About suikoden V hero

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

If the character is interesting enough it's good if he talks of his own free will. But, I hate being forced to control a wimpy characters (such as Tidus from FFX). However, if a game has you select a lot of dialogue choices and these choices actually impact gameplay such as by allowing some alignment to take effect or something (like in Star Wars KOTOR) then I would prefer that. But, Suikoden doesn't seem like the kind of game to introduce an alignment system.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

I had thought that the reason that the characters didn't have their own lines to say was because the game was supposed to make the player feel as if he was participating as the character, instead of just watching the events occuring throughout the game. In I, II, & IV it felt like I was each of the characters and that my personality was to be reflected unto them. They each had their own personality, but when you could make the choices for, even their talk, it seems as if they are the personification of the player in the game. When the characters had their own dialogue and distinct personalities in III, it felt like I was more of guiding them through the game than being them. To me, that's what separates III from the rest of the games.

I personally prefer it when you choose what the character says, instead of him/her choosing for you. Like when Lulu was killed, I knew that Chris outclassed Hugo and that she didn't mean to kill a child, so I refrain from attacking her. I always play Hugo's chapter first when I play III, so it's not as if I knew anything about her or cared. Just from my own personality did I not blindly attack her, even though that's more of what Hugo, the character, would do. And it feels like that every time. His personality feels like it would drive him for vengence.

In the other games, none of the characters show that kind of personality. It's always the player who feels the pain when villages are destroyed and characters killed. I happen to like that more, feeling the emotions myself instead of watching the characters feel them. And it feels like that characters have their own distinct personalities more when they speak for themselves. At least it did for me in III, but that could have been a combination of speaking and actual personality development (though it is hard to show personality when they don't speak).
Spanish Seed

Post by Spanish Seed »

Actions speak louder than words. Sure characters show more personality when they talk, but their actions also show what kind of person they are. Pesmerga would be a good example he says a couple lines and that's it. He's not a main character, but he's one that can let his actions speak for himself. Jacques could be another one. He doesn't speak often yet we know he's a unique character from the choses he makes. Sleeping up in trees, just saying NO to alcohol, and he's a mercenary.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The problem with the fact that you're supposed to feel like the character is that I don't feel I'm given enough choice. As I get older I find myself less and less in tune with what I'm supposed to be feeling as these teenage protagonists. I often find myself understanding the adults (like Glen in Suikoden IV) more than Hero IV. I've brought this up before but there are situations in Suikoden IV that are so forced upon me that no level of choice in dialogue options seems to make up for it. An example of this is when I'm forced to go up into the tower after Glen uses the ROP. I'm told not to, and I would not go there regardless of what happened. I could understand if I wasn't in control of my character directly (like Hugo would go up there) but if he's supposed to be me, I shouldn't have to do something I disagree with so strongly.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Real serious gamers might actually throw themselves into the game thinking they are the main character throwing out all reality. When a certain question appears that doesn't have an answer you might be looking for, that clicks saying I don't have full control over a character doing this and that. You'd rather do something different then what all the options give you.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, I agree. I think it's even more difficult for designers to create games in which you are supposed to be the silent main character because they have to be careful to give all the realistic options for the situation and not obviously force you to follow the plot how they want it. If they can guide you towards the end of the game but not let you realize you're being guided, it's truly a well made game. . .I'm afraid they missed the mark in that respect for Suikoden IV.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Oppenheimer wrote:However, if a game has you select a lot of dialogue choices and these choices actually impact gameplay such as by allowing some alignment to take effect or something (like in Star Wars KOTOR) then I would prefer that. But, Suikoden doesn't seem like the kind of game to introduce an alignment system.
That is an interesting idea. The Suikogaiden titles had a similar system where points are rewarded/removed according to the choices that you make in conversation. As you go through the game, further scenes may change (or get unlocked) depending on how many points you've gathered up to that point.

Of course, Suikogaiden is a text-adventure type of game, so such implementation is rather typical, but why not something similar in a proper Suikoden installment?
Black Knight Yuber

A text RPG wouldn't be bad. The only problem I can see with that would be typing the words in all the time. Maybe some sorta keyboard hook up would help that go a bit faster.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

You don't actually have to type anything in a text adventure game. They are more like interactive books.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

An example of this is when I'm forced to go up into the tower after Glen uses the ROP. I'm told not to, and I would not go there regardless of what happened. I could understand if I wasn't in control of my character directly (like Hugo would go up there) but if he's supposed to be me, I shouldn't have to do something I disagree with so strongly.
I agree that the choices are sometimes limited and IV seemed a little too directed, plot-wise. But it is difficult to create a game that's directed while letting the player feel like he/she's in control. I procrastinated as much as possible at that point in the game because I thought it would be insubordinate for no purpose to follow up the tower. It also seemed to go against the character of Lazlo to do so, but due to what seemed like a rushed plot lay-out, there wasn't much choice.
Actions speak louder than words. Sure characters show more personality when they talk, but their actions also show what kind of person they are. Pesmerga would be a good example he says a couple lines and that's it. He's not a main character, but he's one that can let his actions speak for himself. Jacques could be another one. He doesn't speak often yet we know he's a unique character from the choses he makes. Sleeping up in trees, just saying NO to alcohol, and he's a mercenary.
Both of those characters we know little about. The only way we know more about Yuber than Jacques is because Yuber did speak so much in III. So, from his lines and actions we know that he enjoys chaos and other various qualities of his. Before, from his actions and what people said about him, people had surmised parts of his personality. But actions only speak louder than words when the motive behind the actions are discovered.

We know what actions Jacques does (sleeping in trees, his occupation, and his refusal of alocholic beverages) by our observations of those, but not the reason behind his actions. And without his telling us the reason, it's just speculation. Even if another character from the games reveal information about him; it's just their opinion about him or he had to inform them of such.
Black Knight Yuber

Pesmerga I'll agree with Jacques not really. There's a little more known about Jacques then Pes. I think what Spanish Seed was trying to say was their battle action. Pesmerga being a warhorse, and Jacques being a major hitter with a bow gun. Letting their actions speak louder than words. That seems to me where he was getting it from.
afi

Post by afi »

It looks like there's going to be a love interaction in suiko V like tir/kasumi :roll: Hero X rion anyone?
Silver Mouri

Post by Silver Mouri »

... I'm going to get shot for saying this, I can see it now, But I actually LIKE the way the Hero in V looks. I don't see any problem with it. Its about time they gave way to a girly looking Hero. More power to it XD!

Of course, I'm also one of those type of people who like girly looking guys, so of course I guess I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I think he'll be my favorite character in looks.

Actually, I'm just glad (from watching the trailers) that this Hero doesn't seem to run like someone just took a pole and shoved it up his butt -__- I wanted teach the hero in IV how to run properly, cause he was driving me up the wall.

My Two-Cents on the hero not speaking:

I actually perfer it when it comes to the Suikoden series. My biggest beef with Suikoden III was the fact your Hero's spoke. It took away the feel of Suikoden for me.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I don't really have a problem with how he looks either. As for him speaking, I would like to have some spots where you don't get to pick what he says but most of the time you do. Like, he could give some sort of speech at the final battle or something, but every other time you get to pick.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Makumaku

Post by Makumaku »

I think a feminine looking male character fits perfectly to this game.

He is, after all, in the Queendom, is he not? A female dominated society?

I doubt that a big, bearded, hulking man would fit in.
When Hero IV is abbreviated, it equals HIV.