Who will die in Suikoden VI ? *theory*

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
hell_tanuki

Who will die in Suikoden VI ? *theory*

Post by hell_tanuki »

So, I was searching for some significiances of the 8 number, and I found an interesting list of the Eight Trigrams of the Bagua (八卦) concept. It's interesting to see that they have a significiance for diverses aspects of the life, most notably the family :

1 : Father
2 : Eldest Daughter
3 : Middle Son
4 : Youngest Son
5 : Mother
some more...
6 : Eldest Son
7 : Middle Daughter
8 : Youngest Daughter

This really reminds me of the Suikoden series and their heroes : Tir and his father Teo in Suikoden I, Riou and his oldest sister Nanami in Suikoden II, Lazlo is the youngest son of Lino in Suikoden IV, Freyjadour and his mother Arshtat for Suikoden V... It seems that theses Trigrams are somewhat connected to one of the family member of the hero, and they will die in a major event of the game.
This is still a theory, but I tried thinking about the III starting with this question... Who dies in Suikoden III ?
So far, I can remember of Lulu, Jimba, Luc and Sarah... the best fit I could think of is Luc. Seeing the 5 Elemental True Rune as brothers, Luc could be the middle son but that seems a little too shaky. But then, half of Suikoden III is weird anyway... :roll:

And that's where I'm coming at : Will an eldest son die in Suikoden VI ?
We won't be able to know that without any preview of the characters and/or story of Suikoden VI, but that's what I wanted to say. That's like 80% good for now, and maybe someone will help finding the link for the III, or just shatter completely this theory with something I overlooked :P

As for the Hexagrams, they are 64 but I'll copy/paste the first 8 :

Hexagram 1 is named 乾 (qián), "Force". Other variations include "the creative", "strong action", "the key", and "god". Its inner (lower) trigram is ☰ (乾 qián) force = (天) heaven, and its outer (upper) trigram is the same.

Hexagram 2 is named 坤 (kūn), "Field". Other variations include "the receptive", "acquiescence", and "the flow". Its inner trigram is ☷ (坤 kūn) field = (地) earth, and its outer trigram is identical.

Hexagram 3 is named 屯 (chún), "Sprouting". Other variations include "difficulty at the beginning", "gathering support", and "hoarding". Its inner trigram is ☳ (震 zhèn) shake = (雷) thunder, and its outer trigram is ☵ (坎 kǎn) gorge = (水) water.

Hexagram 4 is named 蒙 (méng), "Enveloping". Other variations include "youthful folly", "the young shoot", and "discovering". Its inner trigram is ☵ (坎 kǎn) gorge = (水) water. Its outer trigram is ☶ (艮 gèn) bound = (山) mountain.

Hexagram 5 is named 需 (xū), "Attending". Other variations include "waiting", "moistened", and "arriving". Its inner trigram is ☰ (乾 qián) force = (天) heaven, and its outer trigram is ☵ (坎 kǎn) gorge = (水) water.

then...

Hexagram 6 is named 訟 (sòng), "Arguing". Other variations include "conflict" and "lawsuit". Its inner trigram is ☵ (坎 kǎn) gorge = (水) water, and its outer trigram is ☰ (乾 qián) force = (天) heaven.

Hexagram 7 is named 師 (shī), "Leading". Other variations include "the army" and "the troops". Its inner trigram is ☵ (坎 kǎn) gorge = (水) water, and its outer trigram is ☷ (坤 kūn) field = (地) earth.

Hexagram 8 is named 比 (bǐ), "Grouping". Other variations include "holding together" and "alliance". Its inner trigram is ☷ (坤 kūn) field = (地) earth, and its outer trigram is ☵ (坎 kǎn) gorge = (水) water.

That seems somewhat accurate with the Suikoden games so far, I searched for 8 because I was talking with a friend and I said I thought that Suikoden would end with the 8th or 9th game because they usually have quite a symbolism.

Now I don't know anything more about that or the Bagua concept, so I just thought I'll share this theory here to start a discussion and have more opinions on it. Thanks for reading :)

I hope I'm posting this in the good section, and sorry for my engrish...
I'm Swiss
Antimatzist

Re: Who will die in Suikoden VI ? *theory*

Post by Antimatzist »

Ehm, don't you think it's all a bit too.. constructed?

I mean, neither Lazlo nor Nanami really die in the end. And as you've already mentioned, in S III there is no middle brother who dies.

So, what you've said is true twice, half-true twice and not true only once. Doesn't sound too convincing to me!?
hell_tanuki

Post by hell_tanuki »

Oh well, I know it's not perfectly connected for now... but the point is that the family member pointed by this concept can die (or maybe not with the 108 stars). It's also the closest family member that the hero can lose and an important story event everytime (even when they don't die), Tir's father, Riou's sister, Lazlo himself (since he doesn't know any relatives) and Freyjadour's mother.

Seeing the Flame Champion as the true hero, Jimba could somewhat fit in "the middle son" between the Flame Champion and Geddoe, but that would be another stretch for now I guess :?

I know that's far from a complete theory yet, but I'd like some idea or help if someone think that could lead somewhere. But I'm posting this to collect some opinions too, so feel free to say what you think about it :)
I'm Swiss
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

Actually with lulu and jimba there is something.

With lulu, lulu was the yougest son of luce, and jimba was thought as the eldest son of luce ( even though this isn't actually true considering jimba's like 100 years old)

also to chris, jimba was the father. so there are connections with what you said, you just need to change perspectives.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Silver Mouri

Post by Silver Mouri »

Now see, when I think of "Father" for I, I don't think of Teo so much as I think of Gremio. Probably because Gremio himself says he think of Tir as a son, and I got the opinion he basically raised Tir himself, not his actual Dad.

But that's only my opinion on the matter. Going by the theory for II, I'm guessing it doesn't have to be blood, as I don't remember Riou and Nanami being blood related.