Suikoden Remade

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Tsubaki

Suikoden Remade

Post by Tsubaki »

Does anyone else think that they should remake all the suikodens?

My opinion is that they should finish making all the main games such as suikoden 1-10 or what ever it will go up to not including that tactics and gaidens and then remake them all from 1-10.
I think it would be cool if they did it this way because they could give them all the same style graphic and they would know all the things that are in the sequals e.g. runes and places names so when playing them all they would all feel like a true sequal because they wont be making up new things for the newer games.

Oh and for all you people who are going to say they shouldnt remake them because they would ruin them.. (thats what people allways say about remaking classics) thats crap because the originals would still be there so your not getting forced to play them.

So what does everyone else think :?:
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
eternal_sins

Re: Suikoden Remade

Post by eternal_sins »

to me, after suikoden 6 come out,
I would really love if the remake suiko 1-6 on PSP.
The I can fill my memory card with only Suikoden game and suikoden save!
Quing

Post by Quing »

Hmm...

There are two concerns which I have over the games being remade. First, I think that it would divert effort from making future games in the series. If this were a series with a larger production team, I wouldn't worry so much, but as it is, the remaking of the games would slow down the production of the other games too much. The other concern over the remaking of the games is the question of which games becomes canon. This is an issue which could successfully be avoided by the Suikoden team simply making the remakes similar enough to the originals that there aren't any content changes, but I'm not sure I trust them not to tinker.

On the other hand, if, miraculously, Konami managed to avoid those pitfalls, I think that remakes of the games would probably be fine, especially if they do as they did in Dracula X: Rondo of Blood wherein they released both the remade game and the original. I'm fond of the old graphics... One thing that I think they ought to do in the event that they remake the games is that I think that they ought to make it possible to load data from games which happened earlier chronologically but which were released later. And if they were releasing all of these games, I think that this would be a perfect time from an advertising standpoint to release the Suikogaiden games in English. None of this seems particularly likely, however... The Suikoden team seems to lack both business sense and funding.
Cuckooguy

This was supposed to be a reply to the Suikoden remake topic

Post by Cuckooguy »

I think they should focus on making a new Suikoden game great instead of making a remake. Also, I think the only games that need to be remade are the ones with flaws, and usually those flaws are addressed in sequels. Suikoden 2 is pretty much a better version of Suikoden 1, as it has a better story, more memorable characters, and lots of little tweaks that make for a much improved battle system.

I can imagine Suikoden 3 being remade, because it has a lot of flaws, but I'd rather they address these flaws in a sequel (like 2 did to 1). I also wish the Suikoden team had a sense of direction on where the want to take the series; Even though Suikoden V was good, it felt like one giant side story to what Suikoden 1-3 were building up to: Hikusaak. Personally I think they should get this Hikusaak business out of the way just so we can get some closure, and then the Suikoden team can go on a world tour if they want, but I digress.

Anyway, the should start making a great Suikoden game instead of doing a remake. The only reason I'd be interested in a remake is if it included the Suikogaidens. Otherwise, I'm not interested in playing a game I've already played before.
Last edited by Cuckooguy on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

If remakes are primaryly meant to correct flaws, then they definitely need to remake Suikoden II above any other.

I don't see how Hikusaak is the "ultimate story" of the series either, as I do not recall any reference to his name is mentioned in Suikoden or Suikoden II. Or Suikoden IV and V, for that matter. It seems the only game that gave him much focus was Suikoden III, and I don't see how we should conclude that one game's central plot device justifiably represents the series' "ultimate story".
Black knight overlord

Post by Black knight overlord »

I think the only one that really need's to be remade is IV because it was way too easy and there werent many areas you could go to, like towns and stuff(the ones you could go to werent very interesting anyway) and a few things in V could have been better, like even more interesting stars because none of them were too "out there", and the #1 thing that should be fixed is: the large animals. they were cool and interesting in S2(Squids and unicorns were really different and fun to use) but ever since they started to go downhill.

Giffins, Dragons and Bugs(the bugs were ok) in S3

Nothing in S4(the mermaids could have fought at least)

A giant turtle and giant snake in S5(The snake was kinda interesting)

But I think the ideas for them were better in S2(a whole squid familly vs. the beast rune was funny)
Cuckooguy

Post by Cuckooguy »

No where did I say Hikusaak was the "ultimate story". Did you see anywhere in my post where I said Hikusaak is the "ultimate story"? No? Then stop assuming that. I said, and I quote,
Personally I think they should get this Hikusaak business out of the way just so we can get some closure, and then the Suikoden team can go on a world tour if they want
which means build a game or two up to Hikusaak to get him over with so then we can go to Falena or the Zelant or whatever. But it's too late for that, eh? I guess Konami thinks people are satisfied with the status quo and having to go through twenty games before they even think of touching Harmonia or solving the mysteries of the Sindar. I guess I'll be 92 by then.

What I'm saying is that the series needs a sense of progression. I'm sick of the status quo. Suikoden 1 introduced us to the world of Suikoden, Suikoden 2 (and Suikogaiden) foreshadowed the Grasslands and Luc's heritage, Suikoden 3 foreshadowed Hikusaak and Harmonia, and then what happens? The series creator leaves because of some internal company issues and the series lost its sense of direction, and, if Suikoden IV and V are any indication, the series goes off on some dumb tanget and we get a world tour where they're trying to slow down and milk the series for all its worth by introducing one new True Rune per country.

What I'm saying is before they try to introduce us to new plots and territory, they should tie up old loose ends first, instead of dodging them all the time by making the new game set in new country #16 or new continent #72. When you create loose ends, it's only appropriate to tie them up. Otherwise the series loses it sense of direction and things build up to nothing.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Cuckooguy wrote:No where did I say Hikusaak was the "ultimate story". Did you see anywhere in my post where I said Hikusaak is the "ultimate story"? No? Then stop assuming that. I said, and I quote,
Personally I think they should get this Hikusaak business out of the way just so we can get some closure, and then the Suikoden team can go on a world tour if they want
which means build a game or two up to Hikusaak to get him over with so then we can go to Falena or the Zelant or whatever. But it's too late for that, eh? I guess Konami thinks people are satisfied with the status quo and having to go through twenty games before they even think of touching Harmonia or solving the mysteries of the Sindar. I guess I'll be 92 by then.

What I'm saying is that the series needs a sense of progression. I'm sick of the status quo. Suikoden 1 introduced us to the world of Suikoden, Suikoden 2 (and Suikogaiden) foreshadowed the Grasslands and Luc's heritage, Suikoden 3 foreshadowed Hikusaak and Harmonia, and then what happens? The series creator leaves because of some internal company issues and the series lost its sense of direction, and, if Suikoden IV and V are any indication, the series goes off on some dumb tanget and we get a world tour where they're trying to slow down and milk the series for all its worth by introducing one new True Rune per country.

What I'm saying is before they try to introduce us to new plots and territory, they should tie up old loose ends first, instead of dodging them all the time by making the new game set in new country #16 or new continent #72. When you create loose ends, it's only appropriate to tie them up. Otherwise the series loses it sense of direction and things build up to nothing.
Suikoden V didn't feel that much like a side story to me - sure, the first games didn't talk much about Falena, but the amount of information they revealed in it was astounding - especially related to the Sindar. The earlier games had been dropping hints about the Sindar every so often, and then we get a much better picture of their reach in V. How do you know that V wasn't alluding to a greater role for them in the progression of the series' story as a whole?

I do get what you mean about IV, though. II and III pique your interest about Harmonia and their search for the True Runes, and then *BAM*, island vacation 150 years in the past!
Cuckooguy

Post by Cuckooguy »

I think Suikoden V could've worked as a new start for Suikoden of sorts; I would think that Falena would be the natural place to go after Harmonia and start on shedding light on the Sindar. If I had control of the series, the 4th game would take place in Harmonia, and the 5th game would take place in the Nameless Lands (I think it could be interesting to settle the whole Hikusaak thing somewhere other than Harmonia). Then Suikoden V would be like the new Suikoden I; a fresh start on a new continent where things build up to and revolve around the Sindar. I mean, as long as Konami doesn't use the Sindar as an excuse to constantly create new ruins that were created for the purpose of destroying or controlling the continent; those things are always easy to write off as ancient people making them. The only way I wouldn't cringe at that is if the Sindar were antagonists that wanted to control/destroy the world, or something like that. Yes, that would explain why they made ruins for the purpose of destroying a True Rune or technology to be able to control the True Runes that won't "choose" them as a bearer.

Then after the mysteries of the Sindar are solved, it'd be the start of a new arc that ties the Suikoden saga up that revolves around the nature of the True Runes and the nature of the 108 Stars of Destiny. As in, why is it that there's always 108 Stars of Destiny in times of need and why is it they're so special? Why does recruiting 108 Stars of Destiny bring a miracle that's enough to change people's destiny? You'd think historians in the Suikoden world would catch on to these kinds of things, but only Leknaat and that Qlon Temple monk Fukien in the first Suikoden seem to know anything about Stars of Destiny.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

Well if yall think about it i said after they make all off them they should then remake them all from number 1-..., if they did that then they could add more parts in about characters that just seem like random star fillers, also they could add in things like new mini games and none plot missions, they would also have better graphic talking and hopefully this time no mistakes. For all those people who dissagree... why i no there good games but once they stop making the series its gone.. so i for one would like to still play new suikoden games even if there remakes.. :P
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I personally don't really care whether they do remake them or not. If they remake, then I know for a fact that the graphic (of course) will change, the story WILL be shifted in somewhat way, and probably more side quests will be available for us. But thinking about remaking 1-6?? nah Remake 1-3 would be nice. Part 4 had good graphic, and an okay storyline. Why would they want to remake GS5? It is the newest, or will be the second newest, no point of remaking a recent new game.
Nick Bruiser
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

I don't think remakes for Suikodens would make enough money. Something I hope but will never happen is that Suikoden III will be released in Europe.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

My first reply on here & only reading the first reply.
Good day to everyone.

I have always loved to play my fav role playing games in better graphics.
First we should see what console the game will be played in.
Then they can remake the series.
Dont forget that each Suikoden needs to be beaten so we can use the last save for the first three episodes.
It would make sense if Suikoden 6 came out for the Wii
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

We don't need remakes.

The franchise needs to continue forward instead of just rehashing itself like Square does with Final Fantasy.

I want Suikoden 6 to pick up after Suikoden 3.

No more "prequels". No more old characters!
Quing

Post by Quing »

While I agree that more new Suikoden games ought to be made, I disagree that they ought to stop making prequels. They're doing just fine. One of the main purposes of the Suikoden series is to show off the world. The Suikoden people are doing this effectively by showing prequels. Honestly, I find the earlier timeline as fascinating as the later timeline. I think that they need to set more games between IV and V, and I think that they need more games set even earlier. I think that to simply do a big finale where they reveal everything would be stylistically sloppy and altogether unsatisfying. If all the games made are as good as V was, I'm happy to spend ludicrous amounts of money on the series, no matter what the time period. But I've gotten off-topic. Forgive me.