Closed with the release.
Nash L.

Post by Nash L. »

If you look carefully, Flare is back too! :D
Hash

Post by Hash »

That link died, Jowy. Here's the new one:

http://nihon.kaisho.org/Abel/Suikoden%2 ... n%2002.jpg

Also, here's a link to an interview. Could someone translate it? I'm dying to know what the creators have to say about Rhapsodia.

http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/recom ... index.html
Destiny's Warrior

Post by Destiny's Warrior »

It looks like the hero 4 can talk in this one.
"It's called 'Sex Panther' by Odeon... It's illegal in 9 countries... Yep, it's made with real bits of panther so you know it's good."

"Are we about to get it on, 'cause i'm as hard as diamond in an ice storm..."
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Other translators don't seem to be around, so I'll do a quick summary(possibly full of errors) based on my comprehension.

DragonmasterX's Rough Summary:

1. Why is the latest entry in the Gensou series not a RPG, but a SRPG?
Matsukawa: Many have wondered how the Gensou series would fare as a SRPG. We've got the world and the battle system down, so we figured we'd give this SRPG genre a shot. Another reason is that many of our staff members are major SRPG fans.

2. Why is "Genso Suikoden" not part of the title?
Matsukawa: People immediately think of a rpg upon hearing that title. We didn't want to mislead anyone(DragonmasterX's comment: a good example of misleading titles are the SRPG-> Action RPG turned Shining Force Tears and Shining Force Neo).

Kawano: Rhapsodia's root is rhapsode. One pictures many characters jumbled together on the battlefield.

3. Why did you choose Suikoden 4 as the setting?
Matsukawa: Suikoden 4 is the latest entry in the series, so fans are most familiar with this. Also, we wanted those who played Suikoden 4, but never touched a SPRG, to feel comfortable with Rhapsodia.

4. Will any characters other than Kika from Suikoden IV show up?
Kawano: We can't say yet. Since Rhapsodia covers the past and future of IV, many characters from IV will show up. Kika will possibly show up in works other than IV. Its a must see for fans.

5. If this takes place around IV, does that mean the protagonist and friends aren't Stars of Destiny?
Matsukawa: Indeed, they don't have a special relationship with the 108 Stars of Destiny. New characters and those from IV approve of Kyril's purpose and are working to help him reach his goal.

6. Don't the three revealed characters look more mature than previous protagonists?
Kawano: We've had lots of young men(shounen) in the past, so we decided to change the art a bit. We used thinner, finer lines for the characters. The costume style is changed a bit. Compared to IV, colors are used in greater moderation and the characters appear calmer.

7. What's the relationship between the three characters?
Komuta: They're all Kyril's father's subordinates.

Saruta: Judging from the artwork, Kyril is in his late 10's. Andarc and Seneca are in their late 20's.

Komuta: The two have been watching over Kyril since he was an infant. He's almost like a little brother to them.

Kawano: The interactions between the three are interesting. Kyril is the typical hot-blooded man, Andarc is overly serious, and Seneca, being the comic-relief, always calms them down.

Matsukawa:Since Kyril and Andarc are dimwits, we made Seneca the comic relief to contrast them.

Komuta: Seneca also acts like a sister, so please pay attention to that.
Kawano: In anxious and uneasy situations, Seneca somehow lightens up the situation. She's an essential member of the party.

8. What did you focus on in creating the battle system?
Matsukawa: When it comes to SRPGs, many parameters and esoteric terms are involved. That makes it interesting, but also difficult to approach. What circumstances will arise when the player gives commands can be seen at a glance due to the effusion icons. Of course, the familiar skill and support systems and unite attacks will also be criticals elements, allowing for deep strategy.

9. In IV, once a unite attack is learned, it can be used over and over again. Rhapsodia is a SRPG, so the unite attack system must have changed somewhat?
Kawano: Characters standing next to each other, in triangle formation, etc. can use unite attacks. However, the friendship rating between the characters must be raised first. That is done by sending characters to the same battlefield a set number of times and choosing "talk."

Komuta: Whether or not "talk" can be used can be seen from the effusion icons. They also let the player immediately know if unite attacks can be used.

Matsukawa: Since this is a SRPG, we are strongly focusing on making it easy to understand. For IV's ship battles, we experimented with letting characters bring along many subordinates , but we canned it since it ended up being too complex. We considered using hexes for Rhapsodia, but ultimately concluded that squares would be easiest to understand. Starting with the characters, we tried not to make them look too realisitic. Going with more of a cartoonish look in accordance with making everything easy to understand. As for the map, we made the angle and height alterable. So the player can change to the most dramatic angle while easily understanding everything at once.

Komuta: At large, we want Rhapsodia to be as user-friendly as possible.
For example, we set is so that there is no grid and it does not seem like the usual SRPG at first glance. By doing so, those with no experience in SRPGs can easily get into Rhapsodia. And they would come to an epiphany about the greatness of SRPGs, which would make me feel blessed. (laughs)

Saruta: And just like the previous Genso games, another charm of Rhapsodia is that numerous characters will join the party. Recruiting all characters in the first playthrough will be quite difficult. I'd like the players to challenge themselves by trying to recruit everyone in 2-3 playthroughs,

Matsukawa: There are many challenges other than recruiting everyone, such as...

Kawano: That will become more clear in time, so please look forward to upcoming Rhapsodia news. (laughs)

10. Any last words for those reading this?
Saruta: We've set a new stage, characters, and drama, so please have fun.

Komuta: With this new system that previous Genso games have never embarked upon, try leveling your favorite characters.

Kawano: Those new to the Suikoden series will also be able to get into Rhapsodia. They can start with Rhapsodia and move on the previous games.

Matsukawa: We've condensed and packed the charm of the battle and characters of the Genso series into a SRPG. After you clear OZ, please play Rhapsodia!

Thank you for your time.
---
Matsukawa: Executive Producer
Kawano: Produer & Character Designer
Komuta: Director
Saruta: Manager

It ended up being more of a translation than a summary.
Last edited by dragonmasterx on Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Shumphrey

Post by Shumphrey »

I know this is very old news, but it is "official" information and a link was never, to my knowledge, provided for it. Here is a link to the United States Patent and Trademark Office file for Suikoden Tactics:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f= ... dpkk0v.2.1

However, just because something is trademarked does not, under any circumstances, mean that it will definitely be available. For instance, Grand Theft Auto regularly trademarks names to keep fans guessing.
Hash

Post by Hash »

IGN got an early (?) english version of the game. They have the opening, videos from the tutorial, first battles. There's english voice acting too.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/642/642556p1.html
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/rhapsodia/ has been updated again, with a trailer in the downloads section. If you look carefully there are more Suikoden IV characters. I'm guessing we're gonna see each and every one of them in a way.
[evil laugh here]
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the trailer on the official site shows a rune combo.. lightning + fire.. area attack. also some unites which also attacked areas.

is that character talking at 2:35-2:40 a character from S4? looks new to me but i'm not too familiar with 4. she looks like a possible falcon rune/style candidate
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

KFCrispy wrote:the trailer on the official site shows a rune combo.. lightning + fire.. area attack. also some unites which also attacked areas.

is that character talking at 2:35-2:40 a character from S4? looks new to me but i'm not too familiar with 4. she looks like a possible falcon rune/style candidate
She's someone new, and judging from her colleagues appearances she also works for Kooluk.

Edit: I've been trying to figure out what the camera is getting a close-up of during 0:35-0:37
I hope everything is going delicious.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I don't know why I didn't notice it before. It looks like Reinhold is in a battle in a couple of screenshots on the Konami site. Mitsuba might not be far behind.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Could you specify where you see Reinhold? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't see him.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Reinhold is unmistakeable because he is still wearing the bandages as he and Mitsuba are still participating in pseudo-fraudulent duels. The bamboo spear helps you identify him also.

If you click on the screenhot menu and select the second choice with the 2 in it and that is where Reinhold is.

The first picture in the first set of three has Reinhold in it. Also I think that Mitsuba might be concealed behind Seneca's first aid sign.

Now press 2 underneath the set of pictures to move onto the next set of three.

Reinhold is in the third picture. The very first turn profile at the top might be Mitsuba also and it looks like her sword is peeking out from behind the Rita profile on the right.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I see him. It took me a while to find him, but that is indeed Reinhold in that picture. Bamboo Spear, Bandages, and all. Mitsuba is there also. If you click 3 at the bottom, then go to the 3rd picture you'll see her at the top.

Looks like Cedric will be involved in battle as well this time. It also appears that our favor GS4 BS is back as well.
I hope everything is going delicious.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

戦闘 Battle:

基本バトル Basics of Battle
Characters fighting on the battlefield are called units. And each unit's turn order is determined by a speed stat. The leftmost character on the screen(most likely those little icons on top) gets to move first.

After choosing actions such as move, attack, wait, and finally choosing a direction to face, the unit's turn will end. Then the next unit can act. This process is repeated until the victory condition is satisfied, thus clearing the stage.

地面属性 Elemental Ground Attributes
The five elements of the runes such as fire and water are now part of the terrain as well. Characters can recieve positive or negative bonuses depending on the terrain they stand on.

For example, Kyril's preferred element is fire. He recovers HP and gains a stat boost upon standing above a fire tile. On the other hand, standing above a water tile causes HP damage and lowers his stats.

スキル Skill
Through the party menu at the caravan, skill points earned in battle are used to learn new skills, which are special abilities that each unit possesses. The number of equippable skills may be few at first, but more can be equipped through leveling up.

Learned skills become increasingly effective as skill level is upgraded. Learning skills, and leveling them up varies depending on each unit's qualities. Proficiency in a skill requires fewer skill points to level, and vice versa.
---
街 Town:

鍛冶屋 Blacksmith
Weapons can be leveled up at the blacksmith, thereby increasing their attack power and making battles flow more smoothly.

噂話 Gossip
Collect information from the townspeople. Certain important events must be seen here to progress the story.

道具屋 Tools Shop
Items can be bought and sold here. Equipment can be tried on first before putting down any money, and equipment can also be equipped directly upon buying them. Rare goods can also be bought here.

紋章師 Rune Master
Have rune masters attach rune crystals to gain use of arts, magic, and special abilities. Two broad categorizations of rune crystals are arts and magic, and there are three other categories.
---
Feel free to point out errors.
If anyone's going to post my translation elsewhere; please credit me, or suikosource.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

only 5 elements? i guess darkness and resurrection yet again will not play a major role in battle.. nor shield..