HBO or an epic movie for Suikoden 1 and 2?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Ajisuke

HBO or an epic movie for Suikoden 1 and 2?

Post by Ajisuke »

When is a director going to get a hold of this and see what a great potential epic this would be!? I mean if Peter Jackson got ahold of this it would be bigger than LOTR! I mean Suikoden 2 should definately be the first to come out and then make Suikoden 1 as a prelude since Suikoden 2's story events really have the potential of reflecting the modern society and crisis of this current day and age. I mean I cannot be the only one who thinks so.
Freedom! Forever!
Mushra

Re: HBO or an epic movie for Suikoden 1 and 2?

Post by Mushra »

Peter Jackson wouldn't do it...He already got his schedule filled with the creation of the two "The Hobbit" movies. After New Line fusioned with Warner Bros and Robert Shaye got kicked out of the CEO, the sue that he held transfered from the New Line to Robert Shaye alone, and then he can finally work together with New Line/ Warner Bros to create the movies, but unfortunatelly he will be not the director, even so he will have a major role in the creation (Script writer and a lot of other stuffs) So...He can't make a Suikoden movie. Maybe we should speak with another fanatic of this stuff, like George Lucas or Steven Spielberg, they would listen i believe
And now, a little tribute to Kyle x)

" . . . You're kidding me. You DIDN'T look?! WHY THE HELL NOT?! That
was a once in a lifetime opportunity! I can't believe you passed that up!
Damn! I gotta say, you just let down every man in Falena. . ."
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Hmm.. I think they already have this post. Like I said before, how do you think this movie will become successful? Most games that even became a movie sucks! Secondly, 108 Stars are not going to be remembered in a single day. How do they plan to put all 108 actors in a film? Probalby some of them never actually talked for the whole film but instead are nodding their heads on the bakcground.
Nick Bruiser
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

In theory the premise of the Suikoden series would make for a great series of films, however the casting of 108 Stars of Destiny would be a huge (but definitely not impossible task). However as long as certain main characters don't overshadow the others too much it could work out great. Its just I wouldn't like to see anything less than perfect, X-Men 3 is an example of how character assassination can be brutal in films. Angel went from being a great character in the comics to a guy with few lines and a flashback about self-harming... hardly epic stuff.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

It would be a delicate movie to make.
We who love Suikoden can understand how each character feels when we play the whole story through.
It may be Barborosa or just Chandler.
Point is that it could be very hard to portray a character as what we see here.
Bad acting or the game may be portrayed wrong then how the director may see it.
The feelings that a character feels in the game may be portrayed wrong.

Then again it could turn out great.
I guess the future will tell.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Remembering the 108 stars would tough to put into a movie. I think an epic director such as:Jackson, Lucas, Spielberg. should make a general movie about suikoden. Maybe a war between Falena and Armes combine to take on the City State and the Toran Republic. They would have to generalize the games characters using I would say the most popular, or most appealing. Just a few (not including heroes): Georg, Flik, Viktor, Belcoot, Jeane, Viki.

Or

Make a movie of suikoden 3 and have Tarentino do it since the game was based on one of his unique styles of portraying films thorugh POV. Geddoe played by Johnny Depp. hahaha
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

Nah, Suikoden 1 and 2 were already good games, making movies from them would ruin their name. Unless the movies are made by hardcore suikoden fans who totally understand the games. I mean, look at what Konami did before, the ruined Suikoden 3 a bit and Suikoden IV is somehow disappointing. And this was done by the very company who made our beloved Suikoden 1 & 2.

So, if there're going to be Suikoden movies, Murayama should be the one who make it, or people from this forum...LOL.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

No. Totally no. People from this forum should not make the movie. Because all we will see will be Ted, McDohl, Flik, Viktor, Luca and the rest of the fan characters get all screen time. And somehow all in the same movie.

I think a movie would be a bad, bad idea. You couldn't do it justice and really, the conversions from video games to movies suck royally 9 out of 10 times.

If they really wanted to try to do something, take a single game and make it into a one season deal anime with each episode being an hour long. Otherwise, don't touch it at all and leave it be.
1234569and10

Post by 1234569and10 »

Uh, maybe if it were animated or something? Suikoden as a live-action movie would just make me groan. From what I have seen, it's very difficult to get anime/fantasy aestetics to translate to the real world. A live action movie would just be a bunch of goofy looking cosplayers running through a clusterscrew of lousy special effects. I am in no way optimistic...xP
No, Jowy, I do not want your stupid carrots.
Quing

Post by Quing »

A couple of points. First, I've always thought that with Suikoden being as epic as it is, that it would do better with an anime series. I think that could fit the general aesthetic well. Second, considering how Peter Jackson screwed up The Lord of the Rings, I'm pretty sure I don't want him anywhere near Suikoden.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The only movie I can imagine is something like: "Jeane- A Runemaster's pleasure". All we see in this movie is half-naked Jeane playing around with.. anything, I don't care. Now THIS would draw attention :D:D:D:D

But I don't think that Suikoden can be easily formed into a movie.

And about the director's.. Peter Jackson would only emphasize the Big Army Battles(Helm's Klamm, anyone?) and George Lucas would screw the hole thing up by creating a ridiculous creature with no sense(Jarr Jar Bings or what was his name? Hm, but I guess we have enough of these characters alreasy... Sgt Jordi or Lulu.)
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Mushra wrote:Peter Jackson wouldn't do it...He already got his schedule filled with the creation of the two "The Hobbit" movies. After New Line fusioned with Warner Bros and Robert Shaye got kicked out of the CEO, the sue that he held transfered from the New Line to Robert Shaye alone, and then he can finally work together with New Line/ Warner Bros to create the movies, but unfortunatelly he will be not the director, even so he will have a major role in the creation (Script writer and a lot of other stuffs) So...He can't make a Suikoden movie. Maybe we should speak with another fanatic of this stuff, like George Lucas or Steven Spielberg, they would listen i believe
Seeing what Lucas did to Star Wars makes me worry that he'd do the same to this, I was leaning in the direction of Spielberg though. For some reason my mind is blank on movie producers right now.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Nemesis wrote:Hmm.. I think they already have this post. Like I said before, how do you think this movie will become successful? Most games that even became a movie sucks! Secondly, 108 Stars are not going to be remembered in a single day. How do they plan to put all 108 actors in a film? Probalby some of them never actually talked for the whole film but instead are nodding their heads on the bakcground.
The aim isn't to make a cheap video game movie, I mean Suikoden was a book before it was a game. The answer to the 108 stars of destiny would be in the greed of Hollywood. Frankly I see the films as being hugely successful, and would work like Star wars in the sense that every movie would end at, around, or after significant event like the fall of Muse or the Capture of North Window. The series could be as long as the James Bond series and each would be as epic as LOTR with the incorporation of some massive fights, bouts with monstrous beasts signature beasts of Suikoden, and great short adventures.

Now, if the series where truly just to epic for the big screen, then why not HBO? With hour long episodes the series would be huge and all would be included! Of course the series could center around characters whom are most present from the game and their interactions with other characters they meet along the way, they could even make it so each character in has a chance to play multiple significant roles in the story like they do in the game or more so than those characters you simply find to recruit, an easy example would be the octopus (I can't remember the name sorry) which could make up a whole episode given the right creative talents at the helm.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Aculias wrote:It would be a delicate movie to make.
We who love Suikoden can understand how each character feels when we play the whole story through.
It may be Barborosa or just Chandler.
Point is that it could be very hard to portray a character as what we see here.
Bad acting or the game may be portrayed wrong then how the director may see it.
The feelings that a character feels in the game may be portrayed wrong.

Then again it could turn out great.
I guess the future will tell.
Thats why you have to be careful in selecting what characters you want to center around. For example Hai Yu is a character that cannot be overlooked as even though he doesn't decide the future of battles, he is a signature character, but characters like, the kid who listens to sounds can be some a but overlooked, maybe just someone the hero finds along the way and a little added story line can be fitted into there to make the addition of this character more interesting and then let him fade since hes not so much of a signature character and not very interesting.
Freedom! Forever!
Ajisuke

Post by Ajisuke »

Belcoot4 wrote:Remembering the 108 stars would tough to put into a movie. I think an epic director such as:Jackson, Lucas, Spielberg. should make a general movie about suikoden. Maybe a war between Falena and Armes combine to take on the City State and the Toran Republic. They would have to generalize the games characters using I would say the most popular, or most appealing. Just a few (not including heroes): Georg, Flik, Viktor, Belcoot, Jeane, Viki.

Or

Make a movie of suikoden 3 and have Tarentino do it since the game was based on one of his unique styles of portraying films thorugh POV. Geddoe played by Johnny Depp. hahaha
After the success of 1 and 2 the rest of the series of course would have to be produced and 3 in not one to be over looked, while the game sucked, the story can be very good and very appealing (an evil wizard is trying to destroy the world for reasons of his own selfishness and a boy, a knight, and some rough group of characters to whom everyone can find something to relate to, are going to stop him, the audience is going to be totally sucked in! Plus the drama of love and relationships especially that of the two wizards, which one loves the other no matter what) its gold people and its the same for every Suikoden story that was ever made, and thats why I cried during Suikoden 2, a game made me that attached to the characters imagine what a movie would do!? Frankly if it were made into a film, I am pretty sure that even though I knew that everything would turn out okay I would still cry.
Freedom! Forever!