a problem with the overworld being talked about specifically in this thread.

So they're going back to Suikoden I and II style overworld with free roaming. I wonder if they're be random encounters on it.
There will be... I mean its an RPG and Random Encounters is the biggest RPG cliche.

The normal Overworld will be alot better than the S3 system because of the less linear feel to it.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

wraith wrote:There will be... I mean its an RPG and Random Encounters is the biggest RPG cliche.
Chrono Trigger didn't and neither did Suikoden III. I would like to see no monsters on maps again. It's one thing if I'm in a dungeon fighting my way to the boss, it's another when I'm just trying to get from point A to point B on the map.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Oppenheimer wrote:
wraith wrote:There will be... I mean its an RPG and Random Encounters is the biggest RPG cliche.
Chrono Trigger didn't and neither did Suikoden III. I would like to see no monsters on maps again. It's one thing if I'm in a dungeon fighting my way to the boss, it's another when I'm just trying to get from point A to point B on the map.
Random Encounters are annoying on an overworld... but I doubt that they wouldn't put in Random Encounters.

EDIT: I didn't know where to put this. I was pretty sure Angelis or anyone else would be mad at me again if I made a seperate post so i'l say it here.

Today is Genso Suikodens 10 year anniversary!
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The weblog wrote:Battle Begins
The battle theme used for world map encounters. The hero uses a special convertible weapon passed down among Falenian royalty. As if dancing on the landscape, he employs graceful techniques using his weapon. Starting out by conveying a sense of speed and engaging those who stand in the hero's path...then developing into elegance, being blessed by the sun, rivers, and streams.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Jowy Atreides wrote:
The weblog wrote:Battle Begins
The battle theme used for world map encounters. The hero uses a special convertible weapon passed down among Falenian royalty. As if dancing on the landscape, he employs graceful techniques using his weapon. Starting out by conveying a sense of speed and engaging those who stand in the hero's path...then developing into elegance, being blessed by the sun, rivers, and streams.
Ah well... I think its better this way.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Dag nab it. I shouldn't have expected any less, I suppose. I just hope I don't get lost too much. Maybe Templeton (or some ancestor) with his suikomap will be back.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I'm sure their will be a map, as for random battles in S3 there were, maybe not on an overworld map but their certainly were in the mountains, forests and plains areas. I didn't mind it so much because each area was a fairly good size.

Still it is nice to see the old world map come back and looking better then ever!
bloggs24

Post by bloggs24 »

hey that site has sum pretty good screenshots, scroll though the drop down menu thing and look at some screenies
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I am very fond of this overworld map...much more impressed than Suikoden 3 or 4. I wonder if Falena's map will be chopped up in sections like Suikoden 1, where you can't get to the next part unless you have a war battle against a certain fort guarding the next terriory. Actually, it will probably be that way.

Well, in any case, it's beautiful. A sight for sore eyes indeed.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:I am very fond of this overworld map...much more impressed than Suikoden 3 or 4. I wonder if Falena's map will be chopped up in sections like Suikoden 1, where you can't get to the next part unless you have a war battle against a certain fort guarding the next terriory. Actually, it will probably be that way.

Well, in any case, it's beautiful. A sight for sore eyes indeed.
I certainly hope its like S1. I don't really like the Free Roaming overworld like in S4.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I agree. It was TOO free, although, if there was someplace you couldn't go to, then Lino or Jewel or someone would say "Hey! You can't go back here yet!" So, Konami will probably do that if it's a free roaming world map, woth no separating bridges or forts. But, I don't really see a difference if someone inside a fort says you can't go somewhere, or if you're trying to go past a certain point with no guarding building and one of your party members tells you not to go there. But that's just how I see it.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Clangeddin

Post by Clangeddin »

S4 Overworld sucked, mostly because of the lack of locations... Along with the relatively low speed of the boat compared with the random batle encounter rate.
It was a world in which 95% of the explorable mass was useless water, and then you had actually some useful routes with some locations...

Still that reflected also the very low longevity of S4... It had very few events storyline-wise. (S3 lasted almost three time as long =/)

Let's hope that in S5, they go back to the old glory of the serie, heh :D
Dont make the Big Show angry! XD