Which next-gen system?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Night

Re: Suikoden Next Gen-Wii/PS3, Whats your vote?

Post by Night »

Zeikcied wrote:
Michael Easton wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:Sony can still hope for many Japanese companies to work almost exclusively with them...

-Squeenix has been working closely with Sony ever since the PSX. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, anyone?
I think someone from Square-Enix did say something recently about Final Fantasy staying on the PS3. Sorry about the lack of names/dates/sources :( . I'll try and find a link to verify this.
Other than a FFXIII spin-off on a handheld (I think the DS, maybe), the numbered Final Fantasy games look to remain PlayStation exclusive.

Of course, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy Tactics will still be made for Nintendo consoles.
I don't know about FFXIII, but there is a FFXII sequel coming out on the DS. It's called Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and starts after the end of XII.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Night wrote:
Zeikcied wrote:
Michael Easton wrote:
I think someone from Square-Enix did say something recently about Final Fantasy staying on the PS3. Sorry about the lack of names/dates/sources :( . I'll try and find a link to verify this.
Other than a FFXIII spin-off on a handheld (I think the DS, maybe), the numbered Final Fantasy games look to remain PlayStation exclusive.

Of course, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy Tactics will still be made for Nintendo consoles.
I don't know about FFXIII, but there is a FFXII sequel coming out on the DS. It's called Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and starts after the end of XII.
I swear I read that FFXIII was getting the same kind of spin-off. I could be mistaken, though...
Ven

Post by Ven »

Say what?

Oh, it says vote, ne?

Hmmmm...personally, the Wii. Although, I couldn't care less as I seem to recall this is completely opinionated and not forcing others to believe they should think the same way on these matters. I wouldn't mind if it was on the PS3. Hey, it would mean that there'd be another damn reason after the many collections of reasons to get one. Well, the fact that it is Suikoden VI is the only reason it would multiply the reasons 10x. And that Sony would get richer. <Bricked>
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Waylander wrote:While I appreciate your objectivity on the matter, you haven’t proven anything; nor have you provided evidence of anything. The picture you supplied—while funny—means precisely nothing. You mention, “hundreds of justifiable reasons” but didn’t provide concrete evidence for any other them and only alluded to three...

As to Kojima, people are allowed to go back on their word and not be fired and/or murdered for it. Furthermore, Kojima is the developer and not the publisher. Konami will do what they think is best to make the most financial gains on the project, and that may include releasing the game on one system and then taking a year to port it over to another. (This has actually been done before in the not too distant past by another high profile, Japanese publisher with a very big name franchise.)

I’m not saying you’re wrong, MGS4 may never come to the 360, and I couldn’t care less, but try to back up what you’re saying with something a little more substantial than a fan made picture.

Isn’t this thread about Suikoden?

I don't really need to explain anything, you can believe in all you want, but just remember that Kojima has officially stated that, quoted, "The PS3 is like the theater, and MGS4 is designed for the theater."

As for the picture, it's not really something for a ridiculous thought. MGS4 is gonna use almost all 40-50 GB of a single Blu-ray disc, and if you're not gonna compress MGS4 to the HD-DVD limit, the picture explains it all.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Occam Arkitect wrote: I don't really need to explain anything, you can believe in all you want, but just remember that Kojima has officially stated that, quoted, "The PS3 is like the theater, and MGS4 is designed for the theater."

As for the picture, it's not really something for a ridiculous thought. MGS4 is gonna use almost all 40-50 GB of a single Blu-ray disc, and if you're not gonna compress MGS4 to the HD-DVD limit, the picture explains it all.
While I agree with you, Konami could still port it against his will, as they did before.

This would be an expensive undertaking, though, due to its size and sophistication. I'm sure they'd rather take the gamble that MGS4 will move PS3s - which in all likelihood, it will. It is the #1 reason I'll be buying a PS3, and I'm not even a harccore MGS fan.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Oh man I really wish I could Edit my original post but I made this thread with my old account. Trust it to be my most popular here lol. Anyway If anyone is wondering yes the 360 is now included in this arguement.

When I made this thread it looked like the PS3 would do well and the Wii was doing good also and that it would be the 360 that would become a big failure.

Guess I was wrong lol.

If any admins or mods are reading this can you please re-edit the original post to include the 360 please. Thank You.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Zeikcied wrote:I swear I read that FFXIII was getting the same kind of spin-off. I could be mistaken, though...
You're almost right. FFXIII is getting two (that's right: two) spin-offs:

- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3): it's supposed to be more action-oriented than FFXIII.
- Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Mobile): this may not get a European release. Don't even know what it's about.

There's more FF spin-offs as well, including:

- Final Fantasy Tactics Shishi Senso (PSP): a remake of Final Fantasy Tactics.
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS): self explanatory really.
- Final Fantasy VII - Crisis Core (PSP): prequel to FFVII focuses on Zack Fair. Looks sort action-y.
- Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Jobsystem (PS2): basically FFXII with customised Licence Boards and includes a 'secret DVD' - whatever that is.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring Of Fates (DS): sequel to the Gamecube original - only on the DS (obviously).
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Wii): probably going to be similar to the Gamecube original.
- Final Fantasy Dissidia (PSP): a one-on-one 3D fighting game set in an arena.

There's also a load of ports and remakes of the early games (1-6) in the pipeline. Is it me or are Square-Enix going to milk FF to death?
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Michael Easton wrote:
Zeikcied wrote:I swear I read that FFXIII was getting the same kind of spin-off. I could be mistaken, though...
You're almost right. FFXIII is getting two (that's right: two) spin-offs:

- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3): it's supposed to be more action-oriented than FFXIII.
- Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Mobile): this may not get a European release. Don't even know what it's about.
I knew about FF Versus XIII, but I was drawing a blank on the handheld game. So, it's a mobile phone game, not for gaming handhelds. That's probably why I couldn't quite remember it.
EternalOnslaught

Re: Suikoden Next Gen-Wii/PS3/360, Whats your vote?

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I'm with the crowd if there is one, that believe that Suikoden should stick with Sony, however I also believe that multiplatforming isn't exactly a bad thing either, just certain restrictions do apply. I am not totally against them releasing it on the PS2, even though it has been said that V was the last installment for the PS2, but everyone goes back on their word now or later. This will be perfect for them to multiplatform, namely the Wii, as someone posted already. The engine powers between the two systems are not as different as the Wii and PS3 in the power department. Their engines are different too, the Wii is a beefed up or more frankly a advanced gamecube. It will probably take too much money and time, if they were to make it for the Wii and PS3. Xbox360, is another choice, but I find it unlikely, if they want a RPG, they would go after Final Fantasy.

Xbox360 has been about graphics, that isn't one of Suikodens strong points, it's one of Final Fantasy. I could see a Wild Arms game hitting the Xbox360 before a Suikoden game. As for exclusive rights, I can't see Suikoden VI being an Nintendo exclusive at all, I can see it on the Wii, if they release it on the PS2. But, Konami will do what they want to do with the franchise, I can't see it from their point of view completely.

Also, for the Metal Gear Solid 4, I saw somewhere a while ago about certain aspects of the game that would only function correctly on the PS3. However, from this source, Hideo Kojima has express that it is technically possible to be on the Xbox360. The reason it may be an exclusive is actually kind of funny here's the link, believe it or not, I have no way of telling if this source is realiable or not.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/676/676685p1.html
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

EternalOnslaught wrote:I could see a Wild Arms game hitting the Xbox360 before a Suikoden game.
I believe Sony actually owns Wild ARMs. Media.Vision isn't owned by Sony (as I checked, and they're making a Wii game, and have made an XBox game in the past), but I'm sure Wild ARMs is owned by Sony. As the non-Sony published Wild ARMs games, like Alter Code: F, have the Sony Computer Entertainment name before the title screen (where they plug all the companies involved). And a quick trademark search shows that Sony Computer Entertainment America does indeed own the name Wild ARMs. So...Wild ARMs on a 360 is impossible, unless Sony pulls a Sega sometime in this console generation, and I just don't see the PS3 failing so badly that Sony has to quit the hardware business, especially after they dominated two previous generations.
However, from this source, Hideo Kojima has express that it is technically possible to be on the Xbox360. The reason it may be an exclusive is actually kind of funny here's the link, believe it or not, I have no way of telling if this source is realiable or not.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/676/676685p1.html
IGN is right up there with Gamespot in terms of reliability, as far as I'm concerned. More than Gamespot, in my opinion, but that's me. As for 1Up.com, where IGN got their info, 1Up.com is closely associated with Electronic Gaming Monthly and other Ziff Davis gaming publications. Which confuses the hell out of me, as Gamespot is still a Ziff Davis website, and was the first website closely associated with EGM and all that. Now 1Up comes along, and it's the new home for the magazines, but it's almost a competitor for Gamespot, while still being owned by the same company. How strange. But, that's a rant for another day.

Anyway, the story is from December 2005. I just wanted to note that. As for Kojima's reason, I think he may have been joking a little. But on the other hand, I could see him being passionate enough about gaming that he wants to be the first to try out new development units. Kind of silly, sure, but I can understand it.
EternalOnslaught

Also, don't count Sony out yet, the PS3 hasn't even been out for a year and people are already saying it is a failure. The next lineup of games for the PS3 looks pretty good, I think the tide can change by next year in favor of the PS3. I also wouldn't put Wii in the equation, Nintendo already said they aren't competing against Microsoft or Sony.

Also, don't you think Microsoft is releasing their systems too close together? The original Xbox never really got much time to itself, and they release another version of the Xbox360, call the Elite or something, is it a good move on their part or is it a move of desperation? I believe the Elite was sold $479-$500 somewhere around there.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Yes, that's why nobody wants to go back to the original Xbox, wherein in Sony's camp, people still and will play the PS2 for years, especially in japan.
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

EternalOnslaught wrote:Also, don't count Sony out yet, the PS3 hasn't even been out for a year and people are already saying it is a failure. The next lineup of games for the PS3 looks pretty good, I think the tide can change by next year in favor of the PS3. I also wouldn't put Wii in the equation, Nintendo already said they aren't competing against Microsoft or Sony.

Also, don't you think Microsoft is releasing their systems too close together? The original Xbox never really got much time to itself, and they release another version of the Xbox360, call the Elite or something, is it a good move on their part or is it a move of desperation? I believe the Elite was sold $479-$500 somewhere around there.
The 360 Elite is just a fancy 360 with an HDMI port and a 120 Gig hard drive. Other than that, it's the same XBox 360.

In all respects, though, the 360 was released too early, in my opinion. Four years between systems is a bit short. And the fact that Microsoft came out and said they were not making any more XBox games, seemed like a lack of appreciation for XBox owners. But, I guess I'm used to the way Sony and Nintendo have done things.

Nintendo released the last NES game in 1994. Sony released their last PS1 game in 2001. Although, The Twilight Princess may have been the last Game Cube game from Nintendo, and God Of War 2 may have been the last PS2 game from Sony, both companies still supported those systems after their successor launched. The PS2 had a nice seven year run, so I don't think anyone will complain about that. The Cube didn't fare too well, but it got five years.

Anyway, I agree it's too early to count out the PS3. It annoys me when people talk about what a failure it is. But the system has only been out eight months, and it's still selling a steady amount each month. It's not like the Sega Dreamcast which sold a lot of systems in the first couple months, then just stopped selling. Or the Virtual Boy where the sales were dismal from the start, and just got worse. The PS3 has sold over three million units, and is in no way a failure yet. Compared to the Wii, which has sold seven million in the same time period, it looks pretty bad. But, looking at all the factors, including the price point and lack of "must have" games, I'd say the PS3 is doing quite well.
EternalOnslaught

I just wish there was more information about this next installment, it's like splitting hairs, I really hope they take their time and make this game a good hit, but how about releasing information once in a while? Like which console it will be on, so I can decide if I need to buy a damn Wii or not.

On the other hand, I heard that Sony might be planning a price drop for the PS3, does anyone know if they plan to take out anything in the US versions?
HobsonA

Which next-gen system?

Post by HobsonA »

This isn't a topic asking which System would you like to have Suikoden VI come out on, but rather which one do you think it will come out on. I doubt it would come out on the Wii, which is good cause I over played everyone elses Wii, got bored of it, dont wanna play it anymore. So it's come down to me getting a XBOX 360 or a Playstation 3. Right now my scale is tipped in favor of PS3, but I get worried about being blocked out of my favorite RPGs and games, or getting a System that might not succeed. So obviously I am trying to get as much information as I can before I make my final choice which i Hope to have by the end of this week. Price is not a factor in my deciding process with the systems. I assume that all costs are the same for which system I choose even though it's obviously not the same.