Spoken Dialogue

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Dooz

Re: Spoken Dialogue

Post by Dooz »

I'd actually prefer not to have any spoken dialouge at all. I like using my imagination more.
Basel

Post by Basel »

I was thinking while watching the suikox translated video that it would be nice to keep the original Japanese voice acting and just subtitle it. That's how I watch most of my anime anyway.
I strongly agree with you in that the original Japanese voice acting need to be kept and that the player can select whichever voice acting that he/she prefers. DotHack, Disgaea and Final Fantasy X International give you the freedom whether you want the Japanese or the English voices and subtitles.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Soul_Taker

Post by Soul_Taker »

The Jak And Daxter games, let you select between many languages and subtitles.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Is it illegal to accept game ideas from the general public in America? I sent an email two days ago to Konami requesting that the original Japanese voice acting to be kept if possible. However, it seems that Konami cannot consider my request due to legal issues. Here is the reply from Konami:
Dear Basel,

Thank you for your interest in Konami. We're always excited to hear from our biggest fans. We are sorry to inform you that Konami of America does not accept game ideas from the general public due to legal issues, and will be unable to consider any outside submissions. Therefore, we are returning the materials you sent.

Konami Customer Service is always willing to help consumers resolve technical problems, but unfortunately your problem cannot be addressed by our services.

Please contact Customer Service if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

KDEA- Customer Support
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

wow that sucks

what exactly did you send them? you sent it in the mail?

I find it really disturbing that konami cant take simple suggestions from the public,even if they cant take suggestions from you...they could have at least commented on whether they thought about using the original VA actors or if they have plans to do so in the future

good try basel.....

well at least konami responded.... right?
Basel

Post by Basel »

son_michael wrote: what exactly did you send them? you sent it in the mail?
I used the following link: http://www.konami.com/gs/email.php
Below is my request to Konami:
Dear Konami Suikoden Team,

Would you please consider keeping the original Japanese voice acting along side with the English voice acting in Suikoden V? Many Suikoden fans would love to listen to the original Japanese voice acting while reading the English subtitle. You could add this feature at the beginning of the game as well as in the options menu so that it can be changed at any time. I hope that it is not too late to request such a feature and that you will consider my request seriously.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I think the problem with accepting or using someone's idea from the general public is linked to their fear of being sued for using such idea. Or having to give over royalties or something along those lines.

Honestly I rather have english voice acting, it drives me crazy trying to figure out what they are saying from tone and body language alone.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

ShardStar wrote:Honestly I rather have english voice acting, it drives me crazy trying to figure out what they are saying from tone and body language alone.
They would have subtitles if they had Japanese voice acting. No one would assume you could just piece together the story without them.

I agree with you about the royalties issue though, I'm sure that's exactly the issue.
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

I actually quite like the idea of subbing and subbing dual audio tracks. After all, it is a great way to appease both fans. When I remember FFX, I remember the movement of the mouths and the spoken dialogue didn't synch. Hope that's not a problem here
-M
Snowe

Post by Snowe »

FFX handled it pretty well. That just reffered to the character in pronouns, and the dialogue didn't suffer nearly as much. If anything I took fault with the VA and animation.
Maas Stormgripper

Post by Maas Stormgripper »

Personally, I like the idea of a title. I like voice acting in games. But it should be all or nothing, I am tired of playing the dumb mute. Give me some lines. Baldurs Gate, even though voice acting is a very minor bit in the game let's you choose from a few stock voices for when your character fights.
Heck, the hero in S4 has a voice during combat. Just let the hero talk!
Otherwise it seems the whole game he is a retarded figurehead who leads via example but everyone else does the speaking for him.
What you think I was born this way?
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Another problem of why they cannot accept suggestions is the fact that there would be too many. everyone would send in their ideas, and it would be too much. Also, they probably already have ideas for what they're going to do for every new game, or at least the teams who are working on that specific game.

It annoyed me of how the hero's name was not said in Suikoden IV, but it would also be difficult to say names at this point. Some people may enter difficult names to pronounce. For instance, if I wanted to enter Lazlo's name as "Yuki", it would not sound like it, unless they took the time to voice act thousands of names from all locations of the globe. Even though the random pauses where the hero's name would have been did annoyed me, I would rather have that then having him pronouce "Yuki" as "Yucky" (considering I named him after myself).

I think it's a great idea to just say "prince" for now, or "young master". It makes sense, and even though some players will still be upset, it's better than not voice acting. It makes the game more fun...for me at least.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
shinro-kun

Post by shinro-kun »

is it possible for konami to just make two releases? if it doesnt fit in the dvd. :wink:

i mean, in their process of translating, they first translate all the texts then have english voice actors say it. :o now, it would be cool to first release a subtitled version of the game. the number of copies would ofcourse be lesser than the dubbed one. :cry: (maybe just for the fans and for those people that prefer japanese. like me. :P )

anyway, i dont think that they'll consider doing this (I hope they do!) but it's quite possible. :wink:
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

they would never do that, it wouldn't make sense. They will either include an option to switch from english va's o original japanese va's or they will keep it as it is