Simdate Minigame

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
EternalOnslaught

Re: Simdate Minigame

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Siel Avadon wrote:
Whats Thousand Arms?
It was an RPG on the PS1 that sported a dating sim as well.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

EternalOnslaught wrote:
Siel Avadon wrote:
Whats Thousand Arms?
It was an RPG on the PS1 that sported a dating sim as well.
Dating just sounds weird, Cook off's was a bit out of the place! How out of the place won't dating be? Cook off's where awesome although mind you.

IF there would be a mad dating game It would have to be of other charachters like...

"Find the date that fits for Kyle" Game.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Siel Avadon wrote:Okay, sure Oppenheimer

And like Kagiya says, I dont think they would care much to...date? Dating Is a bit....ehh to modern. I don't like the idea of "created" love.

Suikoden V, I could not imagine The prince dating...when It's clear that him and Lyon grown fond of each others. That sort of "real" love Is what Is Suikoden and not some "fake" dating :P
date, courtship
tomayto, tomahto

they just mean the same thing to me

and might i remind you that the Suikoden V was not built around simdating

mayhaps thats why its impossible for you to imagine such a scenario ehmm??

I myself would like for Luserina and the Prince to hook up

Ar Tonelico had much of the same concept (like Thousand Arms)

and i don't think those moments of deep intimacy appeared "fake"

honey don't knock it until you've tried it
BlinkingMirror

Post by BlinkingMirror »

I like the mini-game date idea. It adds spice and variety. And, if it's in a mini-game like form. People that don't like it can ignore it.

I like romance in games. But, sometimes it feels forced if it's written into the script. And, often the characters being pushed into a romance spark lots of emotion from players pro and con. If done well it is a huge plus. Helps prevent games from becoming too dry. But, again it can feel rather forced and too "linear" if done poorly.

Anyways, it doesn't matter too much to me if Suikoden ever puts something like this in or not. Or if they ever do something like Tales series or Star Ocean series has done. But, if they do I think it would be fun.

Though, with 108 stars and how many potential couples there are. Most likely it would be done only in an optional mini-game form.

Oh, I had an idea...

Maybe, they could make a dating mini-game. Similar to the theater mini-game from SIII. In which, the date is scripted but changes whomever you put in the date. It would result more in humour than romance though. Since, you can consider all the hilarious possiblity. :)
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

BlinkingMirror wrote:Oh, I had an idea...

Maybe, they could make a dating mini-game. Similar to the theater mini-game from SIII. In which, the date is scripted but changes whomever you put in the date. It would result more in humour than romance though. Since, you can consider all the hilarious possiblity. :)
i think that was what the first suggestion was dood (doy -_-)

a "minigame" as the title suggested

where you plug in characters and simulate a date experience

as said, pretty similar to Nadir's theatre
BlinkingMirror

Post by BlinkingMirror »

Mio wrote: i think that was what the first suggestion was dood (doy -_-)
a "minigame" as the title suggested where you plug in characters and simulate a date experience as said, pretty similar to Nadir's theatre
Sorry, I missed that message when I read the topic. I skimmed over some of the messages. I appologize to the poster, BlackKnightYuber.

Anyways, the OP mentioned Persona 3. I like the way Persona 3 does it. When it came to gradually building a relationship with a character like say Mitsuru. I liked the optional and sometimes romantic scenes that happened during the flow of the normal gameplay. In fact those scenes not only built up relationships in P3 but also strengthened the particular Personas.

I also remember there being that dating part in FFVII. That one had some interesting dynamics. Especially, if one wanted to get a date with Yuffie. :)

But, there's 108 stars. I think it would be quite time consuming and complicated to have that type of dating in Suikoden game. Think of how many + and - points you would have put into the game. And, also trying to get a date with one particular character would be very difficult.

People often complained how difficult it was when trying to get a particular character pair ending. Like, with the Star Ocean series and also Tales of Symphonia. And, that is with a lot less characters.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

y'know, there are remedies to your proposed dilemmas

1. 108 SoD is a bit too much, so why not narrow down the list of candidates to potentially interesting characters only (don't expect to include married, kids, and extremely senior citizens like Raja)

2. Suikoden is quite big on its minigames so why not follow the trend of Suikoden minigames instead of adapting another game's concept?

3.about the point system, why not invoke a Q&A portion in the simdate? correct answers add points, just like in the cooking duels in SII?

4. also restricting the number of times you can participate in the simdate is also a good idea, similar to cooking duels again. this way its crucial to pick the one you desire the most, and build that relationship or cram multiple partners in such limited time (for players)

did i cover it all?
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

I've played Dating Sims, I don't like them. ;p They are pretty unrealistic and makes women out to be a lot more simple than they are (and use stereotype characters). I've also played P3, some of the early convo's were fine, but that later ones often became somewhat awkward and unnatural.

There are couple factors in Suikoden that make it difficult for a dating sim sidegame to occur.

1. If the main character is used: Despite having a limited personality development, these guys are busy as heck and do not have time to court women. Plus most of them are not the type to go spreading their affections around.
2. Female characters: A lot of females would not be interested (of course that depends on the male too). A number have romantic attachments already, they aren't the type that dates or are not human (Zerase).

Really, I think a dating sim could only work on a humor basis. Romance is just not likely with most of the females (think Lorelai, viki, zerase, isabel), though you may be able to get them to go on a "date", they would just not be normal dates. In fact that would be better than trying to force a romance out. Imagine Kyle trying to get a little alone time with say Lorelai by making up a bs story about sindar, or perhaps a very confused date with viki. It's more within the Suikoden's nature. Failed dates by the lady's man character. Hmm, I can see Mathias dumping Kyle into the Lake right now.

I would not like to see any of that "buy her the right gift", "Choose the right phrase", "Chose the correct site" stuff. It's just a very shallow view of relationships. You can choose all the right words when dating, it doesn't mean that there is chemistry.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

opinions belongs to you

as to your proposed problems

1. then how do you suppose Riou had the time to perform those cook-offs in SII? all other minigames in Suikoden consumes time, so one cannot argue with time limitations

2. i already suggested this on the post above yours, narrowing participants is favored as it requires less work and allows to focus on the remnants
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

they aren't the type that dates or are not human (Zerase).
It would be funny to see Zerase in a dating sim LOL.

I dunno, the idea is good but at the same time has Suikoden ever really been about that kind of stuff? :|
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

these simdates will be categorized under minigames

Suikoden's been quite about minigames correct?

also, before SIII could you ever say that Suikoden's been about theaters?
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Uhh..Is S3's theatre allowing all the 108 charcters to join the plays???
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Uhh..Is S3's theatre allowing all the 108 charcters to join the plays???
Luc, Sarah and Yuber cant.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Runemaster wrote:Uhh..Is S3's theatre allowing all the 108 charcters to join the plays???
this is getting way out of hand

i shall quote myself
2. i already suggested this on the post above yours, narrowing participants is favored as it requires less work and allows to focus on the remnants
1. 108 SoD is a bit too much, so why not narrow down the list of candidates to potentially interesting characters only (don't expect to include married, kids, and extremely senior citizens like Raja)
the simdate does not implicate the use of the entire 108 SoD WHICH is a good thing since the quality of the game will be more CONDENSED to the remaining few characters

i swear if you make me repeat myself for the fourth time...
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

the simdate does not implicate the use of the entire 108 SoD WHICH is a good thing since the quality of the game will be more CONDENSED to the remaining few characters

i swear if you make me repeat myself for the fourth time...[/quote]

This may be your view, it may be ours too, doesn't mean we can't reinstate/enforce it or simply put down whatever view we have on it.

I've never really cared for the choosing thing in Suikoden. Suikoden V did it better than the previous games and though it was fun to see Lym get really angry, I kinda prefer for characters to develop themselves. I feel like making those choices for them kinda takes away from the character. So needless to say if it is done as the typical datingsim is done, I would object. As romance can have considerable effect as character development. Of course if it was more like bath scenes, I wouldn't object or maybe if the character is one of those who goes after anyone of the opposite sex.

That's it, I'm think I'm done with my opposing.