Strategist?

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Apple isn't a Silverberg, but she is a pupil of their arts.

Even if this strateigest isn't a Silverberg, or somehow connected to them, a Silverberg could still be in the game. There could be two or more strateigests, or the Silverberg could be a fighter. I woun't be devastated if some red-haired Silverberg family member isn't in the game, but I would be dissappointed.

This strateigest could also be an ancestor of Agnes. She looked Asian, to me, and this new strateigest certainly has Chinese Shu Kingdom government official clothes. Those clothes weren't always for strateigests, but that's who mostly wore them. Advisors (for affairs other than war) or other Gorvernment officials wore those clothes. So, we don't know if that person is actually a strateigest, unless Konami stated that.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, they stated that she is a "genius strategist."
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

I have a strategist related question. There appears to be two assistants to Lucretia, Sius and Lelei. Are they in positions like Apple?
-M
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Probably. I can't think of any other explanation.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Those two look more like fighters than mere assistant strategists to me. They are probably capable of participating in battles to some extent, unlike Apple.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Though I would probably miss a Silverberg not being in the game, the fact that the last two games have tarnished the family name makes me think a slight rest from the Silverberg line might be refreshing. I mean, Mathiu and Leon were in my opinion the two best strategists in the game, simply for their tactics. She was good and a very close third, but I will always stand by my opinion that Mathiu and Leon were the best. Albert was good, but too ambitious and betrayed his master, not a good sign for a strategist, Caesar's whole strategy was to fortify the position and wait for reinforcements. Elinor was beyond pathetic and did nothing. So as long as the strategist lives up to the standards of the three best from the first two games, I'll be happy whether its a Silverberg or not.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

"two assistants to Lucretia, Sius and Lelei. Are they in positions like Apple?"

well, it could also be the situation with the 2 girls in suikoden 4 that had an argument over whose gonna be Elenor's successor during the ending phase of the game.
Strategy is the key to victory!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Though I would probably miss a Silverberg not being in the game, the fact that the last two games have tarnished the family name makes me think a slight rest from the Silverberg line might be refreshing. I mean, Mathiu and Leon were in my opinion the two best strategists in the game, simply for their tactics. She was good and a very close third, but I will always stand by my opinion that Mathiu and Leon were the best. Albert was good, but too ambitious and betrayed his master, not a good sign for a strategist, Caesar's whole strategy was to fortify the position and wait for reinforcements. Elinor was beyond pathetic and did nothing. So as long as the strategist lives up to the standards of the three best from the first two games, I'll be happy whether its a Silverberg or not.

I don't know about "standards", but I've definitely enoyed the variety of characters that the series have introduced through the Tenki Star so far. Sure, overall Mathiu was the greatest in terms of skills and characters. And Leon is probably better due to his age, but he didn't do much when he was on my side, so who knows. But that doesn't mean all the Silverberg characters should follow the same mould.

The sibling rivalry in III wa an interesting take on the Tenki-Chikai relationship, even if neither of them were experienced enough to be recognised as one of the "greats". And then there's also the fact that Caesar wasn't the only working strategist for the Fire Bringer; both Salome and Apple had had significant share of input throughout the war as well.

As for Elenor, I wouldn't say that she was "beyond pathetic and did nothing". You see, the plot clearly told us that she was a tactician, not a strategist. Appreciate the difference between the two, and you might be able to appreciate her character. Not to mention that her in-game rival was a mere former student of hers. If you absolutely must declare a strategist figure who was "beyond pathetic and did nothing" in this game, it was Cray. She simply didn't have a good enough rival to demonstrate her skills, if any.

Nevertheless, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing another Tenki Star who could measure up to Mathiu or Leon in terms of performance on the battlefield. The fact that she is likely to not have connections with the Silverbergs makes it even more interesting.
ShardStar

Lucreita

Post by ShardStar »

Well they just updated the character, Lucretia, on the Offical Suikoden site. Getting a better look at her along with a more detailed description of her. She seems rather young, closer to Ceaser's age range then all the other Strategists that we have had. Also she has a small red Jewel on her forehead much like those people from Nal, do you suppose that's where her heitage lies? I am thinking that she isn't going to be a Silverburg. This may end up being the first Suikoden game with out them.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

As for Elenor, I wouldn't say that she was "beyond pathetic and did nothing". You see, the plot clearly told us that she was a tactician, not a strategist. Appreciate the difference between the two, and you might be able to appreciate her character. Not to mention that her in-game rival was a mere former student of hers. If you absolutely must declare a strategist figure who was "beyond pathetic and did nothing" in this game, it was Cray. She simply didn't have a good enough rival to demonstrate her skills, if any.
But her title was still the same in the Japanese version wasn't it? 軍師? Isn't this just a case of different translators doing their own things?
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

If a silverberg isn't a strateigest, then I think they would be a fighter, or at least mentioned or featured not as a star. Would Odessa or Mathiu be born yet in this timeline? Or would Leon, for that matter? One of those silverbergs could be brought back to the suikoworld in this game.
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:If a silverberg isn't a strateigest, then I think they would be a fighter, or at least mentioned or featured not as a star. Would Odessa or Mathiu be born yet in this timeline? Or would Leon, for that matter? One of those silverbergs could be brought back to the suikoworld in this game.
Yes, all of those would be born by this point.
Fuma

Post by Fuma »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:If a silverberg isn't a strateigest, then I think they would be a fighter, or at least mentioned or featured not as a star. Would Odessa or Mathiu be born yet in this timeline? Or would Leon, for that matter? One of those silverbergs could be brought back to the suikoworld in this game.
I don't know about Odessa and Mathiu, but I think there's a slight chance that we will get to see Leon Silveberg, playing his Suikoden II role where he is on the antagonist's side, perhaps not as a strategiest this time but a fighter...on second thoughts, I think he would only be suitable as a strategiest, it's a shame but I think it's true. (Despite being a fighter on war battles)
Formerly True Wind Bearer AKA Sir Spam-a-lot.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

It would be great if Leon came back for whatever reason. He was one of my favorite Silverbergs, along with Odessa. I was not impressed with Elenor. She was an alcoholic, and a know-it-all. Much worse than Caesar or Mathiu (in the know-it-all sense). I hope that this strateigest doesn't ruin the name, either.

Although, I can't really see why a silverberg would be in Falena. Elenor came from the Scarlet Moon Empire, and from what it seems, her family members were all there too, and as the generations went on, along came Leon, Mathiu, and Odessa. Then of course, there was Caesar and Albert, not to mention Mathiu's students. They all pretty much revolved around the mainland of the Suiko-world.

Unless Elenor went to Falena after IV, I can't see why there would be a Silverberg in Falena. Did Elenor die at the end, anyway?
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

What happened to Odessa'a and Mathui's father? I'm assuming he would be alive during this timeline, so could he possibly be in the game?