Suikoden VI Visual Preference

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden VI Visual Preference

Post by KFCrispy »

i sometimes don't play games because the controls are clunky, and this clunkiness usually comes from designers trying to use polygons and making things more "realistic" even though it looks horribly fake. a lot of game designers are trying to be more "realistic" in motions and graphics and it takes away what you can control and still fails to be "realistic". I mean in real life, when you turn, you don't slowly turn every single time you turn... you don't walk at a horrendously slow pace so much that you always have to hold the "run" button in a video game to get somewhere in a reasonable time.... and when you try to hit some object that is short you don't swing your weapon over it.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

i sometimes don't play games because the controls are clunky, and this clunkiness usually comes from designers trying to use polygons and making things more "realistic" even though it looks horribly fake. a lot of game designers are trying to be more "realistic" in motions and graphics and it takes away what you can control and still fails to be "realistic". I mean in real life, when you turn, you don't slowly turn every single time you turn... you don't walk at a horrendously slow pace so much that you always have to hold the "run" button in a video game to get somewhere in a reasonable time.... and when you try to hit some object that is short you don't swing your weapon over it.
You also can't use shove crystals into your hand allowing you to use magic, you can't talk to giant Unicorns in a forest, and there are no furry, humanoid animal people walking around. I think the designers need to look at the fact that, although realistic is nice in some games/situations Suikoden isn't one of them.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

Actually if they were to go back to 2d i would like it if it was like suikoden 1 but made in a better version to be more up to date of course, i liked how in suikoden 1 the color was more brighter than suikoden 2. it wouldn't be bad if they followed in atlus's footsteps and did something similar to how "Odin Sphere" and "Grim Grimoire" came out.

If it is 3d which is more than likely than it would be cool if it was more like "Valkyrie Profile Silmeria" 's graphics. but if not then they could atleast make it similar to "Kya Dark Lineage" 's graphics.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

but if not then they could atleast make it similar to "Kya Dark Lineage" 's graphics.
I wouldn't mind graphics like that, they are detailed and 3D but not so realistic you think your watching a movie in the FMV's. I just don't see the need to go all out that way in Suikoden.
-Chaco
8hachifusa8

Post by 8hachifusa8 »

I thought the cutscenes in Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn had impressive graphics. It looked like a fusion of anime + 3d, I think it could work well in the next suikoden. I prefer cel-shading over the "too realistic" myself.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I've been playing the Valkyria Chronicles demo and watching quite a few gameplay vids of the Japanese version and can honestly say that the CANVAS engine would be great for the next Suikoden. Modify it slightly to make it look more like a hand-drawn game instead of a watercolor painting and I can definitely see Suikoden 6 in that style.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Silvermouse

Re:

Post by Silvermouse »

killbot1000 wrote:is there Anybody out there who doesn't care? Who likes 2-d or 3-d exactly the same as long as it has a killer storyline and new game play elements? Because that's what I think, but...not many people seem to share my view, its all GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHIX!!!KLJLKJ@, and I couldn't give a shoot about them, sure, it can definitely help a game but, it should be an afterthought, not the purpose for making the game..., my thoughts anyway
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the graphics as long as the story, music and characters rock, although Suikoden IV seemed a bit bland.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

LanceHeart wrote:I've been playing the Valkyria Chronicles demo and watching quite a few gameplay vids of the Japanese version and can honestly say that the CANVAS engine would be great for the next Suikoden. Modify it slightly to make it look more like a hand-drawn game instead of a watercolor painting and I can definitely see Suikoden 6 in that style.
I agree. It would save them a lot of work (and therefore money), while providing a visual style that matches the series well.
ThricebornPhoenix

Re:

Post by ThricebornPhoenix »

Miklotov wrote:Well I have to agree that it seemed when Suikoden went to PS2 they relied more on the graphics rather than the story..
Which was the first Suikoden to sport FMV sequences? For spell animations, at that? That's right, it was Suikoden II (which also reused a large number of SI's characters, rather than create a whole new cast). The only animation/FMV I remember from SIII is the intro. I think a lot of opinions here are based more on nostalgia than on the games themselves.
shitow wrote:For myself I hate cell shade... no really it looks too "cartoon" and suikoden series are dealing with serious stuff .. even though there's humor ^_^
The very first Suikoden had ninjas, pirates, a vampire and zombies, robots, Tolkienesque elves and dwarves, kobolds, dragons, an alien/demon, Narcissists, and God knows what else. I don't think it was ever meant to be taken too seriously... not to the extent that any particular type of graphics is unsuitable.

I don't think that what you use matters as much as how you use it, anyway. I think Suikoden Tactics - which uses cel-shading - looks almost perfect.
"Evil is always a distortion or an exaggeration of something that is good. People don't understand that now." - Gene Wolfe, an interview
Hikari

Post by Hikari »

Graphics doesnt matter if you like the game, but wouldnt it be better if they upgrade it, or retain s5 graphics? it would totally boost suiko's popularity in the gaming world. ^^ :D
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Hikari wrote:Graphics doesnt matter if you like the game
Huh?? But in the case of 'getting to know' the game, most gamers consider the graphics first BEFORE they like the game, right?

And, for me, graphics matter, at least in new games. I am not appreciating DS games as well as most people do because of the graphics. I haven't finish a single game of the DS. I'm not sure why..

Video games are books with graphics all over there to fill in your imagination..So I guess that's the reason...?

But the important thing is: Suikoden II will forever be an exception to this! ^_^
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

But the important thing is: Suikoden II will forever be an exception to this! ^_^
I think the graphics are not the number one thing for me, but I'm a writer to so I can imagine thigns in books just fine, however Graphics DO improve the game for sure, however I think the graphics in Suikoden 3-5 are so-so, they are not amazing but they don't suck either. Suikoden 2 I thouht had great graphics, because of the time it was made and it sort of had it's own feel to it, which I liked. Suikoden 1 the artwork was awfull. It's the only thing about Suikoden 1 I didn't like when I played it, but the story had me drawn in enough I was able to play it still. (Plus Cleo)
-Chaco
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

I really like how they did it with Suikoden 5, and would like to see it return.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

I'll give some points i've taken from suikoden 2 graphic

- Let us see the villager we have to protect. Suikoden 5 was very weak in this. I want to see the diversity of the cities. Their architecture design and their fashion sense. Two River anyone.

- Give the people some activity. I very like how we can see kids playing on Suikoden 2, Yuzu riding her sheep, some star drinking in the bar. Don't make them only standing there.

- Proper soundtrack. Give the feeling of surrounding. Ryusei village with "A Peaceful Mountain Villlage" really hit the spot and therefore made it unforgetable.
qwsed

Post by qwsed »

Go back to the roots! 2D! 2D graphics can be extremly well done today! Suikoden 2 was their best game.
Kinnison:
"Life is a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all."