Konami Cameos

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Tenkai Fan

Konami Cameos

Post by Tenkai Fan »

To those interested, I'd like help with gathering info on characters from other Konami games who could make cameos in future Suikoden games either as recruitable characters or enemies. When I say "who could," I mean characters who have at least some type of reason for appearing in the Suikoden universe.

I know Oleg from Suikoden 4 is supposedly a cameo from Konami's "Shadow of Destiny" (which I love), but he really doesn't have any reason for being there. Oleg from Sui4 is born IS 246 and Oleg from "Shadow of Destiny" appears in 1980. Yes, they are probably different characters, but they are very similar. This sparked my interest in other cameo's that could be possible.

So far I've ruled out all of Contra, because that world seems too far advanced. Castlevania seems unlikely, because the first Belmont appears around the 1900's I believe. Hmm, Dracula could make an appearance, but that'd just be silly. I mean, really "Dracula joins your entourage!" Silly.

I seen some bonus video thing from Metal Gear Solid of Raiden warping and time traveling everywhere. He pops up in the original MG for the NES once in the video. I know he's not a very popular character, but he might make a cool cameo. He has a sword. Ahem.

The last one I could find, there could be another cameo from "Shadow of Destiny" since that game revolves around time travel. Maybe Eike or the Homunculus.

Please, if anyone else has some ideas for cameos I'd very much like to hear them. I'm not a huge fan of Konami (only actually still own the Suikoden's), but it kind of irked me back when I had Konami Krazy Racers on GBA. Not one single Suikoden character made the cut for a portable kart racing game.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

i wouldn't call it a cameo but i think the whole neclord/kahn marley storyline is atleast an homage to castlevania. i really can't think of anything else.

if there are going to be cameos i don't think they should be the same characters just "stopping by" from another game. like oleg, i think they should just be based off characters from past games, but be completely separate within the series. that is to say, oleg in suikoden iv and oleg in shadow of destiny are two different characters that happen to look the same and have the same name. i can't grasp someone time-travelling or space-hopping from a different video game dimension or whatever... that's when the series moves too far in the "campy" direction.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

There's really no point at all in having cameos from other games in Suikoden, is there? Just doesn't make sense at all (the whole cameo thing in general) and especially not in the Suikoden world.
Purr.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

i think cameos are a bad idea aswell, though tribute type characters could work, where there similar, and you know there based on a certain character, but its not actualy them
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

I agree and Disagree..

I love Cameos, but from other suikoden games, i don't think cameos work from another series, it ruins the atmosphere.
Tenkai Fan

Post by Tenkai Fan »

I don't think they ruin the atmosphere that much. Oleg didn't for me. In fact, he reminded me of Shadow of Destiny and how much I liked that game. But again, I wouldn't mind seeing someone from the Konami universe making a cameo, but having a good reason for being there.

Is it really that hard to grasp some character time-travelling or space-hoping? I mean we are talking about Konami. A lot of there games do involve time and space.

It's just fun to think about the reasonable possibilities, I guess. There's Viki's magical world, The Homonculus' void from Shadow of Destiny, the weird 7day everlasting island of Ephemeral Phantasia..

I think the last two would make more sense happening than other cameos I've seen. (Like Cloud in Tactics or the guy from Loom in Monkey Island, which were both neat.)
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

Tenkai Fan wrote:Is it really that hard to grasp some character time-travelling or space-hoping? I mean we are talking about Konami. A lot of there games do involve time and space.
it's not hard to grasp in the least. it is very cheesy, however. which makes it more of just a stylistic preference for me. yeah sure, they can do whatever they want, it just has "cruddy early 90s kids cartoon show" written all over it.

"oh joy, solid snake found a crack in space and became one of the 108 stars of destiny!"
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Viki is cruddy early 90s kids cartoon show cheesy? Crap, can't use her anymore!!!
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

WaterMoon wrote:Viki is cruddy early 90s kids cartoon show cheesy? Crap, can't use her anymore!!!
viki was there from the beginning. she didn't warp over from some other game. jesus. it was the premise of someone warping over from another game, not the thought of teleportation. wow, why do i post on this board?
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Not saying cameos from another game is a good idea, I don't think it fits in the Suikoverse. But you were saying that time/space travel was a cheesy idea, and that's Viki's whole shtick.
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

To be honest, I wouldn't think it would be the brightest move on Konami part. However, I suppse if Solid Snake is going to be on the latest Super mario fighting game. Anything is possible... :?
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

eh, Smash Bros doesn't count, it's nothing but cameos beating the ever loving crap out of each other. Though watching Kirby eat Pikachu is pretty rewarding in its own right. >.> <.< >.>
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Indeed :lol:

Well, you pretty much get what I was really trying to say. If it is a cameo, than hopefully the character won't have any prior or direct knowledge of the other game/universe it was in, and it has to FIT. Can't have Crash Bandacoot(spelling?) running around in a suikoden game, catch my drift?
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

No cameos - no long lost relatives of characters.

New, original, characters please.
AndyJP

Post by AndyJP »

I can't think of any other Konami games that have characters that would fit into Suikoden in any way. I see it more likely for Suikoden characters to cameo in other Konami games.