The future: What to keep, change, & bring back...

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Kirkis

Wants/Needs in a Suikoden Game

Post by Kirkis »

Well, it's not really speculation or related to plot, but this is the best place I could find to unleash a little rant/request...

Let's pretend for a moment that Konami would actually read this post, make a few suggestions that you think would make the Suikoden game better gameplay wise, not storyline/characters you want to come back wise.

My List:

Weapons: Why does everyone need to have a level 1 weapon when you get them? You didn't have this in Suikoden 1, IE Valeria joins you in the Elf Village, she has a rank 7 weapon, and so she isn't 'weak' when you have to have her in your party. Also, bring back elemental rune pieces.

Boss/Enemy Difficulty: Adopt the system used by the Lunar games, and if not all enemies (like in FF8), then have atleast the bosses level up with your characters, so that you won't be able to kill the final boss in 2-3 rounds with your overpowered characters. I always end up leveling up my characters too high and it's not like I'm even really TRYING to pump up my level, it's just from normal gameplay.

Translations: By now, there are more than enough websites out there including Suikosource that have corrections to a lot of the reoccuring mistranslations, if you're going to translate these games, atleast try to be consistant. Sindar or Cyndar, True Holy or Godspeed, and so on and so forth.

Unites & Techs: There were wonderful Unites in Suikoden 4, very detailed and amusing/funny, please bring these awesome Unites back, Suikoden 5's were very bland, the same can be said of certain runes, bring back their old animations, like the Falcon Rune for example.

New Game +: Allow equipped items to transfer over, so everyone doesn't have to unequip and de-rune all of their party members before the final boss.

That's about all I've got so far, everything else they did in Suikoden 5 in terms of upgrading previous games, has my mark of approval, like the timed duels, formation system, etc.[/b]
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Maybe the battle difficulty would be better if they improved the enemy AI, like healing when HP is low, targeting mages first, using status change, etc. They could also make more use of elemental attacks, having some enemies that can only receive physical attacks or that are hard be defeated without using a certain element.

About the rune pieces, weren’t they replaced by the elemental sword rune? This type of rune was kind of useless, they should improve it, maybe making the elemental change automatic.
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

Rezard wrote:Maybe the battle difficulty would be better if they improved the enemy AI, like healing when HP is low, targeting mages first, using status change, etc. They could also make more use of elemental attacks, having some enemies that can only receive physical attacks or that are hard be defeated without using a certain element.

About the rune pieces, weren’t they replaced by the elemental sword rune? This type of rune was kind of useless, they should improve it, maybe making the elemental change automatic.
They did that a lot in Suikoden Tactics. Just made the beatdown a lot more fun.

The next Suikoden should be pushed on to what came after Suikoden III. All i've seen is that Suikoden V took place in the Queendom of Falena. I assume it's right after the events of Suikoden IV.

What Suikoden needs right now is WAY better gameplay. Options seem so limited when fighting. Thank god they went back to the 6 member party.

Runes, especially True Runes' graphics is not all that it could be. Suikoden has the potential of expanding further. Eg. Suikoden IV's crappy graphics.

finally, i touch on the storyline. It can still be further improved. But please, not so much like Suikoden III's story (IT'S WAY TOO LONG!!).

Overall, Suikoden VI should be improved beyond expectations.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

I assume you're waiting for the PAL of 5, well, Suikoden V is a very long game but has a fantastic storyline that'll keep you on the edge of your seat more than Suikoden III did (It also takes place only like... 15 years or so before Suikoden 1), and certain enemies in 5 did have a certain 'pattern', like Archers and Mages and stuff would always aim for your backrow... but nothing too amazing or crazy, and nobody really used a lot of runes against you.

I also agree, elemental sword runes in 5 were semi-okay idea... but they were only worth putting on the folks who sucked at magic anyway... and the whole thing was just pointless if you ask me. I also think IV had some very nice graphics (Unite wise and Character wise), I do agree though that the spells were teh suck... it also seems ever since the Soul Eater the main character's runes have always been becoming gradually worse... for doing mass-damage or anything amazing...
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

i like ur idea how the difficulties on boss like Lunar, they were pretty tough and need lil effort to level up ur characters and strategies. but it seems to me tat the difficulties on bosses from Suikoden 1 to 5 havent changed at all from my point of view. although the puzzles and recruiting did got alot harder. and for weapons i believe som1 already mentioned it, ppl wants to know the weapon's name from level 1 to 16. I also would have to agree ur idea on New Game+ because tats exactly wat i did b4 i went to the final boss
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Hmm... I'm really not that overly concerned about the name of a weapon when it starts at level 1. I mean... honestly, if I had the choice between solid realistic gameplay and "Oh shoot... well... there's no blacksmith around, so this guy is going in my entourage" or the other scenario "Y'know... even though this big important storyline event is happening, I'm going to run to a town with a blacksmith and grind up the level on my new character's sword.", I'd go with solid gameplay. It breaks the immersion of the game, in my opinion, to always have to worry about things like that. I mean... if you're going to MAKE the guy take up a character slot, the least you can do is make him useable and not just extra baggage.
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

I totally agree with the weapons. Also, they need better puzzles, like Breath of Fire 3 or the Wild Arms series... and those sword elemental runes
bull crap
i hated those
give my character X1.2 with affinity for and element... or double their attack with fury or double edge...
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
WeaponXcalibur

Re: Wants/Needs in a Suikoden Game

Post by WeaponXcalibur »

Kirkis wrote:Boss/Enemy Difficulty: Adopt the system used by the Lunar games, and if not all enemies (like in FF8), then have atleast the bosses level up with your characters, so that you won't be able to kill the final boss in 2-3 rounds with your overpowered characters. I always end up leveling up my characters too high and it's not like I'm even really TRYING to pump up my level, it's just from normal gameplay.
whatever you do dont do the final fantasy 8 rout. i have beaten that game at like 14 which is rediculous there is no need to level up for the most part in that game. also i have gotten to max level on my first trip outside balamb garden which is pathetic.(before you enter fire caves to fight ifrit) the system in the game was horrible.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Well... maybe not for normal enemies but DEFINITELY for bosses, I was really upset that many of the bosses, ESPECIALLY the 5 random soldiers and then some general/whatever guy in the middle in the back row, and then you waltz in with like, Zerase or anybody with a strong attack all enemies rune and kill all the other enemies in 1 spell. I DEFINITELY remember killing off like... 2-3 powerful enemies with a certain powerful true rune, in like 1 turn. They never even had a chance to attack me.
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

no more formations either please, made the game way to easy.

i liked the skill system in V and how you could only have 2 equipped (1 if the char had a unique skill) because it made you sacrifice something but the epic skills were over the top.

i fully agree about the weapons levels too, having a supposedly awesome character (from the story's pov) join your party with a level 1 weapon really sucked.

Also i'd like to go back to the rune attachment to weapons ala suikoden 2 - it freed up a rune slot and gave you something to do with your many fire/lightning/wind/water/earth runes besides sell them.

The afinity to certain rune types is cool but i think only the 5 main archetypes (fire/wind/water/earth/lightning) should be given an afinity stat - everything else should be the same for everyone - ok maybe a holy/dark afinity too. Also i think less emphasis should be put on afinity as a whole.

The stats window needs to seperate STR and ATK (in V there is only an ATK stat). its rather annoying having to subtract a characters weapon +to atk in order to find out their str.

I think the series is moving in a much better direction now though after beating V, I was good, II was amazing, and III was solid but i felt IV was rushed and limited with not a very fleshed out story (which is why they needed tactics), with V it seems like konami is back on the right track with i think the best overall story since II. (sorry didn't mean to spout off a "favorites paragraph").
"Shall I deposit his corpse in the nearest body of water?"
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

I liked the idea of formations, 'cuz you could have like, an all long range party or an all short range party, and you wouldn't get screwed over by being unable to attack or miss, but I do agree that the ability to 'use' formations to unleash an uber attack all enemies attack was kinda dumb.
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

yeah my main gripe with formations was the formation skills - also some of the formations had over the top stat increases.

the main thing that any suikoden (for me at least) needs to have is a meaningful story. without that its very hard to like a game - especially an rpg.

i just hope for a fleshed out game like II where almost every character has a logical reason for their actions (aside from Luca Blight of course - although the rape of his mother could be seen as a sufficient reason). Also one like III where character development is extraordinary. To me having a story like IV where soooo many plot points are brought up that if finished could make it *the* best suikoden story...but none really are so its actually the worst just kills all the fun in a game for me.

i guess it seems like i'm asking for another suikoden II but all i really want is a story/characters that don't leave a lot to be desired.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Sometimes leaving stuff to be desired is a good thing, like Jeane for example, it always keeps the noodle working. I also think trying to make a game too much in the ways of an old one (Storyline wise) is a really dumb idea and ruins it a bit. IE Childerich trying to be like Luca Blight.

As for Suikoden IV... there were a LOT of subplots, but unfortunately like... no real storyline/epic battles or anything, so it kind of fell flat on it's face... it was like "Woohoo, we killed 2 enemy ships... WE WIN!!!!" and it got old fast, :(

I also wish there were a lot more cutscenes... like in Suikoden 5, it was cutscenes and voice acting galore at the beginning of the game, then it just started going to normal text/dialogue, and very few scenes by the end of the game... it kinda was upsetting.
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

having a story like IV where the main focus is just the rune and the focus on the hero and the war suffer greatly is an example of leaving something to be desired. The war in IV could have been really cool with more enemy ships, land battles, and a greater sense of danger. a more developed rivalry between troy and lazlo would have made the hero seem much more important as well. I felt like i was playing Lino En Kuldes' frontman the whole game. Those are things that leave something to be desired...having sub-plot characters that are full of intrigue like Jeane leaves you wanting more and more...and that's a good thing.

i guess you could say i just really don't want another untied shoe of sub-plots/main-plots that is suikoden IV.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

- My prime concern is the spell animations. I can't even think of one logical reason why a warrior and mage would have the same animations for the same spells.

What I mean is this: spell animations for warriors need to be blunt. Just one small action and that's it. Mages can do anything they want, so why not make things flashy for them?

- I would have said IV's models and III's colours, but Konami granted that wish in V.

- No clichès. Why would I want to see a second Luca? There are MILLIONS of ways to be evil.

'Nuff said.
[evil laugh here]