Is Hudson a good company?

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Is Hudson a good company?

Post by dragonmasterx »

So I hear that the recently acquired Hudson will help with Suikoden 5's development. I believe the general quality of an upcoming game can be predicted by looking at the developer's history. So looking at Hudson's past, the only respectable rpgs I recognize are the Tengai Makyou games. I've never played those games, but I think it's a well known rpg series in Japan and among importers. Has anyone here played those games? Is Hudson well known for any other rpgs?

Hudsons' previous games:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10642.html
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

is konami co creating this game with them? im scared that konami is gonna give complete freedom to hudson and hudson is gonna change everything around

like they may not put a strategist or vicki and jeanne, they might change the entire mechanics of the suikoden franchise

although I also believe injecting new people and new ideas is a great thing, but I dont think its great if konami dosent set the ground rules and tells hudon what the storys gonna be, also hudson BETTER study all the previous suikoden titles and learn about the games before they decide to screw around with our favorite franchise!

and to answer your question, no ive never played those rpgs
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Right from Suikox's front page--

Genso Suikoden 5 in joint production by KonamiTYO and Hudson.
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

By looking at their past games....
It looks like there might be a few minigames... scratch that. A heck of a lot of minigames.
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

hmmm... combining bomberman and suikoden...

Throwing runes around and waiting for them to explode...
Strategy is the key to victory!
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

Hudson are a very reliable, experienced company who've done a bit of everything from shmups (Sapphire/Pop N Twinbee) to RPGs like Tengai Makyou and Rune Jade. Not all of their games have been fantastic, but name a company that has? I think it's going to be fine - both companies have been in the business a long time and Hudson have worked on licenses/collaborations before.
I haven't played Tengai Makyou (prob be in the post next month along with another random Sega Ages game) but I have played Sapphire, Pop N Twinbee and Rune Jade. Rune Jade is a top down Diablo style RPG for the Dreamcast that I bought yonks ago. It was pretty interesting, which is a lot considering I don't like those kind of RPGs usually.

Post by Guest »

It seems to me Konami obviously weren't happy about Suiko 4, because they've brought someone else in. I think everyone now admits (including me after playing the game for four or five months) that 4 did not live up to the high standards of the previous games. We wanted certain characters to be in it and new characters to be a little less 1-D, we were not happy with the 4 character battle system (and the random encounters), and we didn't really like the storyline. Actually only having 4 chacters slots meant you were not forced into having a character who advanced the plot, for example; Kirkis in the journey to the Elven village, Gremio going to Soniere prison, or Viktor when you fought Neclord.

If I was Hudson, and I wanted this association to Konami to work, I would give the fans what they want. Does Capcom change all of the characters for the street fighter games every game? No, it gives the fans Ryu, Ken and Chun Li because they want to play these characters. Suikodens real fault was it wasn't much like the other 3.

I'm guessing Hudson will do their homework. Look at forums like this and in Japan of what the fans want (within reason). By using the Queendom of Faleena they've already shown that they are trying use the mythology from the first games, which sets up a lot of chances for past (or is that future?) plotlines to return. Faleena is a talking point amongst fans.

Expect to see far more popular characters returning, I guess this game is about 10 to 30 years before suiko 1. Plus more back story for new characters.

Expect the battle system to be tweaked.

Expect a far more 'traditional Suikoden' storyline like in 1 and 2.
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

I can see your point of view "Guest", but for me the biggest problems with IV was that it was trying too hard to be like the first two games.
Your Street Fighter analogy is exactly what I don't want from Suikoden; that is, I don't want them to continually "play it safe" and keep giving us Suikoden 2.2.5alpha, for fear of scaring away the fans.
S3 did almost everything differently and I felt was a real breath of fresh air for the series, and rather than look at what 3 didn't do so well and refine or correct those aspects when the game was criticised, they lost all courage and reverted back to the old template.
I hope V is a very different game from the others, and I also hope it will be a great RPG, but I don't want them to get so caught up in "pleasing the fans" that that would take precendece over everything else.
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

However Suidoken 3 and it's changes scared away quite a few Suidoken fans as well. It's changes worked for the better for the most part but for some people that did not matter. It was too different from one and two and scared some fans away.
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

I agree with that but surely for those blinkered people who insist that Suikoden 2 is better than any game that ever has, or ever will come out (in every way too, of course) will never be satisfied with any other sequel to the series, no matter how good it is.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Kimimi wrote:I can see your point of view "Guest", but for me the biggest problems with IV was that it was trying too hard to be like the first two games.
Your Street Fighter analogy is exactly what I don't want from Suikoden; that is, I don't want them to continually "play it safe" and keep giving us Suikoden 2.2.5alpha, for fear of scaring away the fans.
S3 did almost everything differently and I felt was a real breath of fresh air for the series, and rather than look at what 3 didn't do so well and refine or correct those aspects when the game was criticised, they lost all courage and reverted back to the old template.
I hope V is a very different game from the others, and I also hope it will be a great RPG, but I don't want them to get so caught up in "pleasing the fans" that that would take precendece over everything else.
I agree with your point wholeheartedly, Kimimi. Finally someone else who sees the progress of the series in the same way as I do. Suikoden III might have scared away the so-called "loyal" fans, but more importantly it managed to capture many more new fans. That was definitely an achievement that'slacking from the "traditional" style of Suikoden IV?

As for the acquisition of Hudson, didn't that happen long before Suikoden IV's release? Considering how Konami was supposed to already have two teams working on the series during IV's production, the decision to include Hudson might have been made independently of the reactions following IV.

If they were acquired following IV's release (that was only a year ago!), then I can only hope this game won't be anything like those other "rushed" job in the market.
Mukumuku

Post by Mukumuku »

I really don't get why suiko fans hated suikoden IV i think it was fine (the only thing that annoyed the crud outta me was the Naval battle.
Why do so many people hate Americans?
Is it our fault that we're #1?
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

suikoden 4 lacked depth and length. The adventure was fun and all but it was way too short. There weren't enough mini-quests that involved fighting and thinking to recruit the 108 characters. There weren't many places to go to.
The naval battles was pointless. All ya had to do was match up the Rune cannons, no strategy involved.
Also, characters being recruited late in the game join at low levels, especially the 2 other Razril knights and Snowe that stayed. I think people got impatient trying to train the characters.

Suikoden 2 was just that good so it's hard for any sequels to match up with it i guess.
Strategy is the key to victory!
SuikoCrimson108

Post by SuikoCrimson108 »

Hudson is a good and very reliable company. They made the Bloody Roar games which is known for its soft 3d graphics and fast battle. I guess Hudson will make Suikoden 5 more better than the Suiko games.
Suiko.tk: Yet another Suikoden site.
lonedarkwolf

Post by lonedarkwolf »

i actually liked IV and well i liked how the others were made in the past so im kinda hopin they dont make too much of a difference