Alchemy: Could It Work?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
LoganAlpha30X13

Alchemy: Could It Work?

Post by LoganAlpha30X13 »

I had a thought that if they were to make a 6th Suikoden game that they could add alchemists to the list of characters, more mage like ones and then ones that more closely resemble a fighter or paladin. Suikoden games already have the trading feature they could just add an alchemist that you could bring items to and for a fee they'd make armor and items and that type of thing. It'd be like the trading feature and the alchemists could take up a few spots in the 108 stars that you have to get. So in the end I'm wondering what all of you think about could alchemy exist in the Suikoden world? I'll go now......................
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

umm, they had guys in S4 you could trade items to to get accesorys(sp?) and armour if im not mistaken
LoganAlpha30X13

Post by LoganAlpha30X13 »

Well that's close, but alchemy would allow you to get the best armor in the game and things like that or just special items. It's different than just trading items. I'll go now........................
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

S4 may not have alchemy, but they already have a function where raw materials can be altered into equipment if you give them to the proper shopkeepers. Adrienne the Blacksmith can forge you armour from metal types, whereas Phil the Tailor can sew you some clothing. The Mermaids make accessories.

They were the only way to mass produce some of the better equipment sets in the game.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I'm sure if there was a Dwarven or Sindarian based Suikoden or one where they had large involvement alchemy would play a huge part in the plot or at least be central to the professions of certain characters, the same could even be applied if a game set in Harmonia was to include the Howling Voice Guild.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

What does alchemy have to do with the Howling Voice Guild?
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

patapi wrote:What does alchemy have to do with the Howling Voice Guild?
The creation of gunpowder offcourse. That's alchemy.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Kamandohl was also an alchemist, so they already exist in Suikoden.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

The sad thing is, I think the author is aiming for more of a FMA type alchemist... Sad ponies.

Hopefully we'll never see any malarky like that within Suikoden.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Agreed.

But the examples of alchemy so far has been very effective, so it would be cool to see an alchemic society to be blessed or cursed? with a True Rune.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Forgiver Sign

Post by Forgiver Sign »

Now that would be pretty interesting. Having an alchemic society blessed or cursed with a True Rune, as you said, is just as sweet. :wink:
"Censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge."
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Possible known candidates would be a Sindarian Suikoden, a Dwarven Suikoden or a Harmonian Suikoden.

Or there could be an altogether new nation that is completely alchemic instead of having certain uses of alchemy, their whole lives are run by alchemy, so when they are confronted with the power of a True Rune they never knew existed, the consequences would be interesting for a story.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Well, there are still nations to explore. *Suikoden V information deleted* If any nation posseses knowledge in Alchemy, it should be some nation with deep ties with the Sindar.

Lemmy's edit: xXSqualleoNXx you should know better than to post Suikoden V info outside of it's designated forum(s) whilst the spoiler veil is still in effect, you've been here long enough.
Hmm...
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Plenty of nations already have knowledge of alchemy. Alchemy is nothing really "secret" within the suikoden world. Alchemy has existed for centuries and books have been written by alchemists such as Dennis Taurer and Bora Atkins, which are used by alchemists such as Kamandohl who pratice their art openly.

Techniques used by Blacksmiths, Rune Masters, Miners, Trciksters, and the Holwing Voice Guild are also derived from alchemy. Thankfully, Suikoden doesn't buy into the inaccruate portrayal of alchemy that has been spread through FMA and other media that simplifies and distorts alchemy. Murayama himself was well read in the history of alchemy, which is why they are presented naturally within the game (at least until Suikoden 3).
Last edited by Vextor on Tue May 30, 2006 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I've not heard of Dennis Taurer and Bora Atkins, who are they?

I'm guessing alchemists, but I don't remember seeing them in any Suikoden games, unless they are just mentioned characters or people not seen.