5 things that suiko V needs.

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

You have to receive a critical hit from an enemy. There's only a few enemies that are known to achieve critical hits, so I can see how it would be hard. As Kuromimi said awhile ago, Troy and Colton dish out plenty of critical hits, but you only fight them once, so that doesn't help very much.
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

I don't think reseting the lottery in Suikoden 3 is really cheating. Not everyone have the patience to reset 20-30 times before they win 500 000.

I always start Hugo's and Geddoe's chapters by getting a nice 100 000 or 500 000 through resetting. Since everything is so expensive and I hate wasting time fighting low level enemies just to get my weapons upgraded. The lack of "challenge" that some people might argue due to my tactics is compensated by going the hard way and winning in all the story-battles against Yuber&CO.

I always start Suikoden 1 with a nice "10 000 at a time, then quit and pick the same cup the next time" at Marco until I have around 250 000. That keeps me floating until I get the headquarters (I always smile when Viktor tells Camille they are short of cash), the last person I recruit, before heading to the great forest, is Gaspar. Then I "cheat" again by resetting and gambling my way up to hundreds of thousands of gold.

I just don't think money problem is an important or funny aspect of challenge. I am a typical powerplayer anyway. I have hardly ever encountered a standard boss in an RPG game which I haven't slaughtered easily.
That just about says everything about my playingstyle. Very static.
My reward is the plot and the satisfaction it gives me to create an invincible band of slayers with extreme stats and equipment.
This is another reason why I love the skills system, the customizing and leveling up almost every character just to use them in major battles such as in Suikoden 3.
That reminds me, I want the major battles in Suikoden 5 to take characters real lvl and equipment into play, just like in Suikoden 3 where you could create an army of killing-machines.

All of this is off topic. I was just trying to speak on behalf of the lottery, since I wouldn't wanna play without an easy way to make money. No matter how you got the money, the "clank clank" from the Blacksmith always sounds like music to my ears.

I love blacksmiths as well. Suikoden 5 should have 2 blacksmiths to choose from where one canceled out the other when recruited. The first one should be a traditional, burly, musky blacksmith focusing on power. The second alternative should be an elven blacksmith who could increase weapons rune capacity to a higher degree and make armour and equipment from special items.
This could make the game completely different and extremely varied every time you play through.
An idea could be to limit certain individual power items to the traditional blacksmith. Let him copyright for example "Windspun armour" and "Earth Shields" and give his craft a bonus to sluggish weapons while letting the elven blacksmith increase firing rate of long range weapons and create items such as "fire emblems" and "magic rings" as well as opening up additional rune slots on weapons. But give the elf a handicap when improving heavy melee weapons.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
JianLong

Post by JianLong »

1. A sense of immersement in the game....I only felt deeply immersed in Suiko 1 and 2, then the rest wasn't too good, and the endings were horrible.
2. A hero that doesn't look like a gay person trying to attract other men.
3. A good ending. Suiko 3 and 4 didn't even have a quarter decent ending....
4. A less predictable set up (ie: the queen was benevolent peace ful queen, and you are her son) we need some more originality
5. cut scenes that are more than 30 seconds long and actually has meaningful purpose
killey

Post by killey »

Suikoden V needs a good history
SI had the succession war
SII had the Jowstone/Highland war
SIII had the original flame champion battles
and SIV had the Kooluk/Obel war.
I think SV has to have a good history in order to build up some of the characters. And also more exploration potential (SI and II) rather than walking across lines or discovering that no matter how long you sail for the ocean never damn well changes.
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

In my opinion:
We need a good, deep history.
We need -and will have- six party members.
What we dont need is more sailing around and I really hated the map system in SIII.I want more freedom...
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Yes, I'd like to have a free roaming system when you are on the world, like in Suikoden I and II, and I want to walk places, not sail places. It's tiring and boring to sail from place to place.

Also, I'd like Suikoden V to have short loading sequences, unlike Suikoden IV when you enter a random battle, the blurry screen stayed for about 5 seconds!
executor of balance

Post by executor of balance »

1. Awesome looking spells and effects (not those lame animations from 4)
2. Good, thrilling,exciting,surprising story of course
3. An uber-villain
4. An original headquarters (neither castle nor boat)
5. Mr.T, a.k.a. BA Baracus should be a playable character :lol:
The graveyard is full of indispensable men
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oppenheimer wrote:The danger of topic is a "list" topic that won't generate any discussion. If you wish to discuss those five issues, that's great, but just to take turns listing off things you want isn't a paticularily good use of bandwidth. As long as you continues discuss of the 5 issues this topic should be alright.
Please be careful, a lot of people are just putting lists without discussing the points already brought up. I cannot allow this to turn into a list topic which generates no discussion.
True Wind Bearer

executor of balance wrote:1. Awesome looking spells and effects (not those lame animations from 4)
2. Good, thrilling,exciting,surprising story of course
3. An uber-villain
4. An original headquarters (neither castle nor boat)
5. Mr.T, a.k.a. BA Baracus should be a playable character :lol:
I agree with your point "An uber-villain". I'd like to see a bloodthristy demon similar to Luca Blight. With the 3D effects and voice overs, I'm sure Konami could make a villain feared by all, even the people who are playing the game.
killey

Post by killey »

I forgot to put this in my other post, Suikoden V needs Resurrection runes like in Suikoden II and Im in complete agreement over the villian Luca was such a good villian because of how brutally ruthless he was, you just don't see those kind of villians in final fantasy games or recent Suikodens for that matter (Graham Cray was really poorly done he wasn't shown to be evil enough times and the worst thing he did is only revealed at the end and not much time is spent on it)
Luc

Yeah

Post by Luc »

What I'd like to see in the SV is a much more variety of likeable, MEMORABLE characters. Many of the SIV character's were either underdeveloped or poorly developed.

Also, I'd like to see fighters and magicians who use a variety of unique and even unconventional weapons. There wasn't enough variety of weapons in Suikoden IV. Example: From looking at Jewel's design I thought she would fight with her fists but it turns out she uses a sword... just like almost every other character in the game. Even the Hero's weapon was boring in my opinion.

I wanna see naginatas, sickle and chains, maces, windmill shurikens, or even an umbrella (I like characters who fight with umbrellas, from Shizumaru in Samurai Shodown to Okuni in Samurai Warriors).
True Wind Bearer

Looking at the Suikoden IV Weapon Growth Guide, I see there are quite a lot of characters who use a one-handed sword. I remember when I first played Suikoden IV, I noticed that Paula, Tal, Keith and Jewel used a sword (all with quite dull names might I add).

I agree, I wish Suikoden IV had a greater variety of weapons to use in combat, but this list satisfies me. It would have been great if Akaghi or Mizuki used Numchucks or something with the ninja essence about it, rather than plain claws.

I may be contradicting myself with my former statement here,
(all with quite dull names might I add)
but I'm just referring to those 4. All, or most other characters have interesting names for their weapons, one that catches my eye would be Mizuki's. In contrast to Nalkul's and Champo's, Mizuki's weapon names are far superior.

Personally, I liked Lazlo's weapon. Also, I like how only he and Kika have a "two sword". Even though it may have been done before *cough*Killey*cough*, it's still nice to see.
Pessy

Post by Pessy »

Many intresting points in here, and I agree that a game should have
a good story, gameplay and so on, but.

I really want the game to be harder. I just hate that you can beat the final boss in s4 in just 2 rounds ( almost one ). Also regular monsters should be more annoying.

Also one v one battels should be harder. The hero makes Troy look like a piteful fighter. If you all remeber the fight between Pahn and Teo, now that is a bit hard. The opponent should not be so clear about what kind of attack he is doing next. More luck should be involved.
YubersNightRune

Re: 5 things that suiko V needs.

Post by YubersNightRune »

MrKnowItAll wrote:5. A better war battle something like suiko 2 but you can position the ppl on the battle map and you can ambush ppl.
Yes I like the suikoden 2 battles best if suiko 5 had them I'd expect at least 20 major battles because I love um :)
http://www.BodyBuilding.com Is all that you need!
chou-kunoichi

Re: 5 things that suiko V needs.

Post by chou-kunoichi »

MrKnowItAll wrote:1. Well i want to see the Dragon knights again, i miss the futch from suiko 3 and the mountin they had.

2.Six party members ...it worked way better than 4..plus better lookin characters.

3. Needs more unite attacks ...suiko 3 and 4 felt like it didnt have that many unite attacks.

4. A castle ...gotta love the comfort of a castle ..would love a customizable castle but i wont be picky.

5. A better war battle something like suiko 2 but you can position the ppl on the battle map and you can ambush ppl.

Feel free to add more if yall like.
Yah Ryt! I Agree with him too!

1. Nedds more unite and more move stances than the rest.. it would make the gamer more addicted to the game.! heheh... and also the Rune's, Make it more elegant Moves or More 3D Cinematics than the rest that just raise they're Right or Left Hand and say nothing.

2. The Castle.. Only made when your Prefect or Customize it with on your own idea... like placing the Rooms, Store and Ect.

3. 6 Characters in Battle and also in selection.. So that the gamer won't be shamed like the only 4 characters in Battle..

4. Yah ryt! War Tactics like suiko II... But you can freely and you can position your characters on our own free wills.

5. Have they're own fighting stances not having the same fighting stance.