Suikoden VI Visual Preference

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
sundown78

Post by sundown78 »

nephlabobo wrote:The graphics style was great in S3 - but for the love of god, give us a full 360 rotating camera.

The S5 camera was *awful*.
I couldn't agree more. It took me forever to find that alley in Stormfist, early in the game, where you meet Shoon and progress the story. Also, there was actually a point and time that I didn't realize there were shops in Estrise, because they were all located down that slim little alley with that horrid completely overhead view. Stumbled upon them by accident. If they keep the 3/4 overhead view for Suikoden VI, there absolutely must be an adjustable camera for the game.

While I'm on the subject, towns, in general need to be vastly improved for Suikoden VI. I thought most towns in Suikoden V were very poorly done. No logical construction to them whatsoever (the HQ was the same way), and some "shops" that merely consisted of a guy with a sign over his head. But I digress. I just want those things improved for the next game.
tmxdragoon

Post by tmxdragoon »

I would like the next suikoden to look like a enhanced version of Suiko 3. Suikoden 3, in my opinion, was on the right track except the map was kinda dumb.

Other things I wish that would be brought back is the skill system, the cool rune animations(Suiko 1, 2, & 3) not the fast crappy versions like Suiko 4 & 5 had, and the trinity sight system. The TSS was a new and impressive idea I think was cool, it was neat separating the story into parts and coming together as a whole by different character points of view.

But suiko V was good for the fact that it reflected on suiko 2 a lot and thats a good thing because suiko 2 was great. Plus this game had improved greatly on character design since suiko 4.
Ralphy Leone Tensei

Post by Ralphy Leone Tensei »

Suikoden VI should follow the flow of the next generation. There should be better and smoother character designs, effects, and cutscenes.
ShortyBoo

Post by ShortyBoo »

I don't really care how the graphics look as long as it's a good story. 1 & 2 were my favorites story-wise, with 3 & 5 followed closely behind. I just hope Suikoden VI won't be on the PS3 because it will probably be several years (meaning once it drops to less than $300) before I'll have one.
Scotts

Re: Suikoden VI Visual Preference

Post by Scotts »

Well. I am new to the forums, signing up anyway, i occasionally trawl them.

Personally, I prefered the 2D Graphics. 3D was nice, but it just doesnt feel Suikoden for me, the 3D gives it more of a Final Fantasy or Tales of ____ Feel, for me atleast.

I grew up playing Suikoden 1 and 2.
Only last year I read the Manga for 3, being in Australia I cant get it in game form. =\

And my sister, managed to get one of the limited copies of Suikoden 5 when it came out in Australia. I am currently Playing it, and for the sake of making it feel more Suikoden than it does I am only using the Standard Formation. The lackof proper boss fights that takes more than 2 turns to kill is disappointing.

I largely prefer 2D, and believe it would be interesting if Konami remade 1 to 5 in 2D (Leaving the graphics and original translations of 1 and 2 alone, except for fixing a few spelling errors, unless Nanami says kiiled instead of killed on purpose, in everyday use :lol:) for both PSP and Nintendo DS, I myself owning mainly Nintendo Products. It wont happen, but I would love for it to.

Those are just my thoughts but.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

What about the Suikoden 6 graphics in cel shading? Think this could look really well if they pull it off?
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

Well ive been playin games forever sice iwas like 5 or 6 on the mega drive snes an amega an i loved the 2D games but then a games would come out in 3D an not in 2D an most of them looked crap but its getting good now with the PS3 an all.. but anyway S1 an 2 were the best of the series (THEY FUCKIN RULE) an what i would like ta see with S6 is 2D like S2 style yet next-gen (amazin animation clothes blowing in wind characters breathing that sort of thing an voices but real voice actors...) (takes sooo long on PS3 to type.. a need a keybord lol) 8)
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

I don't see why we necessarily need to go back to 2D. What made 1&2 great was more the storyline and the characters than the fact that it was 2-D.

But if Suikoden were to go back to 2D, maybe they could do it on the handheld systems. It'd be pretty fun on a DS.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Well.. in my opinion, 2D was good and the storylinie was wonderful! I did believe that as the Graphic gets better, the story gets worst. But thats not true for every game. I actually believe that Suikoden should continue on with 3D. As they go on, they will improve a lot. Look at Final Fantasy. Their graphic now is so advance and realistic. I believe that GS5 is good, but they can do way better than that. So, getting to the point. I really think they should contineu on with 3D. 2D was great, but 3D can be as good too.
Nick Bruiser
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I liked Suikoden 2 graphics best. It was attractive yet still not to overboard. It was 3D and the facesets, battle and characters all looked great to look at.

I disliked 4 the most. I think the water looked horrible and everything looked ragged and kinda slapped together. The world map especially sucked. The characters looked decent but kind of bland in my opinon.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

The ballance between the Geography & Architecture in the suikoden world is excellent, Toran,Dunan,The grasslands,Zexen are mostly land, The island nation is more related to the sea, maybe visuality within the ocean is different from the land because of the many areas from forests to mountains & different places you can go to on land, we now know the problems in the island nation & the rune of punishment war.

1 - A bigger story & quests.
2 - the number & size of islands should've been increased.
3 - more forces & nations should've involved in the story.
4 - give the stars of destiny more role in the story.
5 - the brightness of the screen
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Chaco wrote:I disliked 4 the most. I think the water looked horrible and everything looked ragged and kinda slapped together. The world map especially sucked. The characters looked decent but kind of bland in my opinon.
The graphics for Razril, where you start were particularly terrible. Not a good way to kick off the game.
BlackKnightYuber

Post by BlackKnightYuber »

I'd go with cell-shading, with graphics leaning a bit more on the cartoony side. Nothing overboard, though. Find a happy medium between real and fantasy.
Author

Post by Author »

They will definitely go 3D, but if the 3D will be as good as Blizzard's work in World of Warcraft, then S6 will DEFINITELY be better.

What I want them to bring back is the good intro. S1 intro was horrible. S2 was okay--quite good. S3 intro was THE BEST. Gaiden intros were quite good, more than 2. S4 intro had a great music, quite bad 3D movie though. S5 was pretty good but they sure were cheap to show more 'dramatics'. I didn't enjoy S5 music intro either. I saw the scenes in S5 and loved the 3D-ness so far, but blurred. Again, if they can make it as good as WoW, cheers for Konami. I hate squarish, ugly pixels and lack of facial expression. That's the point of 3D isn't? More realistic. I'd love it to see their expressions not just their hands waving.

Again, I don't mind a 3D intro but I just hope they would make it BETTER than the wonderful intro of S3. Something that will make your heart pound just like how it did in S2 and S3.

And in the intro, they should add scenes from the previous Suikodens. At the way, it would make us happy and advertise the other series, like if S6 is a sequel of S3, they can make cutscenes from S4 - S5 - S1 - S2 - then S3. Refresh our minds, make us happy, make others happier and buy their games more.

I'd love to see improvement in the 3Dness. I didn't mind 2D, but I truly support Konami for the 3Dness...not just the choice of platforms >.>
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I HATE when people look at a game and go "I'm not playing that, just look at those shitty graphics!" Yes it is true that graphics do improve the quality of the gamje, HOWEVER a games playability and the enjoyment you get from playing it is not based strictly on graphics. Suikoden 1 is a great example of this.

However the graphics in Suikoden are great, they just touch the point of being advanced but they do not go into insane detail on every little thing and that allows us to use our minds and creativity a bit more, as well as pay more attention to things like Music, Storyline and battle dynamics to name a few things. I wouldn't mind better graphics in any way, just I hope if they do improve they allow room for other things as well.

Also in regards to the opening scenes, I agree Suikoden 3 was the best, the scenes allow us a glimpse of the story to come and allow us to get a feeling for what the game is all about, let's hope for a good one in Suikoden 6.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco