5 things that suiko V needs.

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

[quote="executor of balance"]
5. Mr.T, a.k.a. BA Baracus should be a playable character :lol:[/quote]

Yeah right, definitely. We need to visit Dragon´s Den riding a dragon with him in our party.Drugging BA Baracus should be a nice sidequest :lol:

About the battles, I am fan of SII major battles too, but I wouldn´t mind to be surprised with something new and freshing -and good...-

We need a headquarters where you can move smoothly and not crossing doors all the time -with their respective loading time-.That was a very good point in SI & II, the loading time almost wasn´t there.
Maas Stormgripper

Post by Maas Stormgripper »

Five things I'd like to see:

1) more information on the mysteries that are Jean and Vikki
2) A Unit Battle system like #s 2 and or 4
3) more familiar characters.
4) I like that they often alternate as to who can fight and who can't, ie Jean was an adventuring character in 4, the blacksmiths and the cooks in 1, that kind of thing.
5) more unique combo attacks. I was very disappointed that 4 featured several "copycat" attacks.
What you think I was born this way?
Squee_McSquiggles

Post by Squee_McSquiggles »

Sasarai is cute wrote: Suikoden 4 just had a worthless trade system and idiot minigames.
The only thing that I hated about the minigames was that far too much time was spent on them, but not the rest of the game.
Suikoden 5 should have something like the lottery, a good and balanced trade system that really gives you the ability to make a REAL profit.
I never liked the lottery, but I LOVED trading. They need new items I think though, maybe take off some of the old ones. Prices are too easy to predict between games. I know within the seperate games they change, but it doesn't feel like enough for me.
I could even imagine some kind of "headhunter" system, like the one in Phantasy Star 4.
In Suikoden it could look like this: During the main storyline you recruit a "headhunter", he is an obligatory star who joins automatically. Then with him in your party you have the ability to recruit a couple of other shady characters, a headhunter and an administrative person, who then starts a hunters guild at your headquarters and starts giving out a long list of sidequests which could lead to money, treasure and other things.
If implemented correctly, this could be A LOT of fun.
One more thing i NEED and have been longing for, for way too long, is a more direct and fluid "random social interaction" system at the headquarters.
Make the coffee shop or tavern a place where characters come and go completely random and where you can participate in discussions, give people advice and learn about character secrets.
There should be hundreds of different random situations that could occur here and some of them should even influence the game in some way. For example, talking to different persons at different times could bring out super secret combination attacks.
This is a really good idea. I like it better than the investigation system. I wouldn't replace the investigation system, but together we might get a better feeling of camraderie amongst the stars.
One more NEEDED addition is a SEAMSTRESS or a fashion designer star of destiny that will allow EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER in the game to change between outfits. These will be found as "drawings/sketchings" all over the world and will be the same for everyone but look completely different on different characters.
There should also be a top-secret sketching available only if you are a hardcore player or have been reading a cheats manual, this one should make characters dress in sexy SWIMWEAR.
Outfit changes are needed? It could be a nice bonus, but I don't want to see the game turn into Final Fantasy X-2.

As far as the war battle system goes, I'm hoping that Konami decided to use an SRPG game for Suikoden Tactics to transition into a war battle system that functions similarly to Tactics, or any war battle system that reqires more use of strategy than in previous games.

I'd also really like to see a tying together of the significance of Suikoden IV with the previous games. I think that was a part of the problem with IV, aside from Ted being in the game if you happened to find the ghost ship and Jeane, Leknaat, and Viki making their obligatory appearances, there was very little connection with the rest of the series. I'd like to see the direction they're taking with the series and maybe get a hint of where it ultimately will lead.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

There's two ways they could connect Suikoden IV to the other games (specifically Suikoden V): a descendent of Bartholomew, and Hero IV. I'm sure that there are others, but I don't see them. I mean, the other connections like Jeane and Viki aren't exclusive to Suikoden IV, so you'd feel more of a connection to the entire series, and not to Suikoden IV specifically.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I agree. That would tie in S4 really well with the other games in the series.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Squee_McSquiggles

Post by Squee_McSquiggles »

Ties between the games could really be anything at this point, especially since we don't know when Suikoden V occurs yet. A decendant of the Hero or something along those lines would would work, but I was thinking of something more along the line of how the politics of the Island Nations relate to Falena.
Weilong Jin

Post by Weilong Jin »

What i would really like to see, is a few recruitable characters above the 108 stars. I dont mean squirrels or any other relatively stupid creatures. But actual characters that aren't some of the 108 stars. It's unrealistic that in a whole army the only people of any importance are these 108 people. Maybe have 130 recruitable characters. Then if you play through and get all 108 stars you can go back and get the extra 22, and get a small bonus for that. Also i like the idea of a Tavern where you can find out about other people and influence them by giving advice.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The '108 Stars of Destiny' idea comes straight from the original book, so I doubt they would change this aspect of the series.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Yeah, besides, coming up with 108 characters must be hard enough as it is, let alone adding another 22.
Aeris Blight

Post by Aeris Blight »

hmmm... the HQ of suikoden IV was kinda weird...

I was having a sea battle, and let my HQ ship sink. It got me thinking... I mean... all of the 108 stars just sank to the bottom. Everything was just gone! It would make more sense if they didnt let the HQ ship fight in the wars O.o
Maas Stormgripper

Post by Maas Stormgripper »

Squee_McSquiggles wrote:Ties between the games could really be anything at this point, especially since we don't know when Suikoden V occurs yet. A decendant of the Hero or something along those lines would would work, but I was thinking of something more along the line of how the politics of the Island Nations relate to Falena.
I cannot remember, did Hero IV loose his rune? Cause if he didn't wouldn't he still be alive? Just a thought.
What you think I was born this way?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Hero4, Lazlo, still has his rune and unless something happened in thosw 100+ years he's probably still alive.
I hope everything is going delicious.
zionprophecy

Post by zionprophecy »

hmm 5 things S5 should have eh?:
1. back to the old style of music, those memorable moments i still wish video games had. i loook at the suikoden series like an old girlfriend who (suikoden 1) when u went out with everything was amazing, you broke up and then every other girl(game) sucked big time cause nothing came close to the first girlfriend =D LOL

2. HQ like others have said, should be stationary and not really participating in battles like the ship. Maybe as a castle.
3. Killey, sindar ruins, lorelai, the whole lot of sindar ruins returned and explained more fully. Just as a side quest since i dont see the sindar ruins really becoming a huge storyline add on.

4. a tie in with earlier suikodens (1 and 2) sicne by far they were the best and hopefully they could use s5 to revamp the series and get some memories like s1 and s2.

5.. and last? anything, i dont care what it is, i will buy s5 regardless of how bad it is, i will play it either way. The makers will figure out whats best in their minds and thats what counts =D
I never said a word to my wife until i said yes to a divorce.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

zionprophecy wrote:5.. and last? anything, i dont care what it is, i will buy s5 regardless of how bad it is, i will play it either way. The makers will figure out whats best in their minds and thats what counts =D
Wow, comments like that scare the hell out of me. Seriously, If makers can't see what elements in their game series are being met with thunderous applause and which are being frowned upon abundantly then they can only screw up more frequently.

I dunno. If they start making one too many bad sequels and we just eat em' up, they may think they can get away with murder. And that's just....... Bad. Really bad I'd say.

Anyone see my point? Keep the widely loved with a touch of experimentation and improvements. That's just playing it safe from a business perspective as well as for the fans.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I agree. Game makers have to continually earn our respect by producing good games. They already get away with enough by using series names just so that they can gain an automatic fan base. I give a series faith until I run into a bad game, then I'm suspicious and the next game I read a lot of reviews before I buy it. If it's also bad they've lost me, and it will take something remarkable to bring me back.