Suikoden VI Visual Preference

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
CJack14dt

Suikoden VI Visual Preference

Post by CJack14dt »

So so far we've had a couple of setups for the Suikoden visuals: 2D, 3D (doll-like characters) and 3D (Anime/Doll-like). For Suikoden VI which would you prefer or how do you hope the creators steer the graphics? I personally wouldn't mind a game similar to VP: Silmeria graphics, still kind of doll looking but with realistic backdrops or even FFXII type graphics. Is there any setup that would deter you from the game?
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I really think that konami should go back to the Old 2D Suikoden setup but with high-end graphics and then pull all the 3D stops out in battles and one to ones as well as normal fights. Alot of poeple are worried that if they went to 2D/3D setup that it would put an end to close cutscenes. But I say to hell with cutseens. The thing I like about suikoden 1 and 2 is that you have to use your imagination to put together the voices and expressions of the characters, put simply suikoden is'nt as personal as it was before.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:I really think that konami should go back to the Old 2D Suikoden setup but with high-end graphics and then pull all the 3D stops out in battles.
Why?

That's utterly pointless. And a step backwards.

God, people who insist games be 2-D are like people who insist women can't vote....a throwback to the stone age.

The look of Suikoden V was fine. Keep it.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

And I suppose your the kinda person who says "why read a book when you can watch a movie". Use your imagination. The use of 3D graphics just means that suikoden are trying to explain more to the player visually. But in suikoden 1 and 2 you had to use your imagination. Thats all Im saying.

P.S. Read a book recently?
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Why the hell can't a game be 3D and still be good? I'm sick and tired of seeing people imply that if the game's graphics are good, then the story must suck. I loved the 2D Suikodens, but also understand the necessity of them upgrading to better graphics in the later games.
Purr.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:And I suppose your the kinda person who says "why read a book when you can watch a movie". Use your imagination. The use of 3D graphics just means that suikoden are trying to explain more to the player visually. But in suikoden 1 and 2 you had to use your imagination. Thats all Im saying.

P.S. Read a book recently?
Just finished reading Vampire Hunter D Volume 5

I prefer books to movies, but thanks for generalising me in one sentence. Now who's being mean?

There's nothing wrong with 3D graphics.

I don't know what you mean about Suikoden 1 and 2. The only thing I can think "in suikoden 1 and 2 you had to use your imagination" means is that people were imagining what the games would like like....with 3D graphics.

At this point, 2D graphics would be nothing but nostalgia.
bench2hotty

Post by bench2hotty »

I DID realy have a good time imagining how they say the dialouges in the game and i realy like imagining what tir's voice sounds like BUT i also like 3d since you can see the place in full details and better fight scenes like the 1on1 duels of the prince.
I look better in black armor and you know it!
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

nephlabobo wrote:I prefer books to movies, but thanks for generalising me in one sentence. Now who's being mean?
I am sorry, I dont like to be mean. I really dont. You kinda sound like you trying to attack me instead of giving your opinion. If that was'nt your intention then I apologise again.

P.S. VAMPIRE HUNTER D ROCKS, YOU GOTTA LOVE THAT HAND. I GOT A VAMP D T-SHIRT FOR MY 16TH BIRTHD, AND I STILL HAVE THE GAME FOR PS1. CANT BEAT IT.

Anyway Sorry to everyone else as well.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Okay I've been noticing something after spending some time reading the posts here. It seems that nephlabobo and Sniper Zegai tend to get tangled up in different opinions. Please learn to respect one another's opinion even if it's different than yours, and STOP being rude to one another.
nephlabobo wrote:Why? That's utterly pointless. And a step backwards. God, people who insist games be 2-D are like people who insist women can't vote....a throwback to the stone age.
This is prime example of being rude. Sniper Zegai can like 2D if he wants to. It's not your place to say that it's "utterly pointless". If he likes 2D, then so be it. I think this thread would be utterly pointless if everyone says "I WANT 3D" and ended up repeating everyone's posts. Plus, it's rude to suddenly label "the people" like that just because someone likes 2D graphics.
Sniper Zegai wrote:And I suppose your the kinda person who says "why read a book when you can watch a movie".
This is also an example of being rude. While I get your point, but it's unnecessary comment at all. Keep the discussion about the topic and not about the person posting the post.

I'm being dead serious here. If I see ONE more stupid cheap shot at one another between you two again, something bad is going to happen.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
killbot1000

Post by killbot1000 »

is there Anybody out there who doesn't care? Who likes 2-d or 3-d exactly the same as long as it has a killer storyline and new game play elements? Because that's what I think, but...not many people seem to share my view, its all GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHIX!!!KLJLKJ@, and I couldn't give a shoot about them, sure, it can definitely help a game but, it should be an afterthought, not the purpose for making the game..., my thoughts anyway
EDIT by Red Killy: Please read the rules regarding Avatar. Removed due to breaching the rules.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

I like the 3D graphics they use, though in some ways, I kinda wish they'd use actual animation for some of the more important cut scenes. Although the 3D graphics work for the most part (gameplay and such), I found that I didn't care for them as much for some of the more serious scenes. [spoiler]The biggest being Roy's possible death scene. His body falling off the bridge just looked strange, and to be honest, almost comical to me despite the seriousness of the moment.[/spoiler] Although Konami does a great job generally with the story, dialogue, character designs, and scenes for the Suikoden games, they're not SquareEnix when it comes to graphics and I doubt they ever will be. However, the opening animation for Suikoden III was beautiful, and I think it might benefit Konami to use animation for some of the more powerful scenes in the game, especially since the 3D character models are based on drawings in the first place.

But, that's just my 2 cents.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

killbot1000 wrote:is there Anybody out there who doesn't care? Who likes 2-d or 3-d exactly the same as long as it has a killer storyline and new game play elements? Because that's what I think, but...not many people seem to share my view, its all GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHIX!!!KLJLKJ@, and I couldn't give a shoot about them, sure, it can definitely help a game but, it should be an afterthought, not the purpose for making the game..., my thoughts anyway
Hmmmmm, Im inclined to agree with you killbot1000. PLaystation 1 graphics were all 3d and relatively new. When I played Suikoden 1, it had crap graphics compared to the PS1 but I loved it for its storyline. The irony is thats probably why I want the return of a hybrid 2d/3d suikoden. I geuss I want that edge that says "Im not as flashy as other games but I still rock!" You know what I mean?
killbot1000

Post by killbot1000 »

Yeah, this is just whats going through my head, I'm sure that game companies get just as long to make a game now as they did 10 years ago, and with the graphics getting more and more complex, they have to sacrifice other things to get the game out there on time a lot of times, for example, the music usually suffers, the writing usually suffers, etc. All I'm saying is that graphics are great, but they shouldn't be put in front of the games other aspects. I mean, take PS2 rpg's vs. ps1 rpgs for example, while the PS2 rpgs are technically better, it is way harder to get that special feeling of "oh shoot...I just played a really really good game". I thought I was just gettting older, but then I played Suikoden V and got that cool ass feeling again (and the game was only 40 dollars), and Im like "I havent changed, the games just have...". I mean, where's the Xenogears, the Chrono Cross's, etc. The games just tend to be a lot more forgettable today, which makes me sad. Its because the videogame industry is big now, and when industries become big its no longer an artform, it becomes all about the money.
EDIT by Red Killy: Please read the rules regarding Avatar. Removed due to breaching the rules.
killbot1000

Post by killbot1000 »

Futagi wrote:I like the 3D graphics they use, though in some ways, I kinda wish they'd use actual animation for some of the more important cut scenes. Although the 3D graphics work for the most part (gameplay and such), I found that I didn't care for them as much for some of the more serious scenes. [spoiler]The biggest being Roy's possible death scene. His body falling off the bridge just looked strange, and to be honest, almost comical to me despite the seriousness of the moment.[/spoiler] Although Konami does a great job generally with the story, dialogue, character designs, and scenes for the Suikoden games, they're not SquareEnix when it comes to graphics and I doubt they ever will be. However, the opening animation for Suikoden III was beautiful, and I think it might benefit Konami to use animation for some of the more powerful scenes in the game, especially since the 3D character models are based on drawings in the first place.

But, that's just my 2 cents.

Yeah, suikoden III was an OK suikoden, but what they did in that opening scene was pure magic, that scene seriously made me want to play that game over and over again, even if I was stuck hehe.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I agree Killbot, maybe I should'nt be so bothered by the graphic preference. As long as Suikoden still delivers hard hitting story tellers with a large cast of diverse and interesting characters (good and bad) I will always love suikoden and keep buying them regardless of the graphics.

P.S. Welcome to the forums Killbot :D