Which next-gen system?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
EternalOnslaught

Re: Which next-gen system?

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Well, until further announcements are made, I am sticking with the PS3 for the next installment. They have constantly been on Sony consoles except before the franchise even made it's way to Sony(saturn, PC) and one game on the GBC. Now the people who believe it may be on the Wii have reason enough to believe, but I still think that it is possible it may be a Ys, if any of you are familiar with that game, which some of you probably are.
Sniper_Zegai wrote:Im not gonna discount Yu-Gi-Oh! from the unnamed RPG list. I would'nt count it as an RPG but some may.
Yu-Gi-Oh may be the unannounce RPG for the Wii , but it usually multiplatform unless its on a handheld.
KoRnholio wrote:Suikoden V proved you can fit a long RPG with good graphics - not cutting edge, but I haven't heard one person complain about Suikoden V's graphics - on a single DVD.

On the other hand, the Suikoden team is *much* more acquainted with PS2 development than Wii development. Using the Wii as well as they did the PS2 would probably be wishful thinking. Notice I'm saying the Suikoden team and not Konami - Konami may be developing a decent amount of games for Wii, but the Suikoden team/s definately haven't.

If you ask me, given that there's two teams working on Suikoden at once, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Suikoden title in development for PS3, and one in development for Wii - maybe VI for PS3 and some side-game (I would say Tactics II, but the first one didn't seem to go over well with fans, so who knows) used to experiment with Wii development.
That could be the case as well, it would be smart for them to experiment with a console that they haven't worked on before with a side-story installment, instead with a numerical installment. No one wants a crappy Suikoden game, and if we were to get one, let it be a side-story and not a major game.

And all the argument about disc space? I don't think that is a issue, though the Wii did does not support DVD format, and I am not exactly sure the capacity of a normal DVD single layer is.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
leake2002

Post by leake2002 »

In my mind, their are two possibilities with next suikoden game. It will either be on the Wii ( its easy to program for, from what I've heard, and it has a major growing base). If it's on either the PS3 or the Xbox 360 it will be on both, for three main reasons:

1. Both systems have similiar capabilities, not hardware mind you, but they can achieve similar end results.

2. Neither system has a large enough base, to rationalize exclusivity at this moment unless the price lower tactics change the game or one the console makers pay/"offer help" in regards to games production or post-production.

3. Games are becoming very expensive to make, leading to a situation where exclusivity cn become quite detrimental to the development. Especially in situations where there is a hard advantage in supporting only one system or a major disadvantage in going multi-console( major costs in multiple versions not offset by a large amount of increased sales)
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Using our new fancy smancy forum tools, I merged this topic with the other Next Gen Suikoden topic from the general forum.
EternalOnslaught

:shock: Awesome. But seriously, for whichever system it is released on I hope they put out some kind of downloadable content perhaps. Or maybe with the PS3, some fancy trophies would be nice, along with the downloadable content.
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

Suikoden was made on Gameboy advance, y not on DS or Wii?

Correct me if im rong cause i usually am, but ive seen in the newspapers that Nintendo sold 10,000 wii's in Australia, but that was ages ago.

So konami probably changed the console choice for suikoden 6.

Plus i've read somwhere that they were going to change the console, i forgot what website i read that from though...

And i hope they dont make suikoden 6 like final fantasy 12 where u move and fight, (that's real time isnt it? Im not sure about the different systems of the RPGS terms) thats just ruining it. And a normal RPG on Wii has been done, Pokemon battle revolution isnt real time.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Red rune wrote:Suikoden was made on Gameboy advance, y not on DS or Wii?

Correct me if im rong cause i usually am, but ive seen in the newspapers that Nintendo sold 10,000 wii's in Australia, but that was ages ago.

So konami probably changed the console choice for suikoden 6.

Plus i've read somwhere that they were going to change the console, i forgot what website i read that from though...

And i hope they dont make suikoden 6 like final fantasy 12 where u move and fight, (that's real time isnt it? Im not sure about the different systems of the RPGS terms) thats just ruining it. And a normal RPG on Wii has been done, Pokemon battle revolution isnt real time.
Jesus H. Christ.

IF YOU CAN'T SPEAK, READ OR CORRECTLY TYPE PROPER ENGLISH, THEN DON'T POST.

Go buy a bloody dictionary.

Second of all. Suikoden wasn't made on Gameboy advance. (Unless there's a Gaiden I'm not aware of)

There is a Japanese release of Suiko 1 and 2. That's it.

So Suikoden will either - move onto PSP ala Star Ocean or stay on Sony machines. PS3.

The. End. Of. The. Discussion.

Got it?
Cuckooguy

Post by Cuckooguy »

He's referring to Suikoden Card Stories on the GBA, which is more of a spinoff than anything else.

As for what system I'd like the next Suikoden to be on, I hope that it's not on a handheld. It's probably just me, but I think handheld games should be games you can screw around with for fifteen minutes and still be satisfied with what you've accomplished in those fifteen minutes (like Warioware or Lumines), but if it's a game that includes long stretches of gameplay then it should be on a console. Also, I really think the next Suikoden needs to outdo itself in some way if Suikoden wants to have any kind of future, and I don't feel a handheld is the right stage for that.

But anyway, since I think this way I think it should be on one of the next-gen systems. I don't really care which system it'll be on actually (Wii, PS3, or X-Box 360), but considering the fact that the only game series Konami is willing to throw a huge amount of money at is Metal Gear Solid then perhaps it should be made on a system that has a lower budget to develop for (like the Wii), but if they're willing to pull out all the stops in making Suikoden VI, then yes I'd like it on either the PS3/X-Box 360.

Personally I really wish they'd bring back the camera from Suikoden IV. It made me feel more intimate and immersed in the world than the cameras in III and V, mainly because the transition between cutscenes and walking around became jarring. It's like I'm walking around, and then a cutscene plays, and then the change in camera (and the obvious use of motion capture in cutscenes) keeps reminding me that I'm playing a videogame (which you usually forget about when immersed in a game). I feel the contrast is just too great.

But anyway, I want it on a system that makes me feel like Konami is saying, "Yeah, we're serious about making this game better than the rest."
whileheavenwept

Post by whileheavenwept »

Nephlabobo can you stop attacking people for spelling and grammar errors. It seems like all of your posts involve you being overly dramatic about a few internet slang words or typos. This is a Suikoden message board, a friendly place for us suikoden fans to chat, debate, speculate, etc about Suikoden. Why all the hostility?
Also, incase you weren't aware, a lot of people on here aren't from english speaking countries. As long as they can reply in some sort of tangible form, which most can, what's the problem with it?

Read the forum rules as well, Anyone found attacking, or goading others into attacking, any board member or demographic group will be instantly, and permanently, banned and their details shared with other Suikoden based forums. I'm no mod but it seems like that rule is on the verge of being broken.

Anyways, to stay on topic i'm in favor of Konami moving the series to the Wii, but to me the console isn't as important as them mentioning to us that it's in production!!! :D
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

whileheavenwept wrote: Read the forum rules as well, Anyone found attacking, or goading others into attacking, any board member or demographic group will be instantly, and permanently, banned and their details shared with other Suikoden based forums. I'm no mod but it seems like that rule is on the verge of being broken.

Anyways, to stay on topic i'm in favor of Konami moving the series to the Wii, but to me the console isn't as important as them mentioning to us that it's in production!!! :D
Look.

1) Mind your own business.

2) I'm trying to make the forum a better place. I *can't stand* non-sensical posts or posts with poor grammar/spelling. Getting these people to improve their posts is better for everyone.

3) Mind your own business.

4) You're right, you're not a mod. Mind your own business.

5) People clamouring for things like new games with McDohl, Viktor/Flik etc. are going to kill the game by stagnating it and making it a parody of itself. The series needs to move forward, and I'm simply doing people a favour by making them realise that.

6) Mind your own business.
whileheavenwept

Post by whileheavenwept »

"2) I'm trying to make the forum a better place."

You're doing a terrible job of it.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

nephlabobo wrote:
whileheavenwept wrote: Read the forum rules as well, Anyone found attacking, or goading others into attacking, any board member or demographic group will be instantly, and permanently, banned and their details shared with other Suikoden based forums. I'm no mod but it seems like that rule is on the verge of being broken.

Look.

1) Mind your own business.

2) I'm trying to make the forum a better place. I *can't stand* non-sensical posts or posts with poor grammar/spelling. Getting these people to improve their posts is better for everyone.

3) Mind your own business.

4) You're right, you're not a mod. Mind your own business.

5) People clamouring for things like new games with McDohl, Viktor/Flik etc. are going to kill the game by stagnating it and making it a parody of itself. The series needs to move forward, and I'm simply doing people a favour by making them realise that.

6) Mind your own business.
Unfortunately, not everyone is going to type exactly the same. It can be annoying, but so be it. Please stop attacking other members of the forums.
Purr.
Frozen Yakman

Post by Frozen Yakman »

Personally I hope it comes out on the Wii. It makes finacial sense for Konami considering the Wii has a far larger penetration thatn both the XBox 360 and the Playstation 3. I also refuse to buy the PS3 because of its support for Blu-Ray with its DRM malware. Until the Blu-Ray soundly beaten as DVD's pitiful CSS I refuse to support (HD-DVD as well).
EternalOnslaught

I can see it on the Wii, PS3, or perhaps the PSP. I just really can't see one being release on the Xbox360, if microsoft was going to try and grab an RPG from Sony, it would be a game like Final Fantasy. It would only make sense, you have to take into factor what the majority of Xbox360 owners are into.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

actually, from what I read, there was a forum talking about the RPG will be excellent on the wii system. Personally, I really want Suikoden to stay on ps3, but in Suikdoen, you are capable of playing with 1 hand. The wii control also requires only one hand. Then I read on with the forum, it talked about how it be amazing if Suikdoden 6 has fishing in it, since the wii already has a fishing game and whole bunch of other things.. sounds interesting to me
Nick Bruiser
McBones

Post by McBones »

The PS3 is the logical next step, since its the next Sony platform, it will probably keep the same fans, etc. Also, the PS3 has higher quality graphics and is overall more powerful (correct me if im wrong, but cant blu-ray hold more data than DVDs, or something along those lines?). that would definitely be a plus for Suikoden. But, the PS3 is expensive and at the moment isnt selling too much either. I know this is totally personal, but all the games that I would ever buy on the PS3 are also on/coming to 360, so that doesnt help (for those that are interested in DMC4, Soulcalibur 4, RE5, etc).

360 probably has the biggest customer base (since its been out for a year longer than PS3/Wii) and is definitely not out of price reach. However, its not a very popular RPG platform (in Japan its not even a popular system in general), so that would probably be a pretty bad move anyway.

Wii is the cheapest system (and while Suikoiden might not be a system seller, the Wii definitely has a strong lineup anyway). The motion controls might go to waste a little, but theres definitely a lot of good ideas (fishing and duels, like Kornholio mentioned. Plus for war battles, they could make it more like S5, Civilization or Age of Empires and use the Wiimote as the cursor). On the downside, it might miss some of its target audience since the Wii isnt really an RPG system either, and the Wii isnt as powerful either.

All in all, PS3 or Wii look like safe bets (Im hoping for Wii or 360 since those are my systems).