Which skill system do you want in Suikoden VI?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Cuckooguy

Re: Which skill system do you want in Suikoden VI?

Post by Cuckooguy »

Suikoden III's biggest flaw in the skill system is the fact that, once one character's skills were maxed out, you couldn't do anything with the leftover skills that person had (most likely whoever you made the Flame Champion). If they fixed that, I'd be fine with the way it was handled in Suikoden III too. However, I'd still prefer Suikoden Tactics' skill system. Sure, they can raise a skill to rank S on whatever skill available to them, but that can be remedied by limiting what's available to them. Another way to diversify the cast is to alter how much skill points it takes for so-and-so to max out said stat, like, say, it takes twice as many skill points for Hugo to max out his water stat than Chris. Being unable to to raise a certain stat to rank S makes me wonder why I should even bother raising that stat in the first place if it's going to be useless.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Cuckooguy wrote:Suikoden III's biggest flaw in the skill system is the fact that, once one character's skills were maxed out, you couldn't do anything with the leftover skills that person had (most likely whoever you made the Flame Champion). If they fixed that, I'd be fine with the way it was handled in Suikoden III too. However, I'd still prefer Suikoden Tactics' skill system. Sure, they can raise a skill to rank S on whatever skill available to them, but that can be remedied by limiting what's available to them. Another way to diversify the cast is to alter how much skill points it takes for so-and-so to max out said stat, like, say, it takes twice as many skill points for Hugo to max out his water stat than Chris. Being unable to to raise a certain stat to rank S makes me wonder why I should even bother raising that stat in the first place if it's going to be useless.
but since stat differences are pretty insignificant for close-to-average stat growths (there are usually only a few extreme high or low stat growths for Suikoden characters... until V), it just becomes an issue of how many skill slots you have that makes you really potent or not... of course there are still other things such as rune slots, but i like the idea of having natural maximums and equipment and other methods that can further boost skills. maybe you want more interesting equipment that can do more for your character's stats/skills.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Keep the zero-cost pool of SP from Rhapsodia, but bring back the personal proficiency in skills from Suikoden III. Sounds fair?

Free positioning battle system and chanting times are must-have, though.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Aslong as they stay away from S5's system I'll be happy. It felt like S5 was almost...punishing you for wanting to raise skills. It was like 'well your favourite character can't get any of the epics you'd want so you'll be forced to use an epic that doesn't go with the way you want your character set up or go for two very basic skills whilst missing out on everything else.' It was the most contrained form of customisation i've seen in a long time. :/ A Rhapsodia/S3 hybrid sounds like a dream.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I prefered Suikoden 2's system the most, I feel like 5's improvements were'nt that great and they were just in there so Konami could say "Look we added something", I just did'nt get it. The Suikoden 2 system was simple easy fun and tactical at the same time. I hate it when games have something good going and they try and add needless additions becuase they feel the need to add something to a seqeul. Luckily it did'nt ruin my gameplay experience, but Im re-playing Suikoden 1 and Ive re-played Suikoden 2 who knows how many times, however with Suikoden 3 and 5, I beat them once and never touched them again. Gotta ask myself why that is...
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Frozen Yakman

Post by Frozen Yakman »

I would prefer Suikoden III's skill system (and battle system) with Suikoden V's party pool. I would also like to see a SIII style strategic battle system where the skill of your stars influences their ability in strategic battle.
Geddoe 2099

Post by Geddoe 2099 »

I actually like the system on 5, being that it had the SP pool system. But I think that SP pool shouldn't penalize those who place point in the pool, however. I also think that it should have had more than two skills equipped per person.

And about the free form combat style? I like Suikoden's variable formation style BEST, and I think the free form formation should be a selectable style of formation, no different than the Illusion formation, Hungry Wolf, etc.
BlackKnightYuber

Post by BlackKnightYuber »

As others have already mentioned, it should be a hybrid of the best aspects of all of them. I hear Tactics did the skills system well, but I haven't played it so I can't comment. I also agree with keeping the party skill points, hopefully cost-free upon transference. Anyway, that was a nice addition to the series.