Suikoden VI hero weapon

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
sundown78

Suikoden VI hero weapon

Post by sundown78 »

Figured I'd bring this up. Of course, traditionally the Tenkai star of Suikoden has used a blunt-edged weapon. Any ideas for what you'd like to see our hero wield the next time around?
Raijin

Re: Suikoden VI hero weapon

Post by Raijin »

Thomas broke that tradition when he used his rusty old sword...
I hated Tir's way of holding his Bo-stick in Suikoden I, but it changed to the better in Suikoden II. I think Jowy's stance was the coolest looking of all the Bo-sticks wielders.

Anyway my choice of weapons is the two swords, like Lazlo and Nash (in his Gaiden games). That's why I won't stop abusing Kika an' Lazlo's co-op attack in Tactics. :twisted:
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering no Tenkai Star has ever used a ranged weapon, it might be time for that class of weapons to take precedence.

I'm thinking either a Boomerang or a Gun, just to keep things on the odd side for weapons (Guns are odd in the Suikoden world, as opposed to bows and arrows)
Formerly known as: Gothann
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

LanceHeart wrote:Considering no Tenkai Star has ever used a ranged weapon, it might be time for that class of weapons to take precedence.

I'm thinking either a Boomerang or a Gun, just to keep things on the odd side for weapons (Guns are odd in the Suikoden world, as opposed to bows and arrows)
I doubt the Hero would use a ranged weapon as this would make duels a bit strange. It probably will be another blunt weapon of some sort, although I personally would like to see the Hero wield a sword.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering we've seen a Tenkai Star not have any duels, it's not unprecedented. Besides, if the Tenkai has a gun he's likely part of the Howling Voice Guild and most likely knows how to use close range weapons, too.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Well, the reason the Tenkai uses blunt weapons is because it allows them to be in the "M" status. So they can sit anywhere in the party and not be affected by people constantly flowing in and out. They're not given sharp blades because that gives them a "S" ranged status. And they're not given long ranged weapons cuz thats "L". Unless they make a special tenkai with a weapon that can be used in either position. Like a boomerang with blades on it that is big enough to be used as a blade or a boomerang so they can retain the "M" status.

I have no clue, really. But the game would be awkward with a tenkai that has a specific row to be in.
Leebot

Post by Leebot »

Falenan_descent wrote:Well, the reason the Tenkai uses blunt weapons is because it allows them to be in the "M" status. So they can sit anywhere in the party and not be affected by people constantly flowing in and out. They're not given sharp blades because that gives them a "S" ranged status. And they're not given long ranged weapons cuz thats "L". Unless they make a special tenkai with a weapon that can be used in either position. Like a boomerang with blades on it that is big enough to be used as a blade or a boomerang so they can retain the "M" status.

I have no clue, really. But the game would be awkward with a tenkai that has a specific row to be in.
Just being a bladed weapon doesn't mean it has to be S-range. Look at Lyon for example, or Killey in S2 (where he used twin swords that he concealed in his cloak). Granted, you could excuse Lyon as they might have fudged it since she's required in the party for so much of the game, but no such excuse for Killey. Also, most axes, despite being bladed, are M-range.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what makes characters like Lyon or Killey who use short bladed weapons M-range. Maybe it has to do with their dexterity in battle and how good they are at jumping back and forth.
TrueEightfold

Post by TrueEightfold »

I would agree with you, Leebot, in that it is their dexterity. If you notice, especially in SV, the L range characters tended to have a higher SPD stat. I mean look at Cathari, talk about quick on your feet. And the characters that are L have the ability to fight anywhere on the battlefield, not just the back rows. So in short, I agree, it's not the weapon, it's their quickness.

Gun, never gonna happen
Boomerang? Eh...I could have possibly seen that in SIII with the Grasslanders, but not in the future.
Boomerang with blades on it?....not even gonna touch that one.

I see another type of staff coming. What about a halberd? Its huge, so the effect of impact would be quite blunt ^_^
"We did not choose to be the guardians at the gate, but there is no one else"
sundown78

Re: Suikoden VI hero weapon

Post by sundown78 »

Raijin wrote:Thomas broke that tradition when he used his rusty old sword...
I hated Tir's way of holding his Bo-stick in Suikoden I, but it changed to the better in Suikoden II. I think Jowy's stance was the coolest looking of all the Bo-sticks wielders.

Anyway my choice of weapons is the two swords, like Lazlo and Nash (in his Gaiden games). That's why I won't stop abusing Kika an' Lazlo's co-op attack in Tactics. :twisted:
Yeah, Thomas did break the tradition. Still, in Suikoden III, I always kind of considered the Flame Champion to be the game's "hero" in a sense. He's the one you name at the beginning, plus he's got that blunt-edged staff (not to mention the famous Tenkai headband). I know, he wasn't actually a playable character. I just think he was kind of Konami's nod to previous Suikoden games.

As for future weapons, a pair of kali sticks might not be such a bad idea. As the game progresses and skills are upgraded, he could start rattling off combos like Sonya does with the sticks in the PS2 Mortal Kombats. Just some food for thought.
Riou_99

Post by Riou_99 »

the axe is my favorite weapon.I'd like to see that.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

I would agree with you, Leebot, in that it is their dexterity. If you notice, especially in SV, the L range characters tended to have a higher SPD stat. I mean look at Cathari, talk about quick on your feet. And the characters that are L have the ability to fight anywhere on the battlefield, not just the back rows. So in short, I agree, it's not the weapon, it's their quickness.
Yeah, L's can be used anywhere on the battlefield but they're meant to be in the back row as they're not as effective in the front row. And Lyon's weapon may be sharp blades but it's not heavy and it folds nicely into a little sheath. But people obviously carrying swords will always be "S".
darkphoenix

Post by darkphoenix »

I think 2 knives like Miakis has are pretty cool. Also I would not mind the idea of a boomrang, the only thong is that it s a fairly weak weapon (cf Sialeeds/Sharmista)
Riou_99

Post by Riou_99 »

What about nun-chucks?or a Katana?Those could be 'm' ranged weapons.Katanas arnt that heavy and Nanami used nun-chucks and was 'm' ranged.
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

i think that it wouldn't seem to out of place if the tenkai wielded a bow and a sword, link did it in zelda and became an awesome character, in fact you could sharpen both and it could add some options too your character. of course suikoden always breaks the old way of doing things so why not do things like that. in duels you could use swords, no options, must be traditional. in normal fights, it would depend on where you placed him in the row and the other option just wouldn't really work. S-range for the sword, and L-range for the bow. i say bow because i think that it would be better for the tenkai too have more of a experienced background this type of round instead of a more isolated situation giving all the tenkais before really never had much battle experienced. Note that in each game your always at the beginning of training or coming back from some small military practice. except thomas who just gets to buy some castle with no battle experience ever, nor does much in the game. i just think it would seem cooler if the tenkai was young yet, knew skills, not necessarily making him level 20 at the beginning, it would remain the lvl 1 start, they would just fight better in scenes with cool skills. this i believe would make the game seem more interesting because everyone would already pretty much know your character when it came to the suikoden world. rather then everyone not knowing your character until they start going to war. but a bow and a sword would be really interesting and helpful esspecially in situations where your fighting by yourself. yeah
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
sundown78

Post by sundown78 »

Wicked_Rune_Bearer wrote:i think that it wouldn't seem to out of place if the tenkai wielded a bow and a sword, link did it in zelda and became an awesome character, in fact you could sharpen both and it could add some options too your character. of course suikoden always breaks the old way of doing things so why not do things like that. in duels you could use swords, no options, must be traditional. in normal fights, it would depend on where you placed him in the row and the other option just wouldn't really work. S-range for the sword, and L-range for the bow. i say bow because i think that it would be better for the tenkai too have more of a experienced background this type of round instead of a more isolated situation giving all the tenkais before really never had much battle experienced. Note that in each game your always at the beginning of training or coming back from some small military practice. except thomas who just gets to buy some castle with no battle experience ever, nor does much in the game. i just think it would seem cooler if the tenkai was young yet, knew skills, not necessarily making him level 20 at the beginning, it would remain the lvl 1 start, they would just fight better in scenes with cool skills. this i believe would make the game seem more interesting because everyone would already pretty much know your character when it came to the suikoden world. rather then everyone not knowing your character until they start going to war. but a bow and a sword would be really interesting and helpful esspecially in situations where your fighting by yourself. yeah
Multiple weapons is an intriguing idea. Might be worth looking into. I thought Suikoden V did a pretty good job by adding battle formations, so that you compensate for certain characters' range. Definitely hope they keep that for Suikoden VI, and add some new formations while they're at it.