If the next Suikoden were PS3-bound (Save File Discussion)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
LanceHeart

If the next Suikoden were PS3-bound (Save File Discussion)

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering the PS3 can handle save files from PS1 and PS2 games, it wouldn't be a big stretch to imagine that loading save data from pretty much all main-series games (and Suikoden Tactics) would be possible. Thing is, what would be carried over?

While I wouldn't want something like having every single SoD and good guy show up in S6, finally having a game that at the very least doesn't screw up names (Tir) would be interesting. With so many games to take data from, I'm sure they could work out references to all of them that don't simply consist of reading about them in a book or a play.
Formerly known as: Gothann
rhombus

Re: If the next Suikoden were PS3-bound (Save File Discussion)

Post by rhombus »

We'll be lucky if it even accepts save data from ONE of the previous Suikoden titles, let alone all of them. I mean, S5 had 100% backwards compatibility with all the other save files, yet still had no carry-overs, same with S4. Really, where and when the game is set in the Suikotimeline will have a huge effect and probably will determine if there's save transference. Of course, if it comes out for the Wii then there won't be any anyway.
Erk in danger!
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

if S6 is a direct sequel and its somehow tied to 1 of the other 5 games then it should be characters armours/runes/items transfering over and some extra secret scenes

if S6 has no attatchments to any other games then I would love a repeat of S3 where if we upload previous data then we cna read about it in the historical books and do something simmilar to acting out the roles in plays.....maybe this time we could have a SOD thats a teacher and you could like take a quiz on previous games thanks to the upload form save data and if you get it 100% correct you get some really nice prizes
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Short of the game taking place prior to Suikoden 4 (which is perfectly possible) there is no reason not to try and accept prior Suikoden game saves.

With the advent of a possible PSN release for Suikoden, one has to wonder if Konami will bank on the opportunity and spark a second wave of interest in even the PSN version of the game. While this assumes we will actually ever see Suikoden on PSN and that Suikoden 6 takes place after 1 (among other things), it's still a possibility.

It's all about marketing and timing. I wouldn't be surprised if Suikoden 2's launch created a lesser wave of Suikoden purchases due to the save transfer function, much in the same way Monster Rancher 2+ rewarded you for having multiple Tecmo games and specifically for having previous Monster Rancher games.
Ninjalizer

Post by Ninjalizer »

My guess is that they're just going to do the New Game+ option instead of carry-over.

It's probably going to be quite difficult to carry PS1 data to PS2 data to PS3. Also, the majority of the PS3's now don't have backwards compatibility.
In order of greatness:
S3 > S2 > S5 > S1 > S4
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Since I own a PS3, I'll explain a few things about how the PS3 handles save data.

Just as with emulators, the PS3 creates "container" files which emulate the hardware of PS1 or PS2 memory cards. Once you create such files and move save data into them, you can set which virtual memory card is in which "physical" slot on the console. You can still do this on the non-BC consoles as well.

The difficulties that stemmed from the PS2 save file transfer would be completely negated by having the game search through both preloaded memory card files and finding save data from each game individually.

As I said, the possibilities are endless now that save files and even memory cards are on a virtual level now.
No more scouring for PS1 memcards in order to play and save your game, nor do you need to go through a painstaking process of finding and moving the right save file from your PS1 to PS2 memcards when you finish playing Suikoden 2. Data transfer is easy and can be backed up with as much ease (I have all of my PS1 and PS2 save files backed up in individual files on my PSP and on an SD memory stick).