Character Muteness

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Zellion_of_Nay

Re: Character Muteness

Post by Zellion_of_Nay »

Mikain Clan King wrote: I think it was wierd though how in S5 when it came to cut scenes your character just sat there...But I think of your character having a voice IN the game and he says it when you chose your dialouge but you can't hear them for the chance of someone not liking the main character and ultimatly not liking the game, so it could hurt sales...but I think the main reason is for the chance to ruin the character for the player.
Personaly I feel there should be far more chances and options to text talk in the games, also I would agree with the actual talking part being a not so good idea most RPG's with a voiced protaganist bombed and not in the good way. It only works if the plot is entirely based on the character's fixed personality but then you basicly spread your legs wide for critics and gamers to kick ya in the balls with your full consent, I have yet to see a voiced hero in an rpg that you choose what they say and the players choice is the only thing that gives the hero a right to speak in my opinion. Personaly in Suikoden V it helped to put myself in the shoes of the prince, anything he says EVEN though he is not a suitable heir to the throne will be spread out and effect everything/anything that he does afterwards so you cant be a jerk or no one will back you at all no matter who's your daddy. I saw the prince as cautious of what to say, to whom to say it, when, where and who might hear it. Mostly neutral with a good sense of justice.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Maybe they want us to think we are the hero?

Screaming

"TO BATTLE!"

When he says so?

I don't know, guess not but heh...that would be fun to see someone play like that.

Join my team!
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Siel Avadon wrote:Maybe they want us to think we are the hero?

Screaming

"TO BATTLE!"

When he says so?

I don't know, guess not but heh...that would be fun to see someone play like that.

Join my team!
could be but who the hell does that?! kids MAY do that but if i remember correctly, the games are rated Teen. teenagers< don't do that.

...or not.. anyone???
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

could be but who the hell does that?! kids MAY do that but if i remember correctly, the games are rated Teen. teenagers< don't do that.

...or not.. anyone???
I know that when i was 12 I wouldn't have done that, however Im kind of a serious guy though. Umm my sister definitly would do that at 13. But teenagers would never unless they were being silly.

I do agree with the game trying to make you feel like "you" are the hero, like Zelda does with Link, giving you the feeling that you are controlling the character and that you are them but I dont think the point of Tir speaking in battle to charge was to make you yell it with him, more because he has to say something, I mean imagine being in the war zone and being like "........" and the soldiers are all "Umm sir can we attack now?" "......" "....Sir? Sir can we attack the imperial army yet? They are running at us now" "......" "...Err...Should we just go or...?"
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Leingod

Post by Leingod »

well, teens really dont do that but anyway:the hero should speak and interact with others vocaly only if he has a cool voice, a bad voice can ruin a character, I would rather have nobody talk than have one character with a bad voice, I know that if riou had a bad voice i wouldnt have replayed sII 12 times.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

well, teens really dont do that but anyway:the hero should speak and interact with others vocaly only if he has a cool voice, a bad voice can ruin a character, I would rather have nobody talk than have one character with a bad voice, I know that if riou had a bad voice i wouldnt have replayed sII 12 times.
You make a great point, I would prefer no voices over crappy one's as well. I would prefer to imagine what they sound like in my head, it's much more enjoyable that way.
I know when I heard Jeane's voice in Suikoden Tacitcs it was nothing like I thought it should be. I don't remember if she spoke in Suikoden 5 but I bet it wasn't as I had thought either if she did.
-Chaco
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Dang so they ruined Jeane's voice?! I didn't get far enough into Tactics to see Jeane, well that really sucks because she is like one of the main characters being in every single Suikoden game....
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Dang so they ruined Jeane's voice?! I didn't get far enough into Tactics to see Jeane, well that really sucks because she is like one of the main characters being in every single Suikoden game....
She didn't reallt "Talk" in cutscenes but she said some stuff in battle like chanting and getting hurt by enemy's and to me she sounded liek a teenaged girl younger than myself, I expectedx an older, more refined voice from her.

I feel they should not give ANY character that has EVER been in a previous Suikoden a voice, and give voices to new characters that we have not already created a voice for in our heads.
-Chaco
Mikain Clan King

Chaco wrote: I feel they should not give ANY character that has EVER been in a previous Suikoden a voice, and give voices to new characters that we have not already created a voice for in our heads.
I agree with that, but everything in Tactics reminded me of childish stuff, the graphics made me not take anything very seriously so I probably won't take Jeane's voice that seriously but I'm just confusing myself now....and yeah I always imagined her voice to be an older more mature person, kind of what I thought of Rina.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I agree with that, but everything in Tactics reminded me of childish stuff, the graphics made me not take anything very seriously so I probably won't take Jeane's voice that seriously but I'm just confusing myself now....and yeah I always imagined her voice to be an older more mature person, kind of what I thought of Rina.
Strangely I pictures Rina havign a young voice, NOT a young teenaged voice but a young enough voice for her to be able to sound sudductive, kind of like a 20-23 voice. Jeane I've always pictured with an older more intellegent voice, since I feel her appearance is caused by her rune, she should sound old like she really is. However, I'm sure many will disagree since we all sort of build these voices in our brains over time. Sometimes they even change.

One voice I thought was VERY well done was Chiepoo. It pretty much fit his personality perfectly and I would of given him a similar voice for sure.
-Chaco
Mikain Clan King

Chaco wrote:

One voice I thought was VERY well done was Chiepoo. It pretty much fit his personality perfectly and I would of given him a similar voice for sure.
Yeah...I just always hated that little hunch backed freak....no clue as to why.

But I do agree on your concept of how the voice develops in our brains.
But yeah in my head Rina sounds sudductive and playful but mature at the same time...not to old but what I meant by old was her tone not like a granny or coarse voice.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

i think the silent character works well with suikoden because when you have a main hero that talks and grows, etc, a lot of focus is placed on that character. when he's silent, there's more focus on the supporting cast, which is of course huge here.

personally, the silent hero in the more realistic 3d games has never bothered me as awkward or strange because it's pretty much just what i expected. although i guess i can understand that argument as games get more and more realistic.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

But I do agree on your concept of how the voice develops in our brains.
But yeah in my head Rina sounds sudductive and playful but mature at the same time...not to old but what I meant by old was her tone not like a granny or coarse voice.
Oh then I agree with you she does sound "Old and sudductive" to me as well.
i think the silent character works well with suikoden because when you have a main hero that talks and grows, etc, a lot of focus is placed on that character. when he's silent, there's more focus on the supporting cast, which is of course huge here.
If the hero was silent Nanami and Jowy wouldn't of had all those lines, not to mention Gremio, Cleo, Pahn, Flik, Viktor and whoever else, the only time I like non-silent is if I was making my own game since I'd want to make the character the way I want him/her to be.
-Chaco
FlameGeneralSeed

Post by FlameGeneralSeed »

I like the Lead Heroes to be silent. Cause if they were voiced, they're probably be so by little kids who just sound annoying. [E.g. Naruto's English Dubber.] And that would just irritate me beyond everything.

"I'm gonna win this war, cuz I said so. BELIEVE IT!!"

Nah...I like the strong, silent types.
XD
Time for the Secret Golden Bird Holy Flower Dragon Tooth Glory Punch-u!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

"I'm gonna win this war, cuz I said so. BELIEVE IT!!"
Yeah I would find that annoying to,
Hero: "Hey, I want the true rune BELIEV-"
Heros friend: Dude shut up! Your voice is so annoying!
Hero: ...But
Heros friend: Zip it!

that would be awkward, or even worse

Hero: Join me BELIEVE IT!
Person: No I think I'm cool.
-Chaco