Motion Capture

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Motion Capture

Post by dragonmasterx »

Watching the trailer again, I noticed the character movements look very natural. I suppose this means motion capture is being done, unlike for IV(think of how Lazlo ran).
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

They used motion capture in 4 also. Using motion capture in a game doesn't mean the movements will look natural in fact i'd say the opposite.
Why? Because motion capture record the position of every bone and dummy every frame even if it diden't move which result in a totally eavy file with hundred of keypoints. For movies, it doesn't matter at all but for games it need some optimisation there come the motion capture cleaners. These guys try to turn the "per frame record" into a nice curve as close as possible as the original but with as few control points as possible which mean the movement will be altered compared to the original.
An other thing which is the basis of game design: reality sux. An animation made by a good animator will always look better than a motion captured movement because animators will try to make them cool looking.
If you look at poeple walking in the street you'll notice that 99% of them are uninteresting. The remaining 1% will have a little something what make them different interesting. The job of an animator is to create that interesting thing and accentuate it to make it look even more cool.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Ugh, as you said, dragonmasterx, I truly hope that they don't repeat Lazlo's running motion in Suikoden V for the Tenkai. It feelt blocky and all unfinished, and made me cringe whenever I made Lazlo run.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

We've already seen footage of Hero5 (and Rion) running around, and it's not blocky and forced-looking like it was in S4.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

I just watched a sequence of the TGS video, and near the end, where Hero V is running with Rion in tow (at least I'm assuming it's Rion), it shows me that the running style has indeed changed from Suikoden IV's. I thank Konami for that.
killey

Post by killey »

I agree the new running motion looks better than IV but im still undecided on whether i like how far away the camera is but maybe you'll be able to change it.

I've just been playing Rhapsodia (dont understand a word) and I wouldn't be at all disapointed if in future games they used similar graphics in the main Suikoden games but its unlikely as they'll want to try out the full capabilities of the PS3.
SuikoCrimson108

Post by SuikoCrimson108 »

killey wrote: I've just been playing Rhapsodia (dont understand a word) and I wouldn't be at all disapointed if in future games they used similar graphics in the main Suikoden games but its unlikely as they'll want to try out the full capabilities of the PS3.
I totally agree with you Killey. So far the Suikoden graphics are better than the others and its fine as it is. But Im still hoping that Konami can make a better one in the future games as long as the Suikoden atmosphere is still there.
Suiko.tk: Yet another Suikoden site.
Destiny's Warrior

Post by Destiny's Warrior »

I hated Lazlo's run, it sucked so bad but by the looks of things in Suikoden V we wont be be seeing that again.
"It's called 'Sex Panther' by Odeon... It's illegal in 9 countries... Yep, it's made with real bits of panther so you know it's good."

"Are we about to get it on, 'cause i'm as hard as diamond in an ice storm..."
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

The motion caputre looks pretty good in Suiko5, I do kind of have an issue with Rion though. I mean is she going to run right behind the hero like that throughout the game or what?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

RageRune wrote:The motion caputre looks pretty good in Suiko5, I do kind of have an issue with Rion though. I mean is she going to run right behind the hero like that throughout the game or what?
whats wrong with that? it makes the game MUCH more realistic instead of her dissapearing inside hero 5's body.....
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

son_michael wrote:
RageRune wrote:The motion caputre looks pretty good in Suiko5, I do kind of have an issue with Rion though. I mean is she going to run right behind the hero like that throughout the game or what?
whats wrong with that? it makes the game MUCH more realistic instead of her dissapearing inside hero 5's body.....
I'll admit you have a point there. I guess her running behind the hero suggest that she'll be in the party majority of the time, just like Nanami.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Hopefully she'll be incapacitated whenever she gets stabbed. Unlike Nanami and Gremio, however, she seems to be a pretty useful party member with a lot of swings. Their unite doesn't seem to have any downsides, either.

In order to avoid an arguement about the usefulness of Gremio and Nanami, let me just say this: yes, we know that all characters have their usefulness, especially with runes like *Double-beat, *Fury, etc., but they were painfully average for people that had to be in your party at all times whenever they were "alive".
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Jowy Atreides wrote:Hopefully she'll be incapacitated whenever she gets stabbed. Unlike Nanami and Gremio, however, she seems to be a pretty useful party member with a lot of swings. Their unite doesn't seem to have any downsides, either.

In order to avoid an arguement about the usefulness of Gremio and Nanami, let me just say this: yes, we know that all characters have their usefulness, especially with runes like *Double-beat, *Fury, etc., but they were painfully average for people that had to be in your party at all times whenever they were "alive".

I agree witth you jowy, I almost never used gremio and even though I used nanami alot she was really below average in my oppinion
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

will there be cg mode in suikoden 5. Suikoden hasnt had any cg mode since suikoden 2 from what i can remember(neclord scene). I hope they do have more cg modes it would loook cool
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I assume you mean FMV by "cg mode." Well, thay had that in Suikoden 3 (such as when the lizards charged into Iksay) and in Suikoden 4's opening. Those were FMV. We can already tell from Suikdoen 5's trailer that they will have FMV.