Rune Spells

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Ifreet

Re: Rune Spells

Post by Ifreet »

:?: I wonder if it would be feasible to add 1 more rune slot like a crest, tattoo, or skill. Maybe it could be only for support/effect runes thus allowing you to use more runes, no?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

maybe it should just be based on your MAG stat and can even just follow your MP system... once you get a lvl 2, you can now cast 2 lvl 1s or 1 lvl 2. this makes a lot of sense in balancing characters out, because as the game progresses mages can just attack for the same damage as their lvl 1 spells making them completely obsolete. allowing mages to cast more spells in a turn can make them more powerful than a fighter who is at the same level at the cost of using more MP each turn.

another idea instead of casting spells multiple times would be to use more MP points to make a single spell stronger. similar concept, but now you can't use a bunch of single-target spells to hit multiple enemies.... it's just a stronger single-target spell cast once. if you are able to use 9 lvl 1's into 1 spell it shouldn't do 9x damage though.... it should do less so you can't just abuse it by launching a 9x lvl 1, 9x lvl 2, 6x lvl 3 spell in the first 3 turns. as you add more MP into 1 spell the returns for damage should decrease. maybe adding your first MP to the spell gives you like +90% dmg, the next gives +80%......

another way to do it is spending more time to chant a spell... Growlanser and Ar Tonelico have this, and Suikoden III already had chant times for powerful spells. but letting weak spells get stronger if you chant longer makes sense.. the returns should be greater the longer you chant.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

We had a taste of this multi-casting in Suikoden V in the form of Viki, but honestly it almost made her a dead weight due to Suikoden's limited MP system. Because of her fixed rune, she could not equip the Magic Drain rune, which was what made the other mages more attractive to use.

Thus if they were introduce multi-casting, I hope they consider introducing also a relatively inexpensive way of managing mages' MP. Those Mushrooms and Mints from Suikoden IV were a good start.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

patapi wrote:We had a taste of this multi-casting in Suikoden V in the form of Viki, but honestly it almost made her a dead weight due to Suikoden's limited MP system. Because of her fixed rune, she could not equip the Magic Drain rune, which was what made the other mages more attractive to use.

Thus if they were introduce multi-casting, I hope they consider introducing also a relatively inexpensive way of managing mages' MP. Those Mushrooms and Mints from Suikoden IV were a good start.
I worshiped those Magic Drain runes.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Black knight overlord

Post by Black knight overlord »

If you could customize weapons with spells, it would be too much like ffx,and combining runes would be like Rikkus mix. Since suikoden tactics also gets its name from ff tactics, I think there shoud be a more original approach to customized weapons.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In turn, Final Fantasy Tactics got its name from its "true" predecessor, Tactics Ogre. Your point?

Attaching runes to weapons is nothing new in Suikoden, a variety of that system has been with the series since Day 1. Suikoden had those rune pieces, Suikoden II had whole runes, for example.

Rikku was hardly original either.