5 things that suiko V needs.

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
LGM

Post by LGM »

I think 6 man parties are good for a number of points;

1. Obviously, you get to know the characters more.

2. There is more strategy in having a front and back line.

3. It allows characters who further the plot to be placed upon you. Therefore helping the story.

4. Fairer in boss battles, where you can have you party halved if the boss uses an uber move on you(you have three characters instead of two left).

5. More variety in the type of characters you choose (not just slugger or magician.) Whats the point of having an archer or gunman who has the same range as a swordsman?

6. Allows you to build up very weak characters easier in the back line in a six.

The question I do ask though, is if 3-D graphics work on a six (both visually and processor power wise)?
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
tmxdragoon

Post by tmxdragoon »

1. Better Rune animations, go back to what they looked liked in Suiko I-III. Suiko 4 quick spells were awful.

2. Castle is needed instead of a ship for HQ. Please no more ships.

3. 6 man battle system

4. Skill system from Suiko 3, I found that to be fun and was a great feature.

5. Better character design but so far it looks great to me, lets hope the rest of the 108 stars are not generic and dull like in suiko 4. When I look at the characters of suiko 4 I asked myself "Am I fighting with townspeople/villagers because I'm not fighting with warriors".
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

1. Bring back the skills system, but I would like to be able to trade skills once someone has maxed all their's.

2. No NayKobolds. I am a cat-lover, but those things were just plain creepy.

3. Wars like in S1

4. Have the map like it was in S1

5. Rune graphics like in S3. Those were awesome!
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

The first three games had so much to offer, it was horrible that SIV scrapped it all.

More characterization. You could name dozens upon dozens of characters who were motivated in the first three games to do what they did. Flik's pain over losing Odessa, Victor's struggle's to beat Neclord, Hix and Tengar's rather odd romance, Krin stealing the Toran treasury. SIII had its points of probably the best characterization but it only focused on small groups. Geddoe's, Thomas' Chris' and Hugo's parties. The others seem to be just thrown in there to fill up space. Also, bring back an investigator like Richmond, that guy gave you some good info.

Next, the battle system. Again, integrate all three systems into one. The battle system in SII I thought was the best but too hard to predict. So, use, the rock/paper/scissor method of SI. Magic beat melee, Melee beats archers, Archers beat magic. Not that its an automatic win, but give them an advantage over a comparible unit. It could make it tricky if you try to move a melee unit in and their blocked by mages. Opens up more of a strategic system. Then of course, I loved the idea from SIII that building up your characters made your armies stronger. It made sense, but also made it too easy to beat the army vs. army battles. So have your leaders being built up increase their success in attacks.

Of course, a six party system if for no other reason than having 108 stars and only using 4 people at a time sucks. Of course, also having mages and archers in the same line as melee fighters was beyond lame. And bring back the skill system, easily the best part of Suiko III. But make it more customizable. Having set stats specific to characters are great, but generic stats anyone could equip should be able to be removed even if the character comes with them.

And the castle system needs to return, but build it up like in I and II. It bugged me that nothing changed in III's castle, and that you basically recruited your army before getting your castle.

Dragon Knights...I'd love to see them return, but I'd be surprised if they did. Of course, they are better than the Mantor's of III. Giant bugs...how lame.

I'd also love to see more side quests that helped develop the characters, like the Ryube village burning event or the Elf Village massacre. They really brought a touch of the reality of the war to the game.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

jonathan_priest wrote: I'd also love to see more side quests that helped develop the characters, like the Ryube village burning event or the Elf Village massacre. They really brought a touch of the reality of the war to the game.
That sounds like a good idea, but these events that you've listed aren't side quest. THey're a part of the main story.

I would like to see the return of the treasure bosses like in S3 since the treasure bosses of S4 were a bit lackluster, but lets' not turn this into a "What I hated about Suikoden 4" thread. There are enough of those already.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Yubers-Apprentice

Post by Yubers-Apprentice »

1: I definately want to see 6 on 6 battles just like Suikoden 2.

2: A few returning characters would be nice.

3: customizable castles would be great.

4: A little more strategy in the tactical battles I'd like it to be more like Suikoden 2.

5: Please no sea travel I was half way through Suiko 4 before I found the boats can go faster.

Besides that I hope Konami doen't screw up.
I've beaten Suikoden 1,Suikoden 2,Suikoden 3,Suikoden 4

I still have to beat Suikoden 5...

"Patience is a Virtue"

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life then let's all get drunk and have a good
time."
LGM

Post by LGM »

Also, I would say in Suiko 4 is that by having a HQ on a boat, it really allowed you to be much more free. But the belief that freedom in a game is somehow better is greatly mistaken. Because you could go and fight anywhere meant there was not a balance to your progress.

I always felt there was no graduated difficulty curve in Suiko 4, and that the game was devoid of level bosses, where some of the random character battles where unfairly nasty (like the skeletons or stone behemoth thingy's). The fact you had to face these monsters near the beginning and the end of the game and they didn't get any stronger later on was ridiculous.

What the game needs to help this (and the storyline) is defined chapters where certain areas are shut off until a later time, which will not only streamline the 'aimless wandering' around a misted map, but will also give you a cretain amount to look forward to as you progress.
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Geddoe

Post by Geddoe »

OK, I hated the S2 War System, I could attack forever with an atk of 16 against a def of 5 and still ot land a hit. How do you people love it? I liked S3's War System alot better, you actually had to level characters and work on skills, weapons, and armor for that character to be effective in battle. S3 was the first time I actually leveled all the characters.
Spanish Seed

Post by Spanish Seed »

The war system in Suikoden III also had people use their runes on their own free will. Picking attack, some that had runes like Great Hawk, Unicorn, etc. would do the move/spell at random. Though the idea of ATK & DEF was different giving each leader someone that could be of use either helping attack, defense, or support moves. Archers & Mages that attacked from a distance without having to get in a battle (with exception to hitting other mages & archers) was a plus.
forever-zero

Post by forever-zero »

george prime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

1) Not bad too see a Dragon Knight again maybe a different character, as long it has kickarz Dragon with him. lolz!

2) No arguements on the 6-party member I mean playing 4 on the last Suikoden was a little bit umm... wierd to say, since Suikoden is the only RPG that uses 6 characters with combo attacks too boot, So! Keep the Tradition!!!

3) We need more unite attacks with kickarz manuevers! Yes! Yes!

4) The boat was nice if only they made us customize the ship from the outside/in, since it was not a castle where the story can build(not just open) new areas with every new character, So if they do a ship(air ship, lolz!) they should let us customize it like we do our home in the Sims or it be Castle for life! argh!!! (bad impersonation of pirate here)

5) Agree on a better war system (3 was nice but not much space to move on, 4 was too simple, I won't even go back to 1. lolz! unless they make this one into a mini-game hehehe), maybe if they do an awesome job with Rhapsodia system they'd apply that to Suikoden 5 as the war system. They can do it like in Super Robot Wars where if the combo partner is on an adjacent cell they can do a combo attack(army doing combo attacks depending on the leader ooh! that would be soooo nice).
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I want a war between Mushrooms and Mints again. And seriously, some "vampires" wouldn't hurt to show up.

I would also love to see another dragon knight, but just a minor inclusion, and if Konami( or Konami-Hudson?) would bring back the s1 war battles fused with s2 war gameplay, that would be great. And I wish all battle-chars. could have a personal unite-attack with the hero. And about the Hq, I want to see a different one this time...not just a castle, I hope.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

*shrug* I don't know if I'd like it if EVERY character had a unite with the main character. Unites are usually between characters that have special bonds, use the same weapons or have a distinct similar trait. It wouldn't be special at all if any and everyone had a unite, but then again I could just be nitpicking. *cough*
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Something it would need (well, not so much need, but it's always pretty nifty), which has more or less become a staple in the series, is former enemies joining you. Lesse, in SI we had a whole plethora; Kwanda, Milich, Kasim, Sonya, Valeria, Alen, Grenseal, Griffith, erm...I think that's it. In SII there was Kiba and Klaus, In III everyone is more or less opposed to each other from the start anyway, but the main antagonists of the game are quite important Stars of Destiny, and in IV there was Helmut. It's just not Suikoden without a good ol' dollop of surrendering enemies.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

We also had the Bandits of Mt.Seifu and the Lake Pirates in Suikoden I. In the Saturn version the pirates kidnapped a girl from your army and gave you a reason to go to them.