Speculation on Official Info Announcement

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

we finally get to see what king looks like! AND DIRECTOR SAKIYAMA TOO!

I thought sakiyama was a woman until I saw that interview..lol and somehow I pictured king to be a little heavier and not so skinny
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Is it just me, or do the translations for the names just suck?

John=Shoon
Syaries=Siaeeds
Felid=Ferid
Rionna=Lyon

However, some of the other character's name's are now revealed.

Boz=Axe dude
Oboro=Private Investigator
Rogu=Ran's father
Raaja=Old tactician lady...she's also the leader of a village where the people wear those big funny hats (NOT Lordlake with the straw hats, the one like Ran wears)
Muroon=Beaver wearing the glasses and looking intelligent

Sorry if this was mentioned before or somewhere else. I wanted to mention it.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Laggardly

Post by Laggardly »

I find it passingly amusing that they choose to leave Ferid as Ferid rather than change it into Felid but choose to translate Rionne as Lyon despite Lyon sounding like a pet animal's name.

Translating from a language without the roman lettering system into a language that does use it is as much a matter of style as it is direct translation but you would think that they would choose the name that looks and sounds best for each character. It's a matter of taste I suppose but the official english names seem to be worse than their unofficial counterparts.

I don't mind making John into Shoon but Syaries, Felid, and Rionne, Rionne most of all, got the worst of the trade.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:Is it just me, or do the translations for the names just suck?

John=Shoon
John? His Japanese name doesn't even sound anything like "John".
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:translations for the names just suck?

John=Shoon
Syaries=Siaeeds
Felid=Ferid
Rionna=Lyon
Felid, that makes sense based on japanese pronounciation of "l"

Siaeeds would be pronouced similar to Syaries, so I guess that one's okay.

Rionna is another "l" word change. It would never be prounounced "Lee on" as in the name of RE4's protagonist in Japan. But I'm sure that's what people would do to it here, so changing it to a more feminine "Ri" name seems appropriate. I think Rion would have sufficed though.

John is just moronic on so many levels.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I know it sounds more like Shawn then John *shakes head* I guess that's translators for you. Youd think they would have the game designers there to help with translating, but I guess they are too busy to do that.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

For character names, recently KCET have begun to provide their own translations, instead of leaving it completely to the translators. i.e. Suikoden IV and Rhapsodia's characters had their romanized name spellings shown in the ending credits of the original JP releases. I think Suikoden III had something similar as well, but I don't have access to a JP copy of that game.

In other words, it's the game designers who dictate how the names should be translated all along.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

The direct romanization of サイアリーズ is Saiariizu. One thing I can't agree with is the ds in Sialeeds. Maybe if that last character was づ(dzu) instead of ず(zu)...but it's not.

And google shows no literary, historical, or mythological references for the spelling "Sialeeds" AND the Japanese サイアリーズ
Pesmerga

Post by Pesmerga »

The zu/du sound is kind of reminiscent of the anime/manga Bleach. One of the names is pronounced in the anime "Izuru" pretty clearly, but in most of the official spellings/romanizations they spell it "Iduru". It might have something to do with the placement of the 'zu' on the keyboard that makes it 'du'. *investigates*
Richmond: "I'm still not sure what kind of a creature he is. Some people say he's just a
shadow from another existence."

Pesmerga: "Hmmm. I thought that if I pursued Neclord, I'd run into Yuber."
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Syaries is a much better name than "Sialeeds"...it's prettier and fits her character much better. Many people speculate that these are just temorary translations, and that the final ones will be much better, but the fact is the the release date for America is coming..soon. So, the chances are that we'll be stuck with these disturbed names here in the USA...which stresses me out. Oh well...there are worse things in life...
Last edited by Yuki Tenkai on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yea, I suggest that everyone stops complaining and just be thankful konami decided to ship suikoden 5 over seas

im sure all the people from the uk would agree with me
Pesmerga

Post by Pesmerga »

Well considering we don't know the proper romanizations from the japanese version I don't know if you can really complain about how they spell the names since the romanizations everyone has are based on other individuals' own personal translations :wink: . But considering on the japanese official site when you save the wallpaper it says "Lyon" then it seems Konami is following the japanese official romanizations until we see otherwise 8) .
Richmond: "I'm still not sure what kind of a creature he is. Some people say he's just a
shadow from another existence."

Pesmerga: "Hmmm. I thought that if I pursued Neclord, I'd run into Yuber."
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

patapi wrote:
Yuki Tenkai wrote:Is it just me, or do the translations for the names just suck?

John=Shoon
Yes, but that's the name that Konami gave himoriginally, and then it was changed to "Shoon" for the American release...which reminds me of the "Shoopufs" in FFX. :D
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

dragonmasterx wrote:The direct romanization of サイアリーズ is Saiariizu. One thing I can't agree with is the ds in Sialeeds. Maybe if that last character was づ(dzu) instead of ず(zu)...but it's not.

And google shows no literary, historical, or mythological references for the spelling "Sialeeds" AND the Japanese サイアリーズ
Exactly. In fact, her name has been bugging me for the longest while. Neither Sialeeds nor "Syaries" actually give a satisfactory result from googling. The closest sensible word that I found was "Sayaris/Shayaris", which are a form of poetry in some South Asian language.
Yuki Tenkai wrote:
patapi wrote:

John=Shoon
Yes, but that's the name that Konami gave himoriginally, and then it was changed to "Shoon" for the American release...which reminds me of the "Shoopufs" in FFX. :D
Originally? When? His Japanese name have never sounded anything like "John" from the very beginning.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

SARS had said his name was John in his character list on suikox.com when he made it a while back, and that's what everyone was calling him until the english trailers said his name was "Shoon" in the clips of his duel with the prince.

Just out of curiosity, what Japanese name are you talking about?
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV