The next Suikoden.. gotta be harder

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Antimatzist

Re: The next Suikoden.. gotta be harder

Post by Antimatzist »

... but that's exactly it: Suikoden isn't about monster grinding, leveling up to the max and find all the armor you can get. Even if you use only the characters you like(well, they shouldn't be the squirrels, though...), the game is easily solved. Fight some battles in the dungeon, then you should be at the normal level for this place and you should have some money to buy you better equipment/sharpening weapons. I never grinded for the Double-beat Runes, and in my current playthorugh, I gave it to Rikimaru because he is imo one of the coolest characters- but he's not strong.
I level up most of my party equally, so I go into dungeons with weak characters and after that, they are darn good.

It's not like FF ore something where the best armors/weapons are hidden in an area where you have to face monsters equally strong as a boss. That doesn't exist in Suikoden.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

whoa there, you're pushing this to the farthest extreme

nobody said about reaching the lvl cap

i meant grinding for money for those uber expensive lvl 16 weapons

all i'm saying is that i played the game through the story's normal course

(well of course i still try to complete the 108 SoD)

and i find myself to where I am every boss battles

(very) tight positions
BlackKnightYuber

Post by BlackKnightYuber »

I'd like the next game to be at least as hard as Suikoden III. There were a number of boss battles in that game that caused you to think about certain moves before you made them. If it's at least on par with that, I'll be happy.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I have to agree, as much as i hated the strategic battles mechanics in S3, it had the best bosses in my personal opinion. Having to refight a boss is always enjoyable, as it makes you think strategically. But i dont want to see a final fantasy level of difficulty to these games. S3 is a good middleground.
BlackKnightYuber

Post by BlackKnightYuber »

JanusThePaladin wrote:I have to agree, as much as i hated the strategic battles mechanics in S3, it had the best bosses in my personal opinion. Having to refight a boss is always enjoyable, as it makes you think strategically. But i dont want to see a final fantasy level of difficulty to these games. S3 is a good middleground.
Just about any fight against Sarah comes to mind. She was one tough little sorceress, especially at the end in the Sindar Ruins. She was bad enough, but having those griffon monsters flanking her was a real pain in the behind. By the way, I certainly agree with you when it comes to leaving Final Fantasy-esque difficulty out of Suikoden.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

I there should something like a hard mode where you get something like better rare item finds or when you load your data to 7 (if it will be possible) with all 108 characters and the 'Hard' mode done you get more than just the regular stuff...like maybe have a popular rune that you have always wanted but couldn't ever get because you couldn't actually get them in-game....or an alternate story kick off/ending like say it was Suikoden 2....Riou ends up getting Black Sword instead of Bright Shield...
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

I don't think we want shoot hard bosses, I don't know how many times I been pissed at games exageratting the stupid powergaming, Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, Shadow Hearts. Sure sure...not so hard you say. But sometimes It's boring that you have to go grind like a moron just to beat a boss thats overpowered.

It murders the RP to know "Oh shoot, next boss gonna be a progress, I have to bring together the project group"

The old FF's....crappy hell! The bosses would be overly weird.

Having a 108 charachters Is hard to balance. After all. Would you make the game so hard the best fighters and wizard has problems you pretty much murders the idea of bringing bit of more worthless charachters along for the fun or using Jeane and Zerase as Fighters and Zegai as a wizard.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Thats why I would want a Hard mode, so none of us that don't want to do it wouldn't have to....and just get a few extra special things if we ever data transfer again.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Sounds like a good Idea to not make many charachters obselete and useless :D
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

With all the overwhelming bonuses, New Game+ of the next Suiko game is applicable of difficulty-- harder than a normal New Game. I hope Konami does that.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
JanusThePaladin

Ugh. I really dont like the way the Suikodens do a new game +. You only get the equipment and items you dont wear when you beat the game. I for one sell my older equipment to buy better equipment which i lose when i beat the game, i also sell the older stuff for money to up my weapons. This makes it so at the beginning of new game +, i have like 3 runes i shouldnt have, and a bunch of useless equipment.

On a side note, i ended up beating Sarah in s3 after 4 tries and with only Chris remaining awake.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

same same

Chris Left - Sarah

Joker and Ace Left - Yuber

Ted (SIV) left - Giant Tree

still not convinced that the games aren't hard enough
JanusThePaladin

Mio wrote:same same

Chris Left - Sarah

Lol.

I think its still people comparing Suikoden to other RPGs that require level grinding. Maybe some people are still grinding in Suikoden and thus find it easier?
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

JanusThePaladin wrote:
Mio wrote:same same

Chris Left - Sarah

Maybe some people are still grinding in Suikoden and thus find it easier?
well of course they are

esp in SIV (the first game to freely allow to reach teh lvl cap w/o cheats tricks)

those who tried but failed got frustrated and made this thread here

because they realized that all their grinding were for naught, for there are no other stronger enemies

:wink:
Author

Post by Author »

To make it harder, they have to challenge us. Not by some crazy quests or high-level dungeon, but make us learn of the strengths of the SoD so that we will have to use different characters for the places.

The thing is any party can be strong if you have at least two tankers, one healer, and a magician, then really good fighters. It's too easy. In s2, just put in George, Persmerga and other strong characters. Include Luc or Mazus as magician then give someone a good healing Rune (through Riou is useful for that), then beat the game all throughout using the same team. Having bring a useless character like Freed Y is barely a problem. Let him die. I certainly did.

Since there are so many characters we can use, not all of them strong or very different, then Konami should make sure we will have to decide more than stats who to bring.

Example would be extra abilities and skill, like a resistance on something--something character-based. Hunters should also have extra damage to beasts monsters and so on. While there are Runes for this, it's certainly isn't giving variety in the characters unless it's permanent like the True Runes.

That's how the game should be to make it harder. Even better if we end up using all SoD for it.