HBO or an epic movie for Suikoden 1 and 2?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Ajisuke

Re: HBO or an epic movie for Suikoden 1 and 2?

Post by Ajisuke »

Tsharr wrote:No. Totally no. People from this forum should not make the movie. Because all we will see will be Ted, McDohl, Flik, Viktor, Luca and the rest of the fan characters get all screen time. And somehow all in the same movie.

I think a movie would be a bad, bad idea. You couldn't do it justice and really, the conversions from video games to movies suck royally 9 out of 10 times.

If they really wanted to try to do something, take a single game and make it into a one season deal anime with each episode being an hour long. Otherwise, don't touch it at all and leave it be.
Frankly people like this disappoint me, and while Halo may turn out to be a bad movie its always worth a try, but its up to the fans to have faith. Its not like a movie has ever stopped video games from being made or caused a game to be terrible just because the movie was. I still enjoy resident evil, they don't seem to have gone bad with the games even though the last movie sucked and so will the next one, so stop whining and let a bird leave the nest.

Look at it this way, it has a 50/50 chance of either being a horrible movie or something truly epic and amazing that you are so glad that some producer tripped over this forum, played the game, read the book(s) and said, "wow! I have never been so moved by a game before! this story is truly amazing and I can't wait to make this into a movie!" ...so it won't sound quite like that, but you get the point.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

1234569and10 wrote:Uh, maybe if it were animated or something? Suikoden as a live-action movie would just make me groan. From what I have seen, it's very difficult to get anime/fantasy aestetics to translate to the real world. A live action movie would just be a bunch of goofy looking cosplayers running through a clusterscrew of lousy special effects. I am in no way optimistic...xP
Frankly if it were an anime it would never reach the audience potential nor would it get the respect it deserves. I mean look at Princess Mononoke. Great story, had a good message to tell people, and was hugely ignored by more than half the world even though it had an all star class, an anime would just not do Suikoden justice but it would be better than nothing at least if the write animators did it ( I don't want it looking like some japanimation crap aimed at children).
Freedom! Forever!
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Seriously, if you want a movie/series that would only contain the story of your beloved Suiko I and II, then why not just play the game?

let your imagination run wild instead of getting fed by a director's point of perspective about the game

now if there's still gonna be a movie under the name of Suikoden, i'd figure it would be tell something beyond what the game has shared

hmm...

Barbarossa's Succession Wars might be a good place to start

i would like the movie to contain some revalations about Suikoden, kinda like how Resident Evil revealed the outbreak of the virus
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

One thing for sure, we don't want people who only wants to make money to touch Suikoden. If it ever going to be made into a movie, we want it to be:
a) As epic as possible
b) Aesthetically correct. This makes an anime series make more sense. Come on, people will go "No, he doesn't look like [insert suikoden characters here]" but an anime version will make everyone look right (since the original artworks are in anime style as well). Hell, Fumi Ishikawa (the chara designers for suiko 2 & 3 if I'm not mistaken) and Suiko V's chara designer should take part in the making of the anime, they'd do great artworks.
c) War scenes to be as realistic (Suikoden-like ofcourse, by realisctic I didn't mean no magic or beasts but gory and stuff like a war should be) and as epic as possible. If there's Luca then we demand villagers being slaughtered. To hell with ratings, because that's what Luca likes. If there's fire spears, ofcourse we want to see people being burned...

And I agree with Mio, we want to see things that are not in the game. Succession war, Higheast Rebellion, maybe even a movie dedicated to Hikusaak's conquest...

Oh, and if it has to be live action, then we want a Suikoden live-action series that is atleast as good as Korea's Tae Wang Sha Shin Gi (The Legend: First King's Four Gods) which is both epic and aesthetic (ecept for the bad last episodes).
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

Ajisuke wrote:
Tsharr wrote:No. Totally no. People from this forum should not make the movie. Because all we will see will be Ted, McDohl, Flik, Viktor, Luca and the rest of the fan characters get all screen time. And somehow all in the same movie.

I think a movie would be a bad, bad idea. You couldn't do it justice and really, the conversions from video games to movies suck royally 9 out of 10 times.

If they really wanted to try to do something, take a single game and make it into a one season deal anime with each episode being an hour long. Otherwise, don't touch it at all and leave it be.
Frankly people like this disappoint me, and while Halo may turn out to be a bad movie its always worth a try, but its up to the fans to have faith. Its not like a movie has ever stopped video games from being made or caused a game to be terrible just because the movie was. I still enjoy resident evil, they don't seem to have gone bad with the games even though the last movie sucked and so will the next one, so stop whining and let a bird leave the nest.

Look at it this way, it has a 50/50 chance of either being a horrible movie or something truly epic and amazing that you are so glad that some producer tripped over this forum, played the game, read the book(s) and said, "wow! I have never been so moved by a game before! this story is truly amazing and I can't wait to make this into a movie!" ...so it won't sound quite like that, but you get the point.
People having faith that a movie will be good does not make a good movie. Plain and simple.

But, to a more general point, the reason that video games are made into movies is the same reason behind movie based cereals, official video game street wear and board games based off of television shows: Because Hollywood realizes that fans will buy it, no matter how crappy it is. I do it too, just like everyone else. There's a reason why I have a fairly crappy DVD of Xenosaga made into an anime, and it isn't because I thought it would be good. It is because I liked the game. This being as it is, it isn't a random chance (50-50) that a video game movie, or any movie, will be good or bad. Rather, I prefer to base this on evidence. With only a few exceptions, almost every "franchise" movie based off of a video game has led to just that much more of a removal of my pre-frontal cortex. That alone is enough for me to say "hell no" to any game to movie transition, especially for a series that I really enjoy. The last thing I want is for someone to start taking a crappy movie as canon simply because it had the "Suikoden" name etched onto it, and having to live with that destruction of something pure in my world paradigm would, quite frankly, suck.

A second point: No producer is going to play a game and talk about how moved they were. A producer is going to hear about some game that all the kiddies are buying and will likely say, "I wonder if they will pay 7.50 to see something like this in theatres..."

The only thing a movie can add that the game won't would be nice like montage scenes, voices and real people. Two of those you can get in the game if they would so choose to include them, and real people aren't need to tell an imaginary story.

Regardless, my bottom line remains the same: A transition into a movie, especially a live action one, would be horrible. I am even a bit put off by the idea of making it into an anime, for the same reason why I was so disappointed by the Xenosaga anime: Just enough twisting of the storyline to fit it into nice episodes, but not enough twisting to separate it into its own story. The only thing that would make fans happy would be pouring such an exuberant amount of cash into each episode that no studio in their right mind would pump out that amount of capital, as they would never get a suitable return.

Just leave it be and be thankful that we have a game that has probably given us more amusement than most movies, and with a lot better replay value.
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Paler than Moon wrote:One thing for sure, we don't want people who only wants to make money to touch Suikoden. If it ever going to be made into a movie, we want it to be:
a) As epic as possible
b) Aesthetically correct. This makes an anime series make more sense. Come on, people will go "No, he doesn't look like [insert suikoden characters here]" but an anime version will make everyone look right (since the original artworks are in anime style as well). Hell, Fumi Ishikawa (the chara designers for suiko 2 & 3 if I'm not mistaken) and Suiko V's chara designer should take part in the making of the anime, they'd do great artworks.
c) War scenes to be as realistic (Suikoden-like ofcourse, by realisctic I didn't mean no magic or beasts but gory and stuff like a war should be) and as epic as possible. If there's Luca then we demand villagers being slaughtered. To hell with ratings, because that's what Luca likes. If there's fire spears, ofcourse we want to see people being burned...

And I agree with Mio, we want to see things that are not in the game. Succession war, Higheast Rebellion, maybe even a movie dedicated to Hikusaak's conquest...

Oh, and if it has to be live action, then we want a Suikoden live-action series that is atleast as good as Korea's Tae Wang Sha Shin Gi (The Legend: First King's Four Gods) which is both epic and aesthetic (ecept for the bad last episodes).
Basically for the live action, I would want it to work similar to that of Band of Brothers which had a wide character casting, surely not as many as would be featured in Suikoden but it was a short series and you get the idea.

Now, I am not completely against an animated series but again it would not get that rave world wide review it deserves, i would want the story of Suikoden to start with number 2 since the series could be very politically charged and spark controversy. I think the best way to go with this is with HBO, I think if it went the way of 007 I think fans might be disappointed in where it leaves off and the wait in between films.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Tsharr wrote:
Ajisuke wrote:

People having faith that a movie will be good does not make a good movie. Plain and simple.

But, to a more general point, the reason that video games are made into movies is the same reason behind movie based cereals, official video game street wear and board games based off of television shows: Because Hollywood realizes that fans will buy it, no matter how crappy it is. I do it too, just like everyone else. There's a reason why I have a fairly crappy DVD of Xenosaga made into an anime, and it isn't because I thought it would be good. It is because I liked the game. This being as it is, it isn't a random chance (50-50) that a video game movie, or any movie, will be good or bad. Rather, I prefer to base this on evidence. With only a few exceptions, almost every "franchise" movie based off of a video game has led to just that much more of a removal of my pre-frontal cortex. That alone is enough for me to say "hell no" to any game to movie transition, especially for a series that I really enjoy. The last thing I want is for someone to start taking a crappy movie as canon simply because it had the "Suikoden" name etched onto it, and having to live with that destruction of something pure in my world paradigm would, quite frankly, suck.

A second point: No producer is going to play a game and talk about how moved they were. A producer is going to hear about some game that all the kiddies are buying and will likely say, "I wonder if they will pay 7.50 to see something like this in theatres..."

The only thing a movie can add that the game won't would be nice like montage scenes, voices and real people. Two of those you can get in the game if they would so choose to include them, and real people aren't need to tell an imaginary story.

Regardless, my bottom line remains the same: A transition into a movie, especially a live action one, would be horrible. I am even a bit put off by the idea of making it into an anime, for the same reason why I was so disappointed by the Xenosaga anime: Just enough twisting of the storyline to fit it into nice episodes, but not enough twisting to separate it into its own story. The only thing that would make fans happy would be pouring such an exuberant amount of cash into each episode that no studio in their right mind would pump out that amount of capital, as they would never get a suitable return.

Just leave it be and be thankful that we have a game that has probably given us more amusement than most movies, and with a lot better replay value.
I think we both share equal points now and that its simply up to our own selfish visions.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Mio wrote:Seriously, if you want a movie/series that would only contain the story of your beloved Suiko I and II, then why not just play the game?

let your imagination run wild instead of getting fed by a director's point of perspective about the game

now if there's still gonna be a movie under the name of Suikoden, i'd figure it would be tell something beyond what the game has shared

hmm...

i would like the movie to contain some revalations about Suikoden, kinda like how Resident Evil revealed the outbreak of the virus
I own and have beat every Suikoden that has been released in the U.S. (other than Tactics). What Suikoden 1 and 2 lack is some voice acting and that is about it, so if all I wanted were a better experience playing Suikoden 1 and 2 because of their outdated look then I would simply ask, "When will they remake Suikoden 1 and 2?" but what I really desire is to simply show off the brilliance of this game, I mean people are obsessed with the Final Fantasy series and FF7 and its like not even that good and Advent Children was horrible, almost the whole FF series has no connection to another and even the movie Spirits Within (even though it was good) had no connection to other than the whole Gaia thing. I guess I am just obsessed with Suikoden 1 and 2, and think it should be recognized and put on a pedestal higher than where it is at.
Freedom! Forever!
Paler than Moon

Ofcourse, a remake of Suikoden I and II would be way, way better than a movie of them. If Suikoden V rocks, then a remake of I and II with a graphic like V and good voice acting will definitely send me to heaven.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Not to create any arguement but I rather not hear voices. I would also like to see a remake of GS1 and 2 but the voices I think it should stay out. I believe that when most of us read what the characters are saying, they have a specific type of voice (in on perspective). Having someone playing their voice going to kill the game for some of us who already have this perspective of their voice, if you do know what I mean. Secondly, I rather read it than listening to it anyways. Sometimes the voice doesn't fit in right. And you will be reading post saying "Do you think there is something wrong with Viktor's voice? Yea, he sounds like a big sissy" etc. I hope I made my point clear
Nick Bruiser
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Ajisuke wrote:
Mio wrote:Seriously, if you want a movie/series that would only contain the story of your beloved Suiko I and II, then why not just play the game?

hmm...

I own and have beat every Suikoden that has been released in the U.S. (other than Tactics). What Suikoden 1 and 2 lack is some voice acting and that is about it, so if all I wanted were a better experience playing Suikoden 1 and 2 because of their outdated look then I would simply ask, "When will they remake Suikoden 1 and 2?" but what I really desire is to simply show off the brilliance of this game, I mean people are obsessed with the Final Fantasy series and FF7 and its like not even that good and Advent Children was horrible, almost the whole FF series has no connection to another and even the movie Spirits Within (even though it was good) had no connection to other than the whole Gaia thing. I guess I am just obsessed with Suikoden 1 and 2, and think it should be recognized and put on a pedestal higher than where it is at.
i think you should learn to respect other people who admired and even worship the FF Series (and all its other extensions)

Final Fantasy will be Final Fantasy and Suikoden will be Suikoden

they can only be compared to the extent of them being both an RPG game

If you think FF is getting more recognition than it deserved, let the numbers speak for themselves

now with this "showing off" and "pedestal" thing

didn't you liked Suikoden? i liked it

its on the highest attainable pedestal in my rankings

and i dont think that having others opinion have a say on whats on my rankings

other people saying Suikoden sucks doesnt affect my opinion of Suikoden (vice versa)

The movie will be a standalone, in itself it will represent only itself

sure it has the name Suikoden etched on it (i quoted that)

but whether it will be a flop or not will only make Suikoden THE MOVIE sucks

no changes on the other parts of te Suikoden Series

i repeat, if you want the raw brilliance of the game, play it or share it

turning it into a movie will not shine light to the already glowing Suikoden
Paler than Moon

Nemesis wrote:Not to create any arguement but I rather not hear voices. I would also like to see a remake of GS1 and 2 but the voices I think it should stay out. I believe that when most of us read what the characters are saying, they have a specific type of voice (in on perspective). Having someone playing their voice going to kill the game for some of us who already have this perspective of their voice, if you do know what I mean. Secondly, I rather read it than listening to it anyways. Sometimes the voice doesn't fit in right. And you will be reading post saying "Do you think there is something wrong with Viktor's voice? Yea, he sounds like a big sissy" etc. I hope I made my point clear
Well, I obviously don't want any English VA, I want Japanese VA...
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Nemesis wrote:Not to create any arguement but I rather not hear voices. I would also like to see a remake of GS1 and 2 but the voices I think it should stay out. I believe that when most of us read what the characters are saying, they have a specific type of voice (in on perspective). Having someone playing their voice going to kill the game for some of us who already have this perspective of their voice, if you do know what I mean. Secondly, I rather read it than listening to it anyways. Sometimes the voice doesn't fit in right. And you will be reading post saying "Do you think there is something wrong with Viktor's voice? Yea, he sounds like a big sissy" etc. I hope I made my point clear
I somewhat agree with this statement but must disagree, Suikoden IV and V voice overs were spot on! I mean it was fantastic finally hearing what the characters would sound like! Would anyone care to disagree, I mean Georg sounds just like I thought he would (I mention him because of connections to 2 everyone else was also spot on).
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Mio wrote:
Ajisuke wrote:

hmm...

i think you should learn to respect other people who admired and even worship the FF Series (and all its other extensions)

Final Fantasy will be Final Fantasy and Suikoden will be Suikoden

they can only be compared to the extent of them being both an RPG game

If you think FF is getting more recognition than it deserved, let the numbers speak for themselves

now with this "showing off" and "pedestal" thing

didn't you liked Suikoden? i liked it

its on the highest attainable pedestal in my rankings

and i dont think that having others opinion have a say on whats on my rankings

other people saying Suikoden sucks doesnt affect my opinion of Suikoden (vice versa)

The movie will be a standalone, in itself it will represent only itself

sure it has the name Suikoden etched on it (i quoted that)

but whether it will be a flop or not will only make Suikoden THE MOVIE sucks

no changes on the other parts of te Suikoden Series

i repeat, if you want the raw brilliance of the game, play it or share it

turning it into a movie will not shine light to the already glowing Suikoden
I didn't mean to sound like I was saying FF sucks I mean I played and like the older ones, its just that it gets more hype than Suikoden in the states, but I get and agree with your point.
And the whole movie thing, see thats what I was trying to convey to a couple of people. Whether or not the movie sucks it should be made, its not going to have any affect on the game just like any other series of games that have come out i.e. street fighter, mortal combat, tomb raider (well sorta), resident evil, etc.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Well, I obviously don't want any English VA, I want Japanese VA...[/quote]

Subtitles please.
Freedom! Forever!