the final boss in suikoden 5?

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

What if the red bird that those people worship on Falena is a phoenix? And the Sun Rune is what keeps it in this world, kinda like the Dragon Rune keeps dragons in this world.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

i don't think the sun rune keeps the the crimson bird... cause there are three true runes... i mean maybe these runes work in harmony... justlike the five elemental true runes in suiko III...
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

"(S1) Teo vs. Tir (S2) Joey vs. Riou (S3) Luc vs. Sasarai (S4) Hero vs. Troy"

Actually for S1, it was Tir vs. Ain Guide. although the Teo vs. Tir was definitely more important like Luca Blight vs. Riou, it wasn't THE final duel.

The final boss might very well be the Phoenix (or at least a legendary creature). So far, the past games featured final bosses that were legendary creatures in myth.
(S1) golden hydra- (Hydra- the one Hercules fought or the one Godzilla fought)
(S2) Beast Rune- (Ragnorak)
(S3) Wind rincar- (???-Phoenix?) If it's the Phoenix, i guess we'll get something else for suiko5.
(S4) Giant Tree- (Tree of Life? Living Bonsai???)

I'll figure out the analogies with the questions marks... or you can help me... hehe
Strategy is the key to victory!
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:(S4) Giant Tree- (Tree of Life? Living Bonsai???)
Maybe Yggdrassil, the world tree? Can't really imagine it as a boss monster concept, but it would certainly be interesting.

Whatever the last boss fight is I hope it's epic. Suiko III's last boss fight moved me to tears - I thought it was a powerful and suprising end.

I hope its not as shallow as IV's last boss fight. It felt sort of anti-climactic. I still hear a bunch of speculation about the "tree thing."

Give us a boss fight to remember, one with more substance then mr. tree please.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

THe reason behind the tree is explained in Rhapsodia.
I hope everything is going delicious.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

i'm only familiar with the Greek, Norse, and Chinese myths and know very very little about japanese,hindu, african, etc...

The giant tree might be in these myths somewhere.
and some people are still couple of weeks away from rhapsodia release, like me.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Chris_Lightfellow

The only giant tree in mythology that I can find is Yggdrasil in Norse mythology. I have looked in "Mythology for Dummies" which has parts of most mythologies and the only tree that they mention is Yggdrasil.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

isn't the Silver Wolf is more like a Cerberus ?
kelvin loves suikoden
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

If the giant tree truly is based on Yggdrasil, I don't believe it to be the Norse Mythological Yggdrasil due to the fact that Yggdrasil holds all of the dimensions together and in the end of the Norse world, Ragnarok, Yggdrasil is set on fire and destroyed, which is said to destroy all life (except two humans). Soooo.... I don't personally think the end boss of Suiko4 is Norsebased...
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
Chris_Lightfellow

The Giant Tree could be loosely based on Yggdrasil, like Suikoden is loosely based on Water Margin. There is no other giant tree in mythology that I can find.
kelvingarinkz wrote:isn't the Silver Wolf is more like a Cerberus ?
Unless it has 3 heads, I don't think so. I don't know what the Silver Wolf looks like since I haven't played S2.

Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It's only got two heads.
Chris_Lightfellow

Then I'm gonna say that it is loosely based as well. Cerberus has so cousins or siblings in mythology that it could be. Suikoden has done a good job of just borrowing from mythology and not copying it directly. Unlike another culture I know of. *cough*Romans*cough*

Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

I think if we're even pointing out the possibility of Suikoden borrowing from mythology, it's only doing just that - "borrowing." I don't see any practical are intelligent reason for Suikoden's writers to simply strip a concept from a mythological story rather then just loosley basing (like Chris_Lightfellow put it) something off another concept.

There's nothing new under the sun anyway - almost every rpg you see now days borrows from a previously established concept or idea. Suikoden most likely is no exception to that rule. The only question is if there is indeed any real influence from the aforementioned myths.

Which would in fact be really cool if there was any actual connection (to me anyway.)
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

In Chinese mytyhology, there's a legend of 8 people who did good deeds, and gained access to become immortal beings (named "the Eight Immortals"..for obvious reasons...), and they gathered under a place caled "The Tree of Life"...but that's all I know of THAT legend, but also, in Christian beliefs, the "Tree of Life" is in the center of the Garden of Eden, as many of you may or may not know. Here's something else I found interesting about the mythology of trees...

" The vital sap flowing through the tree is the much sought after elixir of immortality, magic honey mead, and water of life. In Navajo Indian mythology, the twins 'Monster-slayer' and 'Reared-in-the-Earth' flowed up this sacred pollen path to meet their father the sun, who gave to them the sacred art of healing through ritual sand painting."

The part about the sap reminded me of the Elven village in Suikoden IV, and the elixer coming out of the tree you have to steal for the Na-Nal island chief. It was considered a "healing remedy", but it was actually poison. I don't know if any of that has to do with the final boss or not, but I thought I might mention it.

About the crimson bird/phoenix...when Luc transformed in Suikoden III for the final battle, he looked like a phoenix. Maybe he's the final boss again? Or maybe there's some connection to Luc with the Crimson Bird clan.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
NChisholm

Post by NChisholm »

I belive Suiko5's final boss will be a "rincar"....

on a side not maybe the great tree was an attempt at replicating the power of a true rune or "rincar"

Blood and ashes blasted translaters "Rincar" my.........