Speculation on Official Info Announcement

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Gonna be busy. Not doing Wednesday. Just announcing it so people don't keep checking every few seconds when it won't be updated to begin with.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Skills system update!
■How to improve skills?
You store up skill points (SP) which can be acquired after a battle, and then go to a training store in town and drill the skill, raising its rank and increasing its power.
So, they went back to the old days of having Training Schools. Rhapsodia's no-teacher system was more convenient though.
■Equipping a skill.
There are a lot of skills (48 of them!), but you can only use the ones that you’ve drilled. You can only start drilling a skill after you’ve equipped it. However, you can only equip 2 skills at the same time. That’s the troublesome part.
You can’t change out skills in mid-battle, but you may do so freely wherever you can open the main menu, such as in town or in a dungeon. Also, skills can synergize with each other, so if you join up with a legacy skill their effectiveness is even greater. Using these schemes, battles can be even more exhilaratingly and advantageously enjoyable.
Maximum of two skills at a time? That can't be right.
Basel

Post by Basel »

I am glad that the skill system is an improved version of III's, especially the Joint skills. Personally, I do not like the way it is being done in Rhapsodia in which you have a pool of skill points. The only thing that I am worried about is the limit of 2 skills for each character.

Georg's Martial Art Training is definitely going to be handy. :roll:
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The SP pool system looks like a combination of the previous two, with individual pool and a central bank. The main difference is that transfer between the two require a 10% loss of points, which isn't exactly an improvement over Rhapsodia's system to be honest.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I suppose the trade off is the convenience factor. Even if you lose 10%, you don't hae to spend hours upon hours of going through mundane battles just to raise the skills of characters you either got late or didn't use at all until the end of the game. I suppose that isn't too bad. I feel that it's an improvment over Suikoden III and nearly as good as Rhapsodia. I do, however, dislike the fact that you have to go back to those training people. Bleh! Oh well, a game can't be completely perfect.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Basel

Post by Basel »

patapi wrote:with individual pool
That is the important thing for me.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Guess Konami doesn't want to make Suikoden V too easy for us. Anyway, I just wanted to notify the translators that 2/17/06 had two entries, one of them was already translated and the other has to deal with Georg's 3D model.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Loner Prime

Post by Loner Prime »

Hopefully with the ''legacy skills'' we will be able to get a total of 4 skills on some characters. I guess those will be pretty rare and maybe hard to find...

I liked the skill system of S3 a lot more. People having inherent capacities and limits on specific skills is much more realistic and was giving everyone unique kind of personality traits, imo.

Although we should wait and see for ourselves before passing judgment on the new skill system...
killey

Post by killey »

I wasn't huge on Suikoden III's skill system myself. It gave little customisation to characters. I wasn't expecting to turn mages into tanks but limits on rune skills were a bit annoying considering how important it was that a character have the skill before they were any good at spellcasting..
YuberPesmerga

Post by YuberPesmerga »

Not sure if this has been asked but is there a file upload from Suikoden IV?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

hey DMX or jainsfele{whoever translated it} you spelled georg's name George in the neswest king blog, and not just once either...

might wanna fix that
Basel

Post by Basel »

Does it really matter? dragonmasterx and jainsafel dedicate a lot of their own time to translate king blog everyday as well as information from the official website. It won't hurt if the translation has some typos.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I dunno, I just remember sars saying how much it irked him when a stupid english interviewer called georg "george" so I figured this kind of mistake needs to be corrected

my intent was to just point out an error that can be easily fixed, I hope I didnt sound like I wasn't appreciative

I appreciate everything those 2 have done for us and it wasn't a complaint, it was just a heads up, thats all
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Corrected.
---
Lucretia Borgia is an interesting woman to google about.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I got a kick out of Kawano getting revenge on a fellow staff member.

I know there were two entries posted today. It's 2:10 AM here, I'll finish the other one tomorrow.