What kind of things would you like to change

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Silverberg

Re: What kind of things would you like to change

Post by Silverberg »

what always bothered me is that there was no unite with Antonio and Lester. It just makes sense. Anyway, talking main characters is definetely the way to go. The Flame Champion talked and you still had options of what to say. I never played a Suikoden game and said, "I'm gonna name the main character after ME so it feels like I'm the one saying stuff". Frankly in a real life situation I would have told the Emperor "I don't wanna . . . don't you pay real soldiers to do work?" and when Kraze asked me if I knew where Rockland was I'd totally say the wrong thing because I was too distracted by his crazy facial hair to pay attention.

By multiple time lines, do you mean the trinity system? Regardless, doing something like that again would be okay with me too. Despite some people hating it, I thought it was pretty cool to see things come together as the characters got closer and closer together in the story.

The only thing I hate is when a character dies and you have to restart because you want all 108 stars. I know it's a staple of the series, but still, hate it.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, the trinity system is what I mean.

I must admit that I usually use a guide as I play through to make sure I get all 108 on my first go. I want to make sure I have all the backstory in order to participate on this site, but I also just don't like getting a depressing ending. I can always speed run through to get different endings on further playthroughs.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I try to play through as honestly as I can the first time through and then pick up the guide and see what I missed. I was 16 when the first Suikoden came out and I remember not paying attention to much of anything (cause I didn't realize how awesome of a game initially) that when I finished and saw all the missing squares during the ending, I was like, ohhhhhhh, now I get it. How I ever found Crowley on my own is beyond me. How many times did it take I wonder before I realized you had to get all 108 BEFORE the last battle in order to revive Gremio, and even then, had no idea that doing such a thing would revive him?

I wish they'd add more old book volumes in future games. I think it's always 12? I hope they're not implying some of these books are rare. Every game has the story of the beginning of the world. Like, say S6 took place after 3. There could be a volume each of every country featured in the game and maybe what they've been up to since they were featured. And it'd be cool if instead of a newspaper, they start doing magazines! Character gossip columns and fashion lol. Oh, and a crossword mini game.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

More old book volumes is definitaly an idea I'd support, as long as they don't just contain lists of rare finds or hammers et.c.
It would also be fun to bring back the theater from SIII and improve on it by re-enacting more stories that we haven't heard of before, while of course still making some hilariously bad plays.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Iku wrote:the reason you have to pay more mp to do healing wind then kindness drop is because the water rune is the healing rune whereas the wind rune is meant to be a mixture/balenced rune. I like the dark cloud idea, like how the inhabitatants of your castle should have preferences where and who they live with, doing it right could affect the wares that the shopkeepers sell and people's war battle proficiency. I wouldn't mind them making the wind rune balenced rather then abit crappy, i mean i never saw the point of equiping to anyone when a water rune worked well on most long ranged characters and a fire/ thunder rune on your mage, i know it was meant to bring those properties together but it didnt do it too well, except for maybe on tactics. speaking of tactics did anyone else really like what they did with the command runes? it made magic swordsmen actually good for something other then a water rune... that might just be me though...
Well, point is, they made the elemental runes play specific roles, such as Healing for Water. That makes everyone think that Water IS a weak element. But we know for sure what Water can do in real life!

I thought Kindness Drops having lower MP than Healing Wind was okay, though. At least they can make Healing Wind heal better than Kindness Drops to obtain the balance, say 100 base HP healed for KD and say 250 base HP healed for HW, plus giving HW the Heal-Over-Time ability, say, 50 HP healed per turn for 5 turns.

Point is, Wind Rune was intended for non-mages in some Suikoden games, not just for the great Wind Master named Luc. I mean, it's for everyone. Sure it doesn't excel in everything, but at least it has a little bit of everything. What would you think if we give all roles to each elemental rune. I mean, heck, can you even think of support spells for Fire and Lightning?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there are plenty of games that use all elements for buffs and debuffs. in Arc Rise Fantasia, Fire's support spells include increasing physical attack and boosting Max HP (which was pretty broken...), while Lightning affected Magic offense and defense.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Not really change anything, but how about making a new Suikoden game based on the events of the Succession Wars and of the First Fire Bringer War? It would be a pleasure to play Barbarossa and the First Flame Champion as the Tenkais.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

ninjaluc79 wrote:Not really change anything, but how about making a new Suikoden game based on the events of the Succession Wars and of the First Fire Bringer War? It would be a pleasure to play Barbarossa and the First Flame Champion as the Tenkais.
I think it would be bring because you already know the more or less exact outcome of these battles. As a Gaidenstory, ok.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I'd love the see the Succession War. Like how Gremio saved young Tir, how Pahn and Cleo fought alongside Teo and, how Ted and Tir met. The Succession War would be the ideal prequel to Suikoden I.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

My friends and I were discussing this, and think it'd be a good idea to turn the Succession War into a game. Though a gaiden type game would be my suggestion. You'd have to do something different with it, as yeah, we already know the outcome. Final Fantasy did a similar thing with Crisis Core. Anyone who played through FF7 would know what became of Zack, but in my opinion, it didn't affect the quality or playability of the game itself. Though, in my opinion, it is a game with many flaws, I think it's a good example of taking something we know the outcome of, and fleshing it out into its own tale, and coming at the gameplay style in a different way too.
I'd like to see something like that with the Succession Wars in the future.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Suikoden I
- Fix Earth / Mother Earth Rune bugs to make them more useful.

This will make players think outside the "offense is best defense" mentality.

@Succession War gaiden game
I think somebody tried to make it, but it was closed down before it even started.

So how would anyone else build up Barbarossa and Teo? We already know Gremio, Pahn and Cleo builds from Suikoden I, so we only need to tweak them a little, like, fix Gremio's STR growth so that it becomes a regular 05 (~140 @ level 60, ~160 @ level 99) instead of 13 / special 06 (~85 @ level 60, ~190 @ level 99)

Say, like this:

Name / STR / SKL / MAG / SPD / PDF / MDF / LUK / HP
Barbarossa / 06 / 05 / 04 / 05 / 07 / 06 / 07 / 05
Teo / 07 / 07 / 02 / 06 / 05 / 04 / 02 / 06

Now, it comes down to whether the Sovereign Rune (Anti-Magic) is spell-based or passive. If it's passive, this allows for Barbarossa to have low MAG and probably MDEF growth. If it's spell-based, then 04 is the lowest MAG growth Barbarossa could have, since if we choose anything lower than that, he would have to unlock the Lv4 spell by beyond level 60, when it usually happens when the hero is around level 50-55.