Commoner or Noble Tenkai

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
sunstar25

Commoner or Noble Tenkai

Post by sunstar25 »

So far, nearly all of Tenkai come from a noble lineage.

Tir and Thomas were nobility.

Riou was pretty much a commoner even though he was the adopted son of a war hero.

Lazlo was raised as a commoner even though he really was of royal blood.

Freyjadour came from royalty.

So which is better?

A nobody who would become a great savior? Or a noble who knows right and wrong and restores freedom to a land ruled from tyranny?
TrueEightfold

Post by TrueEightfold »

Well Thomas wasn't the main character, but technically your right.

And Lazlo was of royal blood, and was raised as nobility. Snowe's father treated him as a son, which is why Snowe and him were so close.

I like the nobody becoming a somebody scenario. I would REALLY like a Ferid type character. Coming from a foriegn land as a barbarian. (Even though the Island Nations don't seem very barbaric) Then he makes a friend of high ranking power who goes with him along his quest for whatever reason it will be.
"We did not choose to be the guardians at the gate, but there is no one else"
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

I would love the next Suikoden Tenkai to be a street kid. Show a real turn-around from the streets to the big, bad leader of the new Army :P Wouldn't that be fun? And he grows a lot as he encounters new things. But I guess for that to work he would have to be NON-SILENT and actually speak. Otherwise he has a set personality. Blah.
sundown78

Post by sundown78 »

I tend to favor the idea of a commoner Tenkai star, but wouldn't be opposed to nobility. I really liked the idea I read online a while back, where the Suikoden VI hero is a martial arts student under the tutelage of Pahn. That would give us a nice, immediate tie-in to early Suikoden games, like Georg did immediately in Suikoden V. Plus, who doesn't love a kick-ass martial artist? ;)
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

That article you read was from someone who pretended they lived in Japan and had a relative working on a Suikoden project. It was all fake.

And completely crazy sounding as well.
Purr.
sundown78

Post by sundown78 »

Pollensalta wrote:That article you read was from someone who pretended they lived in Japan and had a relative working on a Suikoden project. It was all fake.

And completely crazy sounding as well.
I know it was. I just thought it was a pretty good idea, fake or not.
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

I would also prefere a Ferid like chaacter. You remember Alenias words at the Sacred Games? I hate to give credit to a barbaric swordsman from some backward land, but he is good with the blade. Then Arshtat's comment was GODLIKE!! A barbaric swordsman you say? When Ferid came to this country he was faaaaaaaar more barbaric than that :)

Yes I would love to have a "thick skinned barbarian" as a main hero. A rough commner which earns the sympathy, respect and prestige like Riou in Suikoden 2 did. Of course Konami should make him having no manners when having dinner with the others and must learn the other type of behavior :) A real hothead whichs becomes mature with the flow of the time.

Pokerface
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

We've already seen a tenkai like that, though we don't get to play as him. The Flame Champion. Remember, he started as just a lowly brigand, robbing people, and ended up forming an army to fight Harmonia. It would be fun to play a game of that war, though we already know how it would turn out.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Judging that most of the Tenkai's in the past have been nobility it would be a pretty safe bet to assume that the next Tenkai will also be from a noble family/royalty. It would be interesting to see a commoner with no royal/noble connections lead the army, Mel Gibson style.

What I would like to see in Suikoden VI is a Tenkai who was a greater strategic role, as opposed to someone who merely carries out the strategies of your tactician without question. However, in order for this to occur the Hero would probably need to speak, dampening the chances of this occurring.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Riou "earned sympathy, respect and prestige"? I'd say most of that came from his connections with Genkaku. A lot of the characters held him in high regards due to what the City-States to their once all-important hero figure.

If they go for a commoner next, they better go for someone completely clean from any relationships with royals and nobilities, whether in blood or through adoption.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Well - considering Suikoden 3 you had

Geddoe - mercenary
Thomas - illegitimate child
Hugo - Warrior

Chris was the only one with any connection to nobility.

I think you have a good idea, I just think we might have already seen it.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Hugo's the son of the clan chief. That's the grasslander equivelent of a noble.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Thomas was the lord of a castle and also the son of a high ranking politician, you could stretch that into being royalty.

We don't really know Geddoe's childhood before he got the True Lightning rune do we? We don't know what his standing was.

Edited: Apparently I should stay away from short forms. . .
Last edited by Oppenheimer on Wed May 23, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Oppenheimer wrote:Thomas was the lord of a castle and also the son of a high ranking politician, you could stretch that into being royalty.

We don't really know Geddoe's childhood before he got the TW rune do we? We don't know what his standing was.
he meant the true Lightning Rune
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Well the Suikoden world needs more Characters like Geddoe. He belongs to the group of favourites.

But yes... a rough neck of a commoner would be nice. No contact to nobility or royalty tilll the age of 18 or something. I have sooo many ideas but too bad that I don't work for Konami. Well here are some examples for male commoners:

-son of a fisherman living in a small house at the beach.
-son of a hunter living in a hut in the middle of the forest.
-thief who steals to survive in the slums and underworld from... hmm let's say Vinay del Zexay (I love that city)
-a smuggler....

Well I would prefere main heroes who are criminals... before they get their runes and completely change their way of life. You know what I mean? I want 1 or 2 chapters as the "rough neck commoner" (look above) just to see how he lives and then the rune chapter :)

Pokerface
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de