Suikoden V started before IV?!!

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
skymansxeno

Suikoden V started before IV?!!

Post by skymansxeno »

This is from Rheo at suikox:

[quote]-Producer: 松川智禎
(From Suikoden series and OZ)
-Director: 崎山高博
(1st time participating in the Suikoden series)
-Art Director: 田中秀樹
(There's a famous book author with the same name, but that's probably not the same person)

Something from the DPS (a Japanese magazine) interview that I found interesting:

Suikoden 5 started development before Suikoden 4
(If I understand it correctly, The production of Suikoden 5 was actually started before the production of Suikoden 4!)

The art director was calling Suikoden 5 the "deepest" work in the series.

When the producer was asked if other familiar character like George would return in Suikoden 5, the director said Of course, but the way they appeared might not be the same as what we think.

The yellow and black of the knight's uniform represented the sky and earth. (Normally I think of the sky as blue... or white at least)

The theme of Suikoden 5 would be "Bonds", especially the bonds between blood related people, like the bonds between parent and children, bonds between siblings, etc.

(Don't think these info has been posted before...)[/quote]

I didn't see this posted anywhere else on this board so I thought you might like know. If it is, and I missed it, sorry and lock it up or delete or whatever.

And you are welcome. :)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I read the original article, but it is amboguous whether the development for 5 started before Suikdoen 4's development or simply the release of Suikoden 4. The Japanese text merely says "before Suikoden 4." Having development start before the release of the previous game is actually an anomaly for the Suikoden series (whereas it's normal for series such as Final Fantasy). Suikoden 3's development started a full year after Suikoden 2, and Suikoden 4's development started a short while after Suikoden 3 was released.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

I would'nt be surprised if Suiko5 was started before Suiko4. It's obivous by the Suiko5 trailers that it has much more done than Suiko4 ever had.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I don't think they started to make Suiko5 before Suiko4, it wouldn't make sense. Maybe they meant it takes place before Suikoden 4 or something like that.
POSITVE THOUGHT FOR THE DAY.
When you feel that nobody loves you,
nobody cares for you,
everyone is ignoring you,
and people are jealous of you.
You should really ask yourself....
Am I TOO sexy?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Stan wrote:I don't think they started to make Suiko5 before Suiko4, it wouldn't make sense. Maybe they meant it takes place before Suikoden 4 or something like that.
No, it takes place after suikoden IV.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Einlanzer

Post by Einlanzer »

I wouldn't even acknowledge V's existence if it was even remotely near IV's time era.
afi

Post by afi »

I've heard that suikoden 4 and 5 were in development at the same time. Different teams were working on those two. Yup,they rush it. That may be the reason why 4 didn't turn out good. Even though the director said that 5 is the deepest entry in the series,i'm not convinced.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

afi wrote:I've heard that suikoden 4 and 5 were in development at the same time. Different teams were working on those two. Yup,they rush it. That may be the reason why 4 didn't turn out good. Even though the director said that 5 is the deepest entry in the series,i'm not convinced.
Well even if that's true, the people working on Suikoden V have had a lot of time compared to Suikoden IV. The people working on Suikoden V will have almost double the time they had on the people working on Suikoden IV.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Does anyone know when it is supposed to take place?
nobody cares for you,
Am I TOO sexy?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Stan wrote:Does anyone know when it is supposed to take place?
No. All we know is that it takes place after the Sucession War, but we don't know the year.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Stan

Post by Stan »

At least it doesn't take place before suikoden 4. I wonder who the mean enemy is going to be.
nobody cares for you,
Am I TOO sexy?
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

It would make sense that 5 was in production before the release of 4 cause 4 was release only like 8 months ago. And i'm sure they didn't rush with 5.
Strategy is the key to victory!
skymansxeno

Post by skymansxeno »

I agree that V was most probably started, at least, before IV was released. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this game was indeed started at the same time as IV was started. Though it would be even better if it was started before IV. Though, I think, the only way that would really make sense is if it IV was indeed just something to hold us over while we wait for V (maybe because they decided V was going to take to long or something?).

Anyways, I wait with anticipation for both V and Rhaps. :)
Stan

Post by Stan »

Maybe 5 started before the release of 4 but I doubt they started at the same time, why would they start them at the same time, it wouldn't make sense.
nobody cares for you,
Am I TOO sexy?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Beginning V's production simultaneously with IV? That might actually hold some degree of truth, as there are rumours that Konami now have two teams working on the series anyhow.

But before IV? That is absurd. If this interpreation is true, then who knows which number would they start working on after V. Suikoden XX, maybe? You see, everything between V and XX should obviously be rushed fillers to "hold us over", which would probably showcase the producer's dream worlds or whatever, before finally giving us the "real thing" in XX.

If this is how they work, then I fear how many more numbered installments would go to waste to "fill in" the long development time between "real" installments. Shouldn't Konami have known that's what spin-off titles are meant for? Simply absurd.